my car over heated for a few today.....

Gibson486

Lifer
Aug 9, 2000
I was parking and the heater just turned cold and the temp of the car just sky rocketed . Same thing happened months ago, but this time everything went back to normal after I came back from going ou to eat. I had to get something replaced in my car last time(brain fart, I cannot remember teh name of the part....what is the name of it?). My gf then was telling me that she thinks that NTB may have just fixed the part and not give me a new one. I think that the cold may have just got the part stuck. Either way, you think I should get it replaced, or is this probably just a one time thing and it will not get stuck again?

Gibson486

Lifer
Aug 9, 2000
so....should I replace this? Or do you think this happened just because it was really cold out?

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
not sure why you would lose hot air, water pump maybe? But I'd try the thermostat first, since its cheaper and easier to do.

Gibson486

Lifer
Aug 9, 2000
Originally posted by: Pepsi90919
in this order:

thermostat
water pump
flux capacitor

I was hopoing to try the flux capacitor first:(

It works fine now, though....so I am guessing something just got stuck for a moment. You think I should just replace the part (thermiostat)? Is it normal for it to get stuck once and work the rest of the time?

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
Try some of the Super Cleaner from prestone. You'll have to drain your antifreeze and then add it and water to fill it back up. Also if its getting below freezing it says not to use it.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Might want to check the level of coolant in your radiator too. How old is the car? YMM? Have you been maintaining it per the manufacturer's guidlines?

Gibson486

Lifer
Aug 9, 2000
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
Might want to check the level of coolant in your radiator too. How old is the car? YMM? Have you been maintaining it per the manufacturer's guidlines?

coolant was replaced about 4 months ago.

the car is only 6 years old, but it has a good number of miles on it (115k).

While it has not been babied, the car has been taken care of.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: Gibson486
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus

coolant was replaced about 4 months ago.

the car is only 6 years old, but it has a good number of miles on it (115k).

While it has not been babied, the car has been taken care of.

Just because it was replaced doesn't mean the level is okay now. I'd still check it.

Does sound like the thermostat though.

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
Thinking about this some more, say the thermostat was stuck closed, wouldn't he still be getting hot air? Isn't the heater core behind the thermostat along with the water pump, therefore would still be circulating thru the engine and heater core? cool air would mean no circulating thru the heater core?