My apt is being tented for termite fumigation. Need some advice.

zmatrix

Mar 1, 2001
Hi guys, my apt is being fumigated and I am concerned as I am not sure what the procedure is. My landlord told me to take everything that is perishable and not to leave it in the house.

Secondly I am concerned that people will be able to enter my place and go through my things like my records, my pc...etc. Prob is that I have too much stuff and can't possibly protect everything theft-wise. Perhaps I am being paranoid. What have you done to theft-proof your pad or if it's even necessary.

Do I need to take my clothes too or will the fumigation not affect things like that.

What I can I expect? Do I need to "disinfect" the place once I get back?

LordMorpheus

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2002
haha! remember Dirty Work, when they tented the apartment and then destroyed it?

What a funny movie.

Um: advice. Learn what the active chemical the fumigators are using, then go find out what things of yours that that chemical will damage, and move them to a U-Stor-It.

NokiaDude

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2002
Take all valuables that can not be replaced. Insurance should cover things that are stolen by the scumbags. I've had my house fogged twice and nothing has been stolen.

amdskip

Lifer
Jan 6, 2001
Just unhook the power inside your computer and lock everything up that you can. Take pictures if you really want to be paranoid for proof.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Originally posted by: LordMorpheus
haha! remember Dirty Work, when they tented the apartment and then destroyed it?

What a funny movie.

Um: advice. Learn what the active chemical the fumigators are using, then go find out what things of yours that that chemical will damage, and move them to a U-Stor-It.

Dirty Work kicks @ss!!! Too bad it bombed. Artie and Norm just crack me up:D

Yossarian

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
when my place was tented they provided thick plastic bags to store food in, if you double bag stuff you'll be ok. I was paranoid though, they had a guy come at night and check the chemical content of the air, he said it was safe but I didn't really trust him. So I left all the windows open with fans circulating even though it was the middle of winter.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Originally posted by: PipBoy
when my place was tented they provided thick plastic bags to store food in, if you double bag stuff you'll be ok. I was paranoid though, they had a guy come at night and check the chemical content of the air, he said it was safe but I didn't really trust him. So I left all the windows open with fans circulating even though it was the middle of winter.

Yeah, our house smelled funny so we aired it out for a day or two before moving back in.

vegetation

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2001
Most likely they use Vikane as the fumigating agent. It's a true gas, so it's not like using a can of bug spray and getting residue left over, there's no trace of it whatsoever.