MX Revolution mouse

Raiden256

Platinum Member
Feb 11, 2001
Just got my MX today... love it! The scroll wheel is fantasic, and I like how it knows to shift into Free-Spin mode when I spin fast. Can definitely scroll down pages of ATOT threads faster now. :)

Cliffs: Logitech Fanboi.

PS: I know it's not a gaming mouse, but for standard usage I haven't used one better.

BrokenVisage

Lifer
Jan 29, 2005
I got the laptop model of it, the free-spin is cool but I hardly use it, got annoying after a while. Battery life is meh, was hoping for more in that department since it's not dock rechargeable. I like how it fits my hand, the buttons are nice, the zoom switch is nifty too.

ppdes

May 16, 2004
I was really annoyed with my Revolution when I first got it. My previous mouse was an MX1000 which had far more convenient buttons. I particularly missed the one between the forward and back buttons and the ones right above and below the wheel. These are very close to where my fingers are normally, so easy to use.

In contrast the Revolution has that weird dial thing on the side that you have to move your thumb away from the forward and back buttons to use. Then to replace the two buttons above and below the wheel it has a single button below the wheel, but so far back you have to contort your finger to use it.

Also it didn't let me map middle click to pushing the wheel sideways or something like that. Both the Revolution and the MX1000 make middle click way too insensitive, so I usually use clicking wheel sideways for that instead. For the Revolution I had to download a hacked version of SetPoint to pull that off.

It's also smaller, so my hand can't rest on it as easily.

Actually, after typing all that, I think I'm going to go buy a new MX1000.

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
I don't really like the fit of the MX Revolution. It's a little too "revolutionary" for me. I prefer the old-school MX510-type versions.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Originally posted by: BrokenVisage
I got the laptop model of it, the free-spin is cool but I hardly use it, got annoying after a while. Battery life is meh, was hoping for more in that department since it's not dock rechargeable. I like how it fits my hand, the buttons are nice, the zoom switch is nifty too.

I have the same VX Revolution.

How do you use the "free-spin" feature?

Battery life does suck compared to my old Logitech V200 which easily lasted a year.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
I thought about upgrading to a MX Revoution but other than the fly wheel, it's inferior to the MX1000 for my uses. Use the MX1000 for day to day and G7 for gaming.

FilmCamera

Nov 12, 2006
I like my G5. It's awesome. Only logitech I've ever liked. Most of their other stuff is crap, save for some joysticks.

dbk

Lifer
Apr 23, 2004
I'm still using my MX310...I have yet to find a wireless mouse with the same look/size. Anyone have any recommendation? I've thought about getting the VX but it seems a bit smaller than the MX310. MX Rev is too bulky for my taste, just like 510,518, 610..etc.

GeekDrew

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000
I'm using an MX1000, but I absolutely hate the scroll wheel's 'center click' function, it's way too hard to press. Side click is easy, but stupid. I wish I had my MX700 back. lol

secretanchitman

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
nice mouse...my friend has it and its really nice.

theres a nice deal in hot deals for the VX revolution (not the MX)...so if ya'll want a damn nice notebook mouse, there ya go.

novasatori

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
Originally posted by: GeekDrew
I'm using an MX1000, but I absolutely hate the scroll wheel's 'center click' function, it's way too hard to press. Side click is easy, but stupid. I wish I had my MX700 back. lol

yeah it can be annoying, when I can I just map middle click to a different button - lord knows there's enough of them

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002

yea the side click scroll wheels are stupid, i tend to set off the side switch whenever i tried to press the wheel down. i had to remap the middle button to the little middle thumb button:p its just not worth the effort to try anymore cuz of the wobbly wheel. esp in games and such where speed is important. the cheap see saw plastic buttons are annoying as well, buttons should be separate.

LongCoolMother

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2001

Wow. And I thought I was the only one!! I have the VX revolution and the middle button is hell to use. I've gotten much more used to it now though, but its still nothing compared to how other mice feel. I think adding the side tilt thing to it really screws it up :(.

novasatori

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
Originally posted by: LongCoolMother

Wow. And I thought I was the only one!! I have the VX revolution and the middle button is hell to use. I've gotten much more used to it now though, but its still nothing compared to how other mice feel. I think adding the side tilt thing to it really screws it up :(.

I never used the middle mouse before because it was hard to use, but I've been forced to use it recently with some new software, and I've actually be noticing it "clicking" easier than ever before.

Maybe it will just get better over time, who knows.

BrokenVisage

Lifer
Jan 29, 2005
Originally posted by: RossMAN
Originally posted by: BrokenVisage

I have the same VX Revolution.

How do you use the "free-spin" feature?

Battery life does suck compared to my old Logitech V200 which easily lasted a year.

There should be a curved line indented on the bottom of the mouse with a little notch that you can move to either side. Once it's moved to the free-spin side the mouse wheel will immediately feel unrestricted and you can let 'er rip.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I'm still using an MX700. The connectors are getting a little flakey, sometimes it doesn't charge the way it should. I think I'll be upgrading to the MX1000 soon, they're not too expensive on Ebay.

GeekDrew

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000
Originally posted by: LongCoolMother

I bought a VX Revolution a couple of weeks ago... shortly after my previous post in this thread. I still stand by my original post, that I hate my MX1000's scroll wheel's center click, but I absolutely love my VX Revolution's scroll wheel, including its center click. To heck with the fact that it doesn't have a dock and it's got sub-par battery performance (from what I've read), I'm tempted to buy several more (for other computers). My long-retired MX700 was my standing favorite, but it's been displaced by the VX Revolution, and that's saying a lot, for me. ;)