My CA driver license expires this year. Will my renewal automatically qualify as a "Real ID"?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
So, I took the DMV phone rep's advice (2 days ago when I couldn't access my account because 2 step authentication was not working for me) and waited until today to retry. I try today and it works. I drill down in my application and it says I'm golden, all 3 uploads (identity and 2 residency documents) are pre-approved. I just have to bring the originals to my in person appointment. This although the email they sent me suggested there was an issue, one of the documents had to "change." :rolleyes: I'm provided a confirmation code I'm supposed to present at the appointment. However, the online application appears to be unaware that I already have an appointment (tomorrow morning), which was setup 2 days ago by a DMV phone rep. I presume I can present my confirmation code tomorrow (printed with a QR code also), hand them my original documents, take the driving test, have my picture taken, a thumb print and I'm getting my Real ID in the mail. I'm going to bring additional residence proof documents, also my passport in addition to the passport card. Just everything I can think of that might help. Last DL photo they took of me was of a very put out guy (me after the awful treatment I got in the office). Hope it's better this time, but WTH's the difference (other than I don't want to be put out!)? Anyway, I get the impression the DMV's functioning better than it was 2-3 years ago... except for the website. Navigating that to initiate your Real ID is like traversing unknown rapids in a kayak on a swollen river filled with boulders hiding below the surface.

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
I presume I can present my confirmation code tomorrow (printed with a QR code also), hand them my original documents, take the driving test, have my picture taken, a thumb print and I'm getting my Real ID in the mail.

Why would you have to take a driving test and why would they not be giving you the license right then and there? And a thumb print? Do CA licenses have your thumb print on them?

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Why would you have to take a driving test and why would they not be giving you the license right then and there? And a thumb print? Do CA licenses have your thumb print on them?
I think I saw mention of the thumb print in applying for a Real ID. Last time I renewed my CA DL I had to take and pass a driving law exam, taken at a terminal in their office. There's no thumb print on my CA DL, issued 5 year ago, shortly before the Real ID was implemented.

I imagine they will give me something to prove my DL is in order, but only a temporary document and that my Real ID will come in the mail.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Can't speak for CA but in Connecticut all that changes on the license itself is a bit more info encoded in the barcode on the back and a small gold star on the front upper-right corner.

I received my license w/real ID in less then 45 minutes. (and this was on a Saturday afternoon!)

Also: *(per PA DMV study)

"Currently, no states seem to require that a person's fingerprint actually be on his/her driver's license, but California, Colorado, Georgia, and Texas require it to be provided for the license application. California's law requires a legible thumb or fingerprint for original or renewal applications. The other three states' laws appear to apply the requirements to original license applications only."

Last edited:
Reactions: Muse

Stopsignhank

Platinum Member
Mar 1, 2014
You will be good. Just show up at the DMV with your documents and they will take care of everything. I checked in at the front, sat down for one minute and then they called me up. The guy behind the counter was nice and even smoothed out mistake that was in the system. Then I went to another window to get my picture taken, then back to the same window to get my temporary drivers license. I did not have to take a driving test, just renew my license.

Remember that the easy things get taken care of on line, EVERYONE in there has an issue that takes time, or they are weird. When I got there the check in desk had two people behind the counter helping people and one person in line. I could not hear what the one group was talking about, but the lady in front of me could not understand why the DMV would not take her expired passport as a form of ID. That was the only ID she had, she kept turning around with a look of disgust kind of saying "Can you believe these people." She finally left and the next person started talking to the clerk. After a minute the clerk finally said "What are you trying to do today?" Then it was something about registering a car that her daughter had gifted to her but had a lien on it......... Finally I was called. Told her what I was there for, gave her my papers and DL and 45 seconds later I was headed to take a seat. One minute later they called my number.

The people I saw working at the DMV were fine and helpful. It was the customers in there who were horrible and causing problems. I even told the guy who was helping me that he is not paid enough money. This was after the little old lady interrupted him a second time to say she could not get the computer screen to work for her test (They ended up giving her a paper test)

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
I think I saw mention of the thumb print in applying for a Real ID. Last time I renewed my CA DL I had to take and pass a driving law exam, taken at a terminal in their office. There's no thumb print on my CA DL, issued 5 year ago, shortly before the Real ID was implemented.

I imagine they will give me something to prove my DL is in order, but only a temporary document and that my Real ID will come in the mail.

Well, good for CA in requiring everyone to take at least a written test for renewals. I've had licenses in several states and none of them ever asked for a test after that first one as a teenager.

Reactions: Muse and Captante

Stopsignhank

Platinum Member
Mar 1, 2014
Well, good for CA in requiring everyone to take at least a written test for renewals. I've had licenses in several states and none of them ever asked for a test after that first one as a teenager.
I have never had to take a driving test or a written test and I have had a CA DL for 40 years.

• Wow

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I have never had to take a driving test or a written test and I have had a CA DL for 40 years.
I had to take a driving test IIRC when I got my CA DL license at 16YO. None since. Several written tests. I downloaded the CA Driver's Handbook today, it's a 116 page PDF. Figure to dive in later today. Online they offer IIRC 2 different virtual testing platforms, zero clue what they are about, how they differ, why there's more than one, just no info at all including why I was being given the option to choose one. I didn't check any of those including the 3rd checkbox to not use either, I just scratched my head and clicked Next. I figure tomorrow I'll have to walk up to a terminal and take a test like 5 years ago.

Last edited:

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Per Google/CA DMV:

To renew your license in person, simply visit any DMV office. No appointment is necessary, however making an online appointment probably saves you time. You will need to:

• Fill out a DL44 form or the renewal notice mailed to you by the DMV.
  • Pay a $25 fee
  • Have your picture taken
  • Give a thumb print
  • Take the vision exam
  • Pass a written examination. You only need to answer the first 18 questions on the test. In order to pass, you must get at least 15 answers correct. Your renewal notice will state if you need to take the written examination.
  • Check your address before you leave DMV and tell the DMV representative if your address is incorrect.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Per Google/CA DMV:

To renew your license in person, simply visit any DMV office. No appointment is necessary, however making an online appointment probably saves you time. You will need to:

• Pay a $25 fee
  • Give a thumb print
  • Take the vision exam
  • Pass a written examination. You only need to answer the first 18 questions on the test. In order to pass, you must get at least 15 answers correct. Your renewal notice will state if you need to take the written examination.
  • Check your address before you leave DMV and tell the DMV representative if your address is incorrect.
Yeah, I think I need to take the "written" test (although it's at a terminal, don't know why they call that "written"). I think I'll have to pay $37, since it's a Real ID. It looks like I will be able to use the Real ID as a driver's license and to fly.

Reactions: Captante

Stopsignhank

Platinum Member
Mar 1, 2014
I had to take a driving test IIRC when I got my CA DL license at 16YO. None since. Several written tests. I downloaded the CA Driver's Handbook today, it's a 116 page PDF. Figure to dive in later today. Online they offer IIRC 2 different virtual testing platforms, zero clue what they are about, how they differ, why there's more than one, just no info at all including why I was being given the option to choose one. I didn't check any of those including the 3rd checkbox to not use either, I just scratched my head and clicked Next. I figure tomorrow I'll have to walk up to a terminal and take a test like 5 years ago.
Yeah, I had to take the driving and written test when I was 16, but I do not think I have had to retake a test since then. Had to go to driving school a couple time for tickets. It stated on my renewal form that I did not have to take any test, just fail a vision test (I wear glasses), give them a thumbprint and pay the renewal fee.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I just took all 5 sample driver knowledge tests, only aced the last, 10/10. The others, a couple 7/10, the other 2 were 8/10. Not great. You're allowed 3 wrongs and the actual test IIRC is 15 questions.

Then I read the entire 116 page driver's handbook. Amazing actually how complex driving is. Also, there's new stuff, things have changed a lot since I started driving. Also, I don't drive a lot, my 97 car has 34k on it. Anyway, I guess I'm pretty ready for the test ...

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Per Google/CA DMV:

• Pay a $25 fee
  • Give a thumb print
  • Take the vision exam
I've had a CA DL for nearly 30 years, and have yet to be re-tested (except for vision). OP probably studied for nothing, unless his renewal notice explicitly said he has to take the written exam. Sounds pretty "unlucky" if it's the second time in five years he's been required to do so.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
TGIF? Not so much...

Friday was a nightmare what with the insanity of the CA DMV website, but today (Monday) was a dream. I was there ~25 minutes before my appt, was out the door ~19 minutes after the appt time, complete including passing the computer CA driving laws test on the first try (you get 3 tries, it's 25 questions and you are allowed 5 mistakes. There's no way to tell how many mistakes you make or what the errors were. Which surprised me because I could swear the initial onscreen instructions (which I kind of skimmed) seemed to say I would see immediately what questions I got wrong. No way I got them all right!

Anyway, I have my temporary paper license and should get my Real ID (presumably doubling as a DL) in a few weeks.

Can hardly believe it. When I renewed 5 years ago it was a very frustrating and long experience. Guy I talked to in line said a few weeks ago it wasn't near as swift as it was today.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I've had a CA DL for nearly 30 years, and have yet to be re-tested (except for vision). OP probably studied for nothing, unless his renewal notice explicitly said he has to take the written exam. Sounds pretty "unlucky" if it's the second time in five years he's been required to do so.
Luck? Dunno, anyway they made me take the test again, similar to 5 years ago. I am real glad I studied the entire 116 page PDF of the handbook last night. I sure wouldn't have done as well on the test as I did if I hadn't. I was worried I was over the 5 mistake limit but I passed on the first of the 3 allotted tests (if you don't, you have to reapply from scratch). Have no idea how many mistakes I made or on what questions. The questions were NOT particularly easy, they would tougher than I figured they would be.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I have my temporary paper license and should get my Real ID

3912ab15f21e97bd309b1a01dcae2fe1.jpg

;)

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I don't know how to feel. It was a challenge what with my fucked up hand. I had to do contrast baths twice this morning before going to the DMV, and right after getting home, another set. I'm afraid I'm going to need surgery. My hand surgeon didn't think it likely, but I'm wondering the way the finger is progressing (you call this progress???).

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Hands can take a LONG time to heal since it's extremely difficult to not constantly move them around and aggravate any damage, plus they're very complex with multiple large nerve-clusters.

Next to a helmet the most important protective gear for any "high speed on asphalt" activity like skating/skate-boarding isn't elbow or knee-pads, it's protective gloves with thick Teflon "skids" in the palm/wrist/forearm area.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Hands can take a LONG time to heal since it's extremely difficult to not constantly move them around and aggravate any damage, plus they're very complex with multiple large nerve-clusters.

Next to a helmet the most important protective gear for any "high speed on asphalt" activity like skating/skate-boarding isn't elbow or knee-pads, it's protective gloves with thick Teflon "skids" in the palm/wrist/forearm area.
@Captante - Never heard of gloves like that! Gotta look that up. I did some look-ups a few weeks ago for protective gloves for skaters but everything I saw had naked fingers and I figured that wasn't going to provide the protection I need, at least not right now as my pinky is hell of sore.

When I had my accident 2 months ago I was wearing my favorite every day all purpose gloves, simple cheap and pretty darn durable Harbor Freight acquired Hardy gloves $5/ pair. I have maybe 15 pair of those, they never seem to wear out and I can throw them in the washer. Probably not the best protection.

About 3 weeks ago I created a special device (using my imagination, from things lying around the house: PVC, pipe insulation, leather and nylon cord, as a finishing touch I glued some 220 wet-dry sandpaper to the PVC to keep it from slipping in my hand) to protect my right hand when skating while it's healing. Been using it every time I skate for the last 2+ weeks:

Hand protector 1.jpgHand protector 2.JpgHand protector 3.jpg
@

Last edited: