My 70+ year old grandpa crashed his motorcycle this evening

dugweb

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2002
a few years ago my dad really got into motorcycles (Harley's to be specific) and he and my mother have been on some beautiful rides across the country in that time. Buying this bike is very out of my dad's character I might add. I think it's his mid-life crisis rebound.

Well, because of this, my dad has all the sudden become my grandpa's hero, and my grandpa wanted to be 'hardcore' like my dad as well. SOOO, long story short... He buys a $30,000 dollar bike (Harley Ultra Classic) which is WAY too much of a bike for him (he's about 5'6", my dad has the same bike but we are both much taller than my grandpa)

I've gone a several rides with my parental units, and my grandpa isn't a terrible driver, but he isn't good. Tonight, i wasn't there, but he lost control and crashed.

It scared this piss out of me. I've biked for about 2 years, but I'm really starting to wonder if I should get out now :( My grandpa should be okay, he may need to be operated on, because he may have internal bleeding apperently.

frikken sucks... oh, btw, tomorrow I leave for Europe for a month long backpacking trip :/ I was way excited, but now I feel like a douche ditching out right now (even though the plans have been final for a few weeks)

that's my little after midnight story.

ta8689

Golden Member
Feb 5, 2006
I hope your grandpa is ok. And I also hope nobody starts posting how it was his fault etc etc etc.

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
parental units?

Anyways I hope he recovers just fine.

ROTC1983

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2002
I hope your grandfather recovers :( My grandpa goes riding with my father all the time too. I pray for a speedy recovery.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
I hope your grandpa gets well soon. He fared much better than a 58 year old lady on Stevens Pass a couple of days ago. She ran off the road while riding her new harley alongside her husband, and died:(

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
At 5'6" Your Grandfather would have been better off with a Sportster than an Ultra Classic. I guess it's another case of the little guy syndrome.

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
I hope he heals up fine and hopefully he'll realize that with age comes limits.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: lokiju

I think it this case it's his granfathers stature that has the limits.

BTW, hope he has a speedy recovery, doesn't give up his passion and get's a smaller bike more suited for him.

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
Originally posted by: lokiju

I think it this case it's his granfathers stature that has the limits.

BTW, hope he has a speedy recovery, doesn't give up his passion and get's a smaller bike more suited for him.

May very well be the case, some 70 y/o's aren't as well off as others so I guess it depends on the person.

For instance my Grandpa is 72 now and there is no way he'd be healthy enough to ride a bike no matter how well sized for him it was, he's just to weakened after so many heart surgeries.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
At 5'6" Your Grandfather would have been better off with a Sportster than an Ultra Classic. I guess it's another case of the little guy syndrome.

Yea about to say the same.

To many people get larger harley as they think it is ok as its not all OHC and water cooled so its not a crotch rocket. But the low end power will make something minor turn into what maybe happened to the OPs GF here.

Hope he either does not ride anymore or gets a smaller (weaker) bike.

dugweb

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2002
I agree completely, the bike was much too big for him, and we were all asking him to get a smaller bike (I personally love the deluxe)

He's doing okay btw, he didnt end up needing surgery so he's just gonna be real sore and have to heal up.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: dugweb
I agree completely, the bike was much too big for him, and we were all asking him to get a smaller bike (I personally love the deluxe)

He's doing okay btw, he didnt end up needing surgery so he's just gonna be real sore and have to heal up.
How banged up was the Bike?

dugweb

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2002
Originally posted by: dugweb

How banged up was the Bike?

I haven't seen it personally, but the word is that everything cosmetic is ruined (the saddle bags, fenders, wheels, lights etc.) However they aren't sure how the engine and other things held up. Not sure if it's totalled or not, but my dad said he wouldn't be surprised if it was totalled.