MX500 1TB $89.99 (4-27 only), $184.99 2TB - Best Buy [Dead]

B-Riz

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2011
According to SD it looks like both models are also available at Amazon and the 2TB is also available for the same price at Newegg.

Nice, Crucial must be getting ready to drop the new stuff with the 176 layer NAND.

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
Yep, I grabbed the 1TB model a week or two ago for 89, and an aluminum Sabrent usb-c enclosure to throw it in. Good SATA type solid states for the price.

B-Riz

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2011
Yep, I grabbed the 1TB model a week or two ago for 89, and an aluminum Sabrent usb-c enclosure to throw it in. Good SATA type solid states for the price.

Heck yeah, I have been using the 1TB in Xbox One X upgrades as they always seem to go on sale at the right time :tearsofjoy:

And that is a killer deal for a 2TB best in class SATA SSD.

I would say the below are very conservative as this is the same stuff Crucial uses in their enterprise offerings.

Endurance:

250GB drive: 100TB Total Bytes
Written (TBW), equal to 54GB
per day for 5 years

500GB drive: 180TB Total Bytes
Written (TBW), equal to 98GB
per day for 5 years

1TB drive: 360TB Total Bytes
Written (TBW), equal to 197GB
per day for 5 years

2TB drive: 700TB Total Bytes
Written (TBW), equal to 383GB
per day for 5 years

Reactions: Pohemi

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
2TB drive: 700TB Total Bytes
Written (TBW), equal to 383GB
per day for 5 years
That sounds pretty good to me.

In for one 2TB Crucial MX500 2.5" SATA SSD @ Amazon. My first 2TB SSD! Under $200 is the price range that I want to be in, and now, Crucial drives are price-competitive (during this fire-sale of the current models) with the budget brands like Team and Mushkin.

B-Riz

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2011
That sounds pretty good to me.

In for one 2TB Crucial MX500 2.5" SATA SSD @ Amazon. My first 2TB SSD! Under $200 is the price range that I want to be in, and now, Crucial drives are price-competitive (during this fire-sale of the current models) with the budget brands like Team and Mushkin.

Nice!

So the funny thing about the MX500, is that the only "better" drive is the Samsung 870 EVO in terms of TBW for warranty; 1,200 / 5 years, but it never goes to $185 like the MX500 does.

Sandisk 3D Ultra and Western Digital Blue 3D both offer 500TBW / 5 year warranty.

My biggest gripe is that Crucial never released a 4TB MX500, am hoping the new stuff has 4TB and larger, as the 2.5 SATA format is still more cost effective than large NVME drives.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Nice!

So the funny thing about the MX500, is that the only "better" drive is the Samsung 870 EVO in terms of TBW for warranty; 1,200 / 5 years, but it never goes to $185 like the MX500 does.

Sandisk 3D Ultra and Western Digital Blue 3D both offer 500TBW / 5 year warranty.

My biggest gripe is that Crucial never released a 4TB MX500, am hoping the new stuff has 4TB and larger, as the 2.5 SATA format is still more cost effective than large NVME drives.

Speaking of the 870 EVO I just grabbed a 2tb for $210 shipped ... a reasonable markup for SS quality is still worth it IMO. (NOT however 25% like normal though!)

I also have one of the Sandisk 3D Ultra (SATA) 1tb drives and both will fully saturate SATA III so although the EVO is slightly faster it makes zero difference most of the time in the real world.

My results with those MX5 drives has been YMMV ... out of 5 drives (all 500g) that I've personally used, 2 have failed. Crucial replaced both with refurbs under warranty but my confidence was shaken... sold off the rest.

At one point I pretty much only used Samsung for SSD's but this is the first time I went with them in awhile. Nothing at all about the drives themselves they're just too expensive.

Now I just have to resist the $349 2tb Samsung 980 Pro PCIe 4x on Newegg lol!

:p

Last edited:

B-Riz

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2011
Speaking of the 870 EVO I just grabbed a 2tb for $210 shipped ... a reasonable markup for SS quality is still worth it IMO. (NOT however 25% like normal though!)

I also have one of the Sandisk 3D Ultra (SATA) 1tb drives and both will fully saturate SATA III so although the EVO is slightly faster it makes zero difference most of the time in the real world.

My results with those MX5 drives has been YMMV ... out of 5 drives (all 500g) that I've personally used, 2 have failed. Crucial replaced both with refurbs under warranty but my confidence was shaken... sold off the rest.

At one point I pretty much only used Samsung for SSD's but this is the first time I went with them in awhile. Nothing at all about the drives themselves they're just too expensive.

Now I just have to resist the $349 2tb Samsung 980 Pro PCIe 4x on Newegg lol!

:p

Dang, makes me sad to hear you got bum MX500's. I have been using Micron / Crucial SSD's for years, no issues. Along with the WD Blue 3D / Sandisk 3D and 850, 860, 960 EVO and 970 EVO Samsung's, really what ever of those 3 brands is the cheapest at the time I need a drive.

I went with a WD SN850 2TB, as the Samsung was out of stock and, then, I started seeing issues with the new 980 Pro being reported.

Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Dang, makes me sad to hear you got bum MX500's. I have been using Micron / Crucial SSD's for years, no issues. Along with the WD Blue 3D / Sandisk 3D and 850, 860, 960 EVO and 970 EVO Samsung's, really what ever of those 3 brands is the cheapest at the time I need a drive.

I went with a WD SN850 2TB, as the Samsung was out of stock and, then, I started seeing issues with the new 980 Pro being reported.

Overall I've had good luck with Crucial SSD's and RAM over MANY PC's so I may have just been unlucky. Their support has ALWAYS been top-notch.

I had one weird problem with a 1tb WD Blue SATA III drive last summer (purchased at Best Buy) that was ID'ed by Windows as having Sandisk firmware.

Called WD support and they were unable to verify the serial number, tried Sandisk and got the same reply. Both reps also verbally assured me I would still have a warranty but I exchanged the drive for one with the correct firmware anyway. (Sandisk version only because I was concerned the other WD's were from the same batch)

Later I came across reports of several other folks that had the same experience and it seems the Blue drives with SD firmware had overheating issues?

Last edited:
  • Wow

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
Yep, I grabbed the 1TB model a week or two ago for 89
That less than 3 month old drive shit the bed yesterday while copying a movie to it. It had been used to load video files onto in order to plug into the TV's USB.
Dang, makes me sad to hear you got bum MX500's. I have been using Micron / Crucial SSD's for years, no issues.
Overall I've had good luck with Crucial SSD's and RAM over MANY PC's so I may have just been unlucky.
Yep, pretty much this sentiment. I've used at least 6 to 8 different Crucial SATA SSDs, and this was the first failure. It happens.

What amazed me was that as opposed to filing an RMA with Crucial...Amazon was willing to allow a return, just short of nearly three months after purchase. Didn't even have to contact Crucial about it, and I'm getting a full refund instead of a refurb replacement. Works for me, heh.

Reactions: Captante

B-Riz

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2011
That less than 3 month old drive shit the bed yesterday while copying a movie to it. It had been used to load video files onto in order to plug into the TV's USB.

Yep, pretty much this sentiment. I've used at least 6 to 8 different Crucial SATA SSDs, and this was the first failure. It happens.

What amazed me was that as opposed to filing an RMA with Crucial...Amazon was willing to allow a return, just short of nearly three months after purchase. Didn't even have to contact Crucial about it, and I'm getting a full refund instead of a refurb replacement. Works for me, heh.

Nice. I bought some Amazon Warehouse Crucial DDR4 3600 cheap that ended up having one bad stick, Crucial approved the RMA.