my 2.4c survived bending 40 pins after watercooling messup!

RIGorous1

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2002
I've had a watercooling setup for about 4 months now on my 2.4c and I think its time to change out the liquid...

With a bay-res and a funnel it was easy to fill it up, however how do I empty it? I guess I could turn my computer upside-down and empty it, but that seems dangerous... especially since the cpu block is heavy and the cpu core is fragile.

any tips, tricks, or guides would be appreciated.

Rig

Update: I bent 40 pins in my cpu when I pulled off the block and too much force was applied. read the 3rd post below for details...

VisableAssassin

Nov 12, 2001
I do one of two things.........
1. if I'm lazy I'll pull a hose off of my heatercore with a cup under the barb and point the hose into the cup as it comes off......works well...but can be dangerous if your reflexes suck.

and

2. I pull the waterblock off of the CPU and pull a hose off of that and drain it into a cup outside the case.

bjc112

Lifer
Dec 23, 2000
Originally posted by: VisableAssassin
1. if I'm lazy I'll pull a hose off of my heatercore with a cup under the barb and point the hose into the cup as it comes off......works well...but can be dangerous if your reflexes suck.

and

2. I pull the waterblock off of the CPU and pull a hose off of that and drain it into a cup outside the case.

Go for the second method.

Not worth losing all your hardware for a few extra minutes.

RIGorous1

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2002
Originally posted by: bjc112
Originally posted by: VisableAssassin

and

Go for the second method.

Not worth losing all your hardware for a few extra minutes.

Holy crap I bent 40 pins on my p4 2.4c!!! I mean they were really bent out of shape, all pointing in different directions. This all happened when I removed my mc-462uh swiftech block (which weighs a ton) and while backing off the screws the block shifted pulling the cpu off of the mobo socket. The cpu latch was still down and the cpu was themally adherng to the block (due to artic silver). I spent the last 3 hours straightening them and miraculously I didn't break any and now my comp works! Plus the water is changed. Wow I'm a lucky guy!