Mwahhahahaa....bend over you telemarketing bastards!!

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
Appeals Court Upholds Do Not Call List
DENVER - A federal appeals court upheld the government's do not call registry Tuesday, dismissing telemarketers' claims that it violates free speech rights and is unfair because it doesn't apply to charitable or political solicitations.

In an anxiously awaited opinion, the 10th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals (news - web sites) called the registry "a reasonable fit."

"We hold that the do-not-call registry is a valid commercial speech regulation because it directly advances the government's important interests in safeguarding personal privacy and reducing the danger of telemarketing abuse without burdening an excessive amount of speech," the court said.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
yeah!

the amount of telemarketing calls i have got have been cut down!

Mookow

Lifer
Apr 24, 2001
Originally posted by: Fausto
Appeals Court Upholds Do Not Call List
DENVER - A federal appeals court upheld the government's do not call registry Tuesday, dismissing telemarketers' claims that it violates free speech rights and is unfair because it doesn't apply to charitable or political solicitations.

In an anxiously awaited opinion, the 10th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals (news - web sites) called the registry "a reasonable fit."

"We hold that the do-not-call registry is a valid commercial speech regulation because it directly advances the government's important interests in safeguarding personal privacy and reducing the danger of telemarketing abuse without burdening an excessive amount of speech," the court said.

I see the idea of a lot of people having to bend over has you quite excited... :confused:

Jun 18, 2000
Good, now just make it so the list does apply to "charitable or political solicitations" and then it would be perfect.

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
I've hardly gotten any in the last few months. I got a call from the "Police Benevolent somethingsomethingsomething" the other day but they hung up pretty quickly when I asked them what % of the money they take in actually gets passed along to local police organizations. :D

Maximus96

Diamond Member
Nov 9, 2000
what actions can the littles guys like myself take when i still receive calls after i tell them to never call again.

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
Originally posted by: conjur
Privacy: 1
Asshats: 0
True, but I won't be completely satisfied until all phones have a "Release Rabid Pit Bull On Caller" button on them. :D

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: zaku
what actions can the littles guys like myself take when i still receive calls after i tell them to never call again.

The whole point is you don't HAVE to tell them anymore.

If they call you, document it & they'll get fined.

Viper GTS

Maximus96

Diamond Member
Nov 9, 2000
i'm wondering what is needed to document the incidents. ask for the telemarketers name and phone number along with the time and date? what then do i do what the information? who do i report it to?

nevermind, found it on donotcall.gov

MrBond

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
What's the time limit a company can call you after you've done business with them? It's pretty long right, 2 years or something?

I got a call from Columbia House asking me to renew again, I asked to be put on their DNC list. I haven't been a columbia house member in almost a year now. As an aside, I see they're also farming out their phone service to India.

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
True, but I won't be completely satisfied until all phones have a "Release Rabid Pit Bull On Caller" button on them. :D

All you need is a videophone...just turn around and flash that thong!

You'll never get calls again....from ANYONE!!

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000

All you need is a videophone...just turn around and flash that thong!

You'll never get calls again....from ANYONE!!
Besides yourself, of course. :p

CraigRT

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
we used tp get telemarketers like crazy calling my place.. always seemed around dinner time too... punks..
it seems to be a fair bit less lately... whatever the reason is, i am happier :D :)

Argo

Lifer
Apr 8, 2000
They can still call you as long as you're their customer. Chase keeps using that excuse to call me, now I just gotta remember to tell them to stop.

Kaervak

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2001
I love how they say it's unconstitutional. It's against our free speech for people to voluntarily sign up for a list telling us to stop calling them trying to sell them useless sh!t they don't wan't and don't need after they've busted their asses all day at work and are trying to relax or eat dinner.
rolleye.gif

ggavinmoss

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2001
I heard on the radio they were expecting 60 million people to sign up in the 1st year and already over 90 million had signed up. Great news.

-geoff