My 6800 GS is acting up YET AGAIN.

Therk

Jul 15, 2005
Ok so I just finished playing HL2: Lost Coast and everything was finey and dandy when my monitor suddenly turned really dark. I checked the brightness option on my PC and it was on 0. I then turned on rivatuner and noticed that the core value was only 350, not the 425 it normally was. I then tried to run 3dmark05 but there wasnt much of a difference (scored 4950)

Can someone explain to me what happened?

Therk

Jul 15, 2005
And is the monitor supposed to go black for a second and then come back again every time I click on the nvidia icon in the bottom right corner?

Therk

Jul 15, 2005
I just played a game of cs for 5 minutes, quit and had a look at rivatuner and saw that the clock speed changed itself to 425 as soon as I entered the game and it changed itself back to 350 when I quit it? WTH? Is this normal?!?! Its really odd.

Therk

Jul 15, 2005
Some games also seem to look blurry, like the image is out of focus and this is only in some games and some parts of them. This happens in NFS:MW and The Far Cry ATI demo, its really odd aswell.

Jun 14, 2003
Originally posted by: Therk
Some games also seem to look blurry, like the image is out of focus and this is only in some games and some parts of them. This happens in NFS:MW and The Far Cry ATI demo, its really odd aswell.

how olds your monitor? i have a really old CRT sitting at home, its usless coz its too blurry. i think this happens over time to crt's so it may not be your card.

what number are you overclocking?

6800GS possibly has 2 speeds a 2D speed and a 3D speed (my 6800gt had this but both were 350/1000)

so if your overclocking the 2d speed....and not the 3d speed, when you launch a 3d app it will switch to the 3d speed which is lower.

but then again all 6800gs's should be 425Mhz stock

might be possible that these 2 got mixed up by the drivers some how?

have you tired using coolbits? this will show you what your 2d and 3d speeds are. if theyre wrong you can set them to the RIGHT values, and click "APPLY ON START UP" so that theyre always like this.

Therk

Jul 15, 2005
By blurry I ment like, the card looks like its trying to make further objects blur since they are further but it looks like its making errors and blurring objects that are closer.

Im not overclocking any parts.

Therk

Jul 15, 2005
It looks like the NFS:MW bluriness is just an illusion caused by Bloom/HDR. Could anyone explain the 0 brightness problem though?

Nextman916

Golden Member
Aug 2, 2005
Im pretty sure there is nothing wrong with your card therk. The reason probably for the underclock is like otis said, the fact that your card underclocks itself 2d mode to save power and because 425mhz is uneeded, but in 3d apps it boots itself right back up. Blurring also isnt because of your card, NFS:MW is because of the bloom effect and the added sense of speed and in the ATI far cry demo (the project) the demo was made for the x1800xt as a tech demo. Thats why tells you when you download it, even though its based off the cryengine and technically should work on your card. It also blurrs with my 6800ultra and the water isnt detailed. The demo really taxes your card like 3dmark05 does the second time around in canyon flight, which also has blurring.

mwmorph

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2004
Originally posted by: Nextman916
Im pretty sure there is nothing wrong with your card therk. The reason probably for the underclock is like otis said, the fact that your card underclocks itself 2d mode to save power and because 425mhz is uneeded, but in 3d apps it boots itself right back up. Blurring also isnt because of your card, NFS:MW is because of the bloom effect and the added sense of speed and in the ATI far cry demo (the project) the demo was made for the x1800xt as a tech demo. Thats why tells you when you download it, even though its based off the cryengine and technically should work on your card. It also blurrs with my 6800ultra and the water isnt detailed. The demo really taxes your card like 3dmark05 does the second time around in canyon flight, which also has blurring.

he's right. nvidia cards will lower clocks in 2d mode. hdr causes a blo0om which sorta can create this blur.

Nextman916

Golden Member
Aug 2, 2005
Originally posted by: Nextman916
Im pretty sure there is nothing wrong with your card therk. The reason probably for the underclock is like otis said, the fact that your card underclocks itself 2d mode to save power and because 425mhz is uneeded, but in 3d apps it boots itself right back up. Blurring also isnt because of your card, NFS:MW is because of the bloom effect and the added sense of speed and in the ATI far cry demo (the project) the demo was made for the x1800xt as a tech demo. Thats why tells you when you download it, even though its based off the cryengine and technically should work on your card. It also blurrs with my 6800ultra and the water isnt detailed. The demo really taxes your card like 3dmark05 does the second time around in canyon flight, which also causes blurring.

lol sry tried to edit my original post!!!

Sc4freak

Oct 22, 2004
IRT ATI's The Project Demo, there are problems with Nvidia's hardware when it tries to run it, IIRC. These problems include errors in DOF rendering, where the card blurs the wrong place.

Gerbil333

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2002
Originally posted by: Therk
thanks guys, but can anyone explain the sudden brightness loss?

On some games, I believe HL2 included, I've seen the display darken suddenly after exiting a game. This is because the game set the gamma higher. The Windows desktop appears briefly as the game is still being closed, so when the gamma is returned to its original lower state, the desktop gets dimmer.

Perfectly normal.

Therk

Jul 15, 2005
I see, so this is just an error that may be fixed in further drivers?

Edit - Also I'm just wondering, but what is the difference between normal x2 AA and x2Q AA?
Oh and x8 AA looks absolutely amazing and runs very well. Played HL2 on it, 1024x768 everything maxed, x8AA, x16 AF, looked beatiful and played at an average of about 80 fps.