My 2.5" PATA hard drive won't work in an external enclosure

mercanucaribe

Banned
Oct 20, 2004
I've tried two enclosures, and it worked in neither, but was fine in the laptop I pulled it from. The device shows up in control panel, and a drive appears in explorer, but its size is 0. It shows up in Disk Management as a removable disk but says "No Media".

xtremeskier97

Nov 14, 2006
Have you tried partitioning and formatting it before putting it in the enclosure?

Also, what format are you using? Dont some enclosures only allow certain formats?

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Try connecting a power source - i.e., look for a small hole in the external case where you can connect a second USB cable as a power adapter. I use 2.5 externals all the time, and in most cases, they require external power to be "seen."

Jiggz

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2001
Originally posted by: corkyg
Try connecting a power source - i.e., look for a small hole in the external case where you can connect a second USB cable as a power adapter. I use 2.5 externals all the time, and in most cases, they require external power to be "seen."

:thumbsup:

mercanucaribe

Banned
Oct 20, 2004
Both enclosures I've tried have two USB plugs, so I don't think power is the problem. I've tried both a desktop and a laptop, so it's not that only one port gets enough juice. The drive is formatted with NTFS.

corkyg

Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Originally posted by: mercanucaribe Both enclosures I've tried have two USB plugs, so I don't think power is the problem. I've tried both a desktop and a laptop, so it's not that only one port gets enough juice. The drive is formatted with NTFS.

Not talking about the USB connectors - I'm referring to the small hole where a pin power connector goes. Here are 3 different 2.5" cases - USB and FW combos - note the small holes where you insert a pin connector that comes from a 5 vdc source. The other end can be a PS2, USB, or "briquette."

2.5 power

corkyg

Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Right - then get one that does. Never buy an external case without a power port. The "no media" message is telling you that the drive is not spinning up - that is due to insufficient power.

Have you tried using a powered hub?

mercanucaribe

Banned
Oct 20, 2004
The drive spins up and keeps spinning, so if that is an indicator that it's getting enough power, then I guess that's not the problem.

I have a powered hub, but I don't have a 5V AC adapter with that plug :p.

corkyg

Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Originally posted by: mercanucaribeI have a powered hub, but I don't have a 5V AC adapter with that plug :p.

In that case, it really isn't powered. Darn - I have a couple of extra ones. What brand of hub?

mercanucaribe

Banned
Oct 20, 2004
Thanks for the offer, but I don't think that's it. I assume two USB ports on the PC should be able to supply the power. Still, I can jury rig a connection, if I can find the right connector. The hub is a Belkin and the port looks about the size of the adapter Nokia phones use. Hmmmmm