mw3 dedicated servers dead...

Bman123

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2008
so i have been checking the ded servers since i got the game and there is barely anyone on there. There is a shit load of servers to play on but there is no people playing. I think it was maybe 5 servers with enough people to play that's it.

I know the shit aint ranked but damn, there is your option to enjoy the game with rules, tailored to the way you like the game, i mean there really is something for everyone to play.

I looked thru the list and what really makes me mad is the ping is low and there is no one playing it but if i play ranked its loaded with up to 55,000 people and the best ping i can get is 125-150 i mean come on.

I knew it was un ranked before i got the game but i am really surprised how bad most pc gamers are about complaining the servers arent ranked. There is boosted servers in there that are ranked. I didnt believe it at first until i played a round of free for all and went up a rank by the end of the game.

It just urks (sp) me that the option is there and no one takes advantage of it. It would be nice to get into some low ping lobbies but most of the time thats not the case when playing ranked team deathmatch.

Last edited:

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
The last time I played, the dedicated servers were not unlocked, meaning, if you didnt unlock the perks and weapons in the ranked system, you did not have them on dedicated servers. So playing on dedicated servers was a waste of time, unless you like the default weapons.

Spikesoldier

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2001
The last time I played, the dedicated servers were not unlocked, meaning, if you didnt unlock the perks and weapons in the ranked system, you did not have them on dedicated servers. So playing on dedicated servers was a waste of time, unless you like the default weapons.

or you could max out level and not prestige and have everything. this is exactly what i did in mw2, as the AK47 was unlocked at the max level.

Bman123

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2008
i just dont get it why the dedicated servers are basically dead. People are pissed you cant rank up in the servers but there are servers that you can rank up in. I have played on 2 seperate servers that were set up this way.

If i had a server i would set up my own but at the same time im sure it would probably be a waste since no one really even plays them. I just get mad due to the ping being high as shit in some games. It really messes up the hit detection big time.

I havent ran into many cheaters either. I had a series of games where someone was clearly using a lag switch because every time i ran into the same guy his character would completely lock up in a running motion aand he would kill me every time. I ended up reporting the dude but im sure nothing happened about it

Last edited:

YBS1

Golden Member
May 14, 2000
They knew good and well by making the dedicated servers unranked they would completely kill them, thus giving them something to point to and say "Look, everyone prefers IWNet!" while patting themselves on the back. You can't split the player base that way and expect it to go well. Most players didn't even know how to enable the server listing the first week or so, so the ones that did had few to play with. Additionally, those who figured it out joined in and didn't understand why they could only play with the default loadouts, so you'd have to explain how to create custom loadouts that would stick for dedicated servers to them, that was a chore in in-game text chat. Besides, a crappy game is crappy, whether it's peer to peer or dedicated.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Why would I play on a dedicated server when I can't level up? I can play on a p2p server and act like a complete ass clown, using only the SMAW or Javelin and still level up and earn weapon rank.

Bman123

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2008
Why would I play on a dedicated server when I can't level up? I can play on a p2p server and act like a complete ass clown, using only the SMAW or Javelin and still level up and earn weapon rank.

LMAO that's a good one.

Bman123

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2008
Besides, a crappy game is crappy, whether it's peer to peer or dedicated.

To each his own, I can't get into battlefield and I have played cod since cod2, as much as people hate on the game I like it alot and play it everyday.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Seems odd as much as people bitch about the P2P servers.
Also, I thought the admins could unlock stuff on the dedicated servers and have it set any way they want?

My guess is that people are too worried about their epeens to want to have fun. This is why achievements and leveling up in FPS games is bullshit.

DeadFred

Platinum Member
Jun 4, 2011
No the leveling is fine, its the P2P that is bullshit. CoD4 servers were perfect, they let you play any way you wanted and still rank up. The only real problem with Black Ops servers was that they couldnt be customized any way you wanted and still be ranked. (and the fact that the game required Steam) Irregardless it was still miles better than the IWNET crap that IW has shoved on us since MW2. After I found out that MW3's servers would be neutered I lost all interest and Activision lost a sale. Im sure they'll survive and do just fine without my $60.

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
or you could max out level and not prestige and have everything. this is exactly what i did in mw2, as the AK47 was unlocked at the max level.

Right, which is why I stayed off the dedicated servers. I think I'm experiencing BF fatigue so I'll be back to MW3 this holiday break. I will still have to go p2p though, as I was maybe a level 20 or less when I stopped playing.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
I was able to customize my weapons without ranking up. Dunno wha you guys are talking bout.

911paramedic

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2002
Seems odd as much as people bitch about the P2P servers.
Also, I thought the admins could unlock stuff on the dedicated servers and have it set any way they want?

My guess is that people are too worried about their epeens to want to have fun. This is why achievements and leveling up in FPS games is bullshit.
qft

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003

I often marvel at the amount of time I spend doing something entirely unenjoyable in a video game just to get an achievement.

Mutilator

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2000
I know our {FBI} server stays empty most of the time during the day but it is set to allow all weapons. You can create a class under Play -> Private Match -> Create Class - those will be what you use on any dedicated server if you weren't aware of that.

Normally we just play matchmaking games but at night if we get more than 5 or 6 people on we'll move over to the server and play there. 2 nights ago we finally filled it up with 18 people - previously we'd seem to max out at about 12-14 people. Seems like the majority of people just don't know how to find a dedicated server or really want to rank up. I look at it as you've already maxed out your rank and everything is unlocked but some people just want to earn that golden gun over & over again heh.

The server runs Hardcore Team Deathmatch, Kill Confirmed, Team Defender, and Domination and each map/mode is chosen randomly every 10 min I believe (each map change). Works out pretty well because it keeps things interesting without changing your individual gameplay style too much. Feel free to use it or join up if you see people on. We don't bite and I don't think they'll have a problem with me inviting more people to the server. But I also realize that hardcore isn't for everyone. Personally I like people to die when I shoot them without having to use an entire magazine to bring them down. ;)

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
I was able to customize my weapons without ranking up. Dunno wha you guys are talking bout.

Dunno, its been awhile. First thing I did after install was hop on a dedicated server, and the classes and weapon selection was fixed. It was like this for the first five or so servers, so I bailed and went to the ranked p2p. It might have been that I didnt unlock create a class, or the admins at the time didnt unlock everything. Whatever it was, I dont think I was the only one.