My bank doesn't send me a credit card statement if there's a $0 min payment due...?

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
I have a credit card I recently opened with my credit union as part of a credit building process, so I monitor it like a hawk. But like the title says, I just realized that they don't seem to send a statement if there's a $0 minimum payment due.

Just to clarify... YES, I have a BALANCE on the card from this past month that has been on since just after the last statement/payment due. This month's payment was due yesterday... 8/25, minimum payment was $0, but there is an account balance. And I have not received a statement for this month.

I find this odd... I received a statement last month, but not the month before either.

mb

Lifer
Jun 27, 2004
Do they at least have a statement available online?

I have a Capital One card I haven't used in years and I still get monthly statements in the mail.

M0oG0oGaiPan

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2000
digitalgamedeals.com
Doesn't make any sense especially if you have an account balance. You could try accessing their online site and see if they have some .pdfs of your previous statements. The missing months might be in there.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Slick. Earn more interest because you do not get a statement and may not know what, if any balance is on the card.

edit: Which company?

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
My USAA card has retained a $0 due monthly since card inception. And I have a balance (I hate school, but low interest rate made it better than most loans! Same with my capital one card, they were all better routes than loans). Also, no job sucks, one of these recent places better hire my ass; I don't wanna cash all my investments, though they are minimal at this point in time.

I decline paper statements. Online statements for my USAA card have always shown $0.00 due - and it always confuses the hell out of me, though it helps because if I forgot to pay it before the due date, I would never get penalized. :) I love this company.

Though what may help in my case, the majority of my balance is when the card had the introductory 0% APR; and whatever balance was taken with the intro rate, it would remain interest-free until the balance was paid. USAA still gets its reward, as payments are put toward the lowest interest-rate balance first, so new charges stack up and have the regular APR applied the whole time, and thus are untouched with payments until the 0% balance is paid. I've applied barely anything to the card since the rate increase, so it has been chump change each month.

Last edited:

Gillbot

Lifer
Jan 11, 2001
Slick. Earn more interest because you do not get a statement and may not know what, if any balance is on the card.

edit: Which company?

probably this

but I was always told that you know you have a balance and it's not their responsibility to get you a statement. You need to pay regardless of a statement or not.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
probably this

but I was always told that you know you have a balance and it's not their responsibility to get you a statement. You need to pay regardless of a statement or not.
But how can you pay without a pay slip in the statement?

Gillbot

Lifer
Jan 11, 2001
You don't need a slip to make a payment, CALL them. All you need is account number and they'll post it.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Why not? Gotta score that cashback, extended warranty protection, ability to make a dispute if necessary, etc :)

You could use a debit card with rewards.

I wouldn't bother with those extras, though. I keep a credit card around just for small emergencies and for my credit rating. I rarely use it. Just once in a while to keep it current.

If I can afford to pay off everything I charge each month, then I might as well just go to the store and pay cash or write a check or use my ATM card.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005

I wouldn't bother with those extras, though. I keep a credit card around just for small emergencies and for my credit rating. I rarely use it. Just once in a while to keep it current.

If I can afford to pay off everything I charge each month, then I might as well just go to the store and pay cash or write a check or use my ATM card.

Credit cards get better rewards than debit cards.

If you can pay off the balance every month, might as well use a credit card like a debit card, aka like cash. You build up rewards, aren't charged anything, and get a little something for doing what you were going to do anyway. The big challenge is keeping that up and not falling behind and carrying a balance. But if you can do it, it can really add up in your favor over a little time.

akshatp

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999

LOL what a dumbass.