my 700 is more stable at 933 than at 700. What gives?!

thxturtle

Mar 27, 2000
I have a p3 700. I was running it a default voltage and speed because I'm waiting on my peltier/alpha to arrive. Well I decided to give o/c a shot and tried to get it to 933. I finally got it stable at 933/1.85v. Not stellar but decent. Hoping to push the voltage down to 1.8 or 1.75 when the alpha and peltier get here. Temps right now max at 46c at full load.

See this was just a test to see how the chip would perform. So then I clocked it back down to normal, undid the bios settings I changed (pci divider, voltage, fsb, etc) and rebooted. This thing is SO UNSTABLE now. Kept crashing like every 5 minutes. I finally wanted to see if I hosed this thing somehow and bumped it back to 933. VERY STABLE (I haven't run my complete stability test on it but it's been going for a couple of days with my daily use). Back at DEFAULT 700 *UNSTABLE* ... back 933 stable. What's going on?

subhuman

Aug 24, 2000
Voltage? CPU thermal compound issues (stock hs/fan i suppose).

Check out mine.. only a gorb and cheap paste ($1.50)

thxturtle

Mar 27, 2000
When I first got the chip, I put it in my board stock hs/fan 1.65V 100fsb. Worked fine for the 3 weeks I left it at that.

I put on an extra gorb that I had for my c2 566 that I'm not using w/ silver thermal grease on my 700 and o/c'd it to 933 at 1.85 V. No problems.

Now when I try to put it back to 700 at 1.65 V I get all sorts of problems.

Adding .5V to the 1.65 might solve it but I want to know why it can't run at that speed any more while I can still run at 933 1.85V fine. It's wierd and it's bugging me why this is.

Any ideas?

overdoze

Aug 16, 2000
I would try reinstall clean everything at stock speed and see how stable it is. Of course I will back up the original disk. If you have 2 hardrive it would help. That way you could switch disk at 2 speed stock (new installed disk) and oc (original disk)

thxturtle

Mar 27, 2000
Well as it turns out I was only adjusting the voltage in my bios. When I set the voltage on my slocket to 1.65 all is well ... kinda. Still get some explorer crashes but nothing close to what I was recieving before when the slocket voltage was set to 1.85 and I used the bios to move it to 1.65. I'm pretty sure my windows installation is a little screwy because of all the crap that I do to it. A clean install will probably get rid of the explorer crashes.