My BF3 benchmarks on the Dell U2713HM **Update 1/12/13 - new benchmarks and pics**

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

lavaheadache

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2005
The AG coating is much less noticeable than on the 3007WFP. It's there, but nowhere near as harsh as it was on the 3007. Colours also seem much better out of the box. As soon as I fired it up I notice a difference. Been playing with the different modes, I find Standard and RGB to be the best.

I guess I am going to RMA it in that case with the overnight deal. Are they going to want a picture or anything, or just go on good faith that the bright pixel is there ? Reason I am on the fence is that I may just get another one with a bad pixel, or maybe more than one. haha not sure I want to wind up in an endless cycle of returns.

Do they give a BNIB in return or a refurb ? That is my other concern. The one I was sent is a REV08 made in November of last year. If I return this I want a 100% new one again.

No pic, nothing. I just requested a new one and had it the next day. It was a bnib, no refurb.

lavaheadache

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2005
UPS dropped of the monitor at my office, can't wait to take this badboy home! I'll keep you guys posted, and I plan on running additional BF3 benchmarks. I will update OP once I have those stats.

edit: Kudos to Dell for the fast delivery! ordered last Thursday with free "7 day shipping"

oa413q.jpg

I really am considering replacing my U3011 with that 2713

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
The 2713HM is a pretty awesome screen. Still, i'm most anxious for the u3014. It should be released in Feb or March.

dmoney1980

Platinum Member
Jan 17, 2008
so I unwrapped that bad boy, plugged it in and.....3 dead pixels.....lumped together in the middle right hand side. UGH!I'm speaking with Dell support now, they are shipping me a new monitor along with a return label for this one

Last edited:

tweakboy

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2010
www.hammiestudios.com
With vsync off theres gonna be screen tearing. horrible...........

vsync on , oh but your montor is led so thats 5ms to 12ms ,,,,, FPS games there will be mouse lag........ gl

Skurge

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2009
so I unwrapped that bad boy, plugged it in and.....3 dead pixels.....lumped together in the middle right hand side. UGH!I'm speaking with Dell support now, they are shipping me a new monitor along with a return label for this one

What do you guys use to check for dead pixels? I haven't seen any, but I'll like to check just to make sure.

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
Did you get the replacement 2713HM yet? Was the 2nd one the charm? I was really impressed by the image quality of this monitor, text is extremely sharp and colors are great. Like you said the AG is nearly completely unnoticeable, unlike the prior model u2711 and u3011.

dmoney1980

Platinum Member
Jan 17, 2008
Did you get the replacement 2713HM yet? Was the 2nd one the charm? I was really impressed by the image quality of this monitor, text is extremely sharp and colors are great. Like you said the AG is nearly completely unnoticeable, unlike the prior model u2711 and u3011.

Not yet, I should have it next week. I think it's great that dell shipped a replacement with the return label for the defective monitor. I'm still using it since it works great other than the 3 dead pixels, which I only notice on all white backgrounds.

lavaheadache

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2005
Not yet, I should have it next week. I think it's great that dell shipped a replacement with the return label for the defective monitor. I'm still using it since it works great other than the 3 dead pixels, which I only notice on all white backgrounds.

Are they dead or stuck on?

dmoney1980

Platinum Member
Jan 17, 2008
Are they dead or stuck on?

I would assume dead. I ran some utilities for fixing stuck pixels but that didn't work. At first it looked like dirt under the panel, 3 little grey/black spots. Do you know of any other utilities out there?

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
Those are dead pixels and can't be fixed. Bright pixels are the ones you can possibly fix. Bright pixels show up as a steady colour that doesn't change.

I got my replacement U3011 yesterday and this one is flawless. It also has a more uniform backlight whereas the last one had a couple brighter spots. :thumbsup:

lavaheadache

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2005
nice Groove...

Glad to hear you got a keeper.

Dell's monitor policy is the best in the business and why I am/will continue to be a loyal customer

dagamer34

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2005
I got a U2713HM for $559 + tax off of Amazon a few weeks ago. This thing is glorious. However, after using my Retina display MacBook Pro, I now am wishing for a 27" 4K monitor. That would be amazing. Maybe this year?

Diogenes2

Platinum Member
Jul 26, 2001
I saw the thread title and was curious about benchmarking a display ..

I still don't understand..

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
I got a U2713HM for $559 + tax off of Amazon a few weeks ago. This thing is glorious. However, after using my Retina display MacBook Pro, I now am wishing for a 27" 4K monitor. That would be amazing. Maybe this year?

Not gonna happen for atleast quite some years.

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
Not gonna happen for atleast quite some years.

Agreed. I'm a big fan of high resolution and want it to happen, but the initial models will cost over 5000$ US and many models will be capped at 30hz at native resolution. On top of this, the models out now actually cost over 17,000$ US -- Obviously that isn't ready for a mass consumer market; The only buyers currently are for scientific / medical / corporate applications.

My best guess is that it will be more widely adopted when there is:

1) 4k media for the Ultra HD TV

and

2) More graphics processing power to actually harness 4k resolution

Maybe 1-2 years? I do hope i'm wrong though, i'd love to get my hands of a 4k screen. Big fan of high res here, as mentioned - the sooner the world is rid of TN 1080p panels, the better.

Last edited:

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com
update 1/12/13:So I took some time tonight to record additional benchmarks using my new Dell U2713HM monitor (formerly 27" Auria that I returned to Micro Center). Just like before, these benchmarks were done on 64 player maps with a 5 minute recording using FRAPS. Please take note of the universal and conditional settings used for all benchmarks.

Before we get into the numbers, here's a pic I took tonight of my new monitor standing next to my old 23" Sammy. The image quality on this Dell is insane! I cannot believe how much better it looks when compared to the Auria and my old monitor. I also must add that Dell did a heck of a job with the AG coating, I don't even know it's there!

jbsNP8PsgaBfP6.JPG

My test system:
CPU: i5 2500k at 4.3ghz
ASrock z68 pro3m motherboard
8Gb Crucial DDR3 1600 RAM
128GB Crucial m4 OS drive
256GB Liteon OEM SSD Game drive (location of BF3 install)
Corsair 650W PSU
Sapphire Radeon 7950 3GB OC'd @ 950/1300

Universal Settings Used:
Resolution: 2560x1440 @ 60hz
V-Sync: Off
Field of view: 90
Motion blur: Off
Graphics quality: Custom
Texture quality: Ultra
Shadow quality: Ultra
Effects quality: Ultra
Mesh quality: Ultra
Terrain quality: Ultra
Terrain decoration: Ultra
Anisotropic filter: 16x
Ambient Occlusion: HBAO

Conditional Settings Used
Post and Deferred Anitaliasing Off or On, please reference charts.

And here are my results:

jMU9mHXiIZUDA.jpg

Azadi Palace was crazy with 64 players! Enabling AA didn't impact playability in my opinion, and I didn't experience any significant frame rate drop.

jORxkEirNSVbA.jpg

I spent the majority of the time in this stage inside a vehicle, figuring that's what the majority of players will do anyways. I did notice some FPS dips here and there when inside a tank, other than that it was ok.

jmtJ7UcvBSkqy.jpg

Caspian Border is an oldie but goodie! I mixed it up here: on foot, in a tank / jeep, and sniping. As you can see AA definitely takes it's toll on the framerate at times.

j4hvDImQI5smX.jpg

Operation Firestorm is one of my favorite stages in BF3 since it offers everything; space to fly, spaces to snipe, and plenty of space to get sniped! Seeing same results as Caspian here.

jG7qTFQTaKabv.jpg

Karkand shows more of the same, Framerate dips into the 30's with AA enabled.

That's all I have right now. I would have loved to benchmark a 64 player close quarters map but I couldn't find one tonight! I'll update this post once I do.

I also took some in game screenshots for some of the maps using the conditional settings. This will give you an idea of the differences in image quality. That said, I honestly can't recommend having AA enabled in this game at this resolution. Sure the edges look smoother when looking at the screenshots, but who plays this game standing in place looking at edges!? When playing, I'm too busy running around like a headless chicken to notice the imperfections, and I'll gladly take the smoother framerate any day of the week.

BF3 Game Pic links
Azadi Palace
No AA: http://i1.minus.com/iefUirfmaKJOl.bmp
AA Enabled: http://i2.minus.com/ilSctZ2nGrjLr.bmp

Caspian Border
No AA: http://i3.minus.com/iet5jaDtNWJOI.bmp
AA Enabled: http://i5.minus.com/iY47EVNzRqqZC.bmp

If you guys have any questions, please let me know!

Thanks for putting this thread together. Question for you - are those "No AA" screenshots without any AA at all, or just without MSAA? While I agree that in multiplayer you won't notice it that much while playing, I think there's a pretty huge image quality difference between your screenshots. I use High FXAA and think it looks pretty good, but I've never done back-to-back screenshot comparisons like yours.

Last edited:

dmoney1980

Platinum Member
Jan 17, 2008
Thanks for putting this thread together. Question for you - are those "No AA" screenshots without any AA at all, or just without MSAA? While I agree that in multiplayer you won't notice it that much while playing, I think there's a pretty huge image quality difference between your screenshots. I use High FXAA and think it looks pretty good, but I've never done back-to-back screenshot comparisons like yours.

the "No AA" benchmarks and screenshots have both post and deferred AA disabled, so no AA at all.