My car (MUSTANG) is losing power and the gas efficiency is dropping badly. What to do?

stso

Platinum Member
Nov 17, 2000
I'm driving a 2000 Ford Mustang Coupe

In the beginning, I can get average 21~25 mile/gal :D
Now I can only get 15 mile/gal :Q

Also, I feel the power is much weaker than it was ...

For your information. For the maintaince part, I only did oil change regularly and change the air fuilter once a year.
Do I need to do anything else?

Someone plz save my car :(

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
Plugged fuel injector nozzles? Try a couple of bottles of some type of fuel system cleaner.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: stso
Originally posted by: SuperTool
sell the car

With such performance, who would want it? :(

thats why you put sawdust in the transmission, so no one notices the problems

KEV1N

Platinum Member
Jan 15, 2000
Try one of those fuel injector cleaners that you add to a tank of gas.

stso

Platinum Member
Nov 17, 2000
Originally posted by: KEV1N
Try one of those fuel injector cleaners that you add to a tank of gas.

I did it many times (tried every brand), doesn't work at all :(

stso

Platinum Member
Nov 17, 2000
Originally posted by: Dr Smooth
Plugged fuel injector nozzles? Try a couple of bottles of some type of fuel system cleaner.

Get your car a tune up.
My roommate told me the same thing, but what exactly does tune up do? And how much does it cost?

dman

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999

Get your car a tune up.
My roommate told me the same thing, but what exactly does tune up do? And how much does it cost?

Varies by car and # of cylinders, among other things it generally includes replacing the spark plugs (and sometimes) the wires. May include belt changes. Older cars may get a timing adjustment.

Check your tire pressure, if some are low it can kill fuel economy and make your car feel sluggish.

stso

Platinum Member
Nov 17, 2000
Originally posted by: Roger
Before you spend any money, have a shop check for trouble codes.

What's the trouble codes? and how do I do that? How much does it cost?

stso

Platinum Member
Nov 17, 2000
Originally posted by: dman

Get your car a tune up.

Varies by car and # of cylinders, among other things it generally includes replacing the spark plugs (and sometimes) the wires. May include belt changes. Older cars may get a timing adjustment.

Check your tire pressure, if some are low it can kill fuel economy and make your car feel sluggish.

Cool, I'll do it this weekend :)

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Originally posted by: dman

Get your car a tune up.

Cool, I'll do it this weekend :)

But not as drastically as he's described. Something is definitely up. Seems to me like a sensor failed. Maybe your O2 went out and the computer is running its "default" mixture setting that it uses b4 the motor warms up. That sounds fairly reasonable.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Originally posted by: SammySon
RTFM!!

There is a whole list of classic reasons for losing power.

Get a clue. The manual doesn't tell you how to fix your car, not even close:disgust:
rolleye.gif

EDIT: Isn't that car still under warranty?

Ford trouble codes OBD II

The codes (If any) will have to be pulled using a OBD II (Onboard Diagnostic, version two) with a scanner, if you do not have access to a scanner, the vehicle will have to be brought to either a Ford dealership or a competant shop, average cost is $50 to $75.

LAUST

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
It could easily just be the plugs (it's a major part of your tuneup), if you are not getting proper ignition..... well basically ignition is 1/3 of how the system works ;) (Air, Fuel, Spark)

If the O2's are bad on an OBD2 it'll give a SES light if it's not reading proper voltage.

LAUST

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
Originally posted by: Roger

Ford trouble codes OBD II

The codes (If any) will have to be pulled using a OBD II (Onboard Diagnostic, version two) with a scanner, if you do not have access to a scanner, the vehicle will have to be brought to either a Ford dealership or a competant shop, average cost is $50 to $75.
AutoZone does OBD/OBD2 scans for free now also.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Man strap on a tornado fuel saver. I did it myself and I get like 85 mpg now (city) and the car is soooo fast. I smoked a viper the other day. Well not smoked, but I did beat it and yes he was trying :D