Mustang fans know the difference?

edro

Lifer
Apr 5, 2002
Can someone explain the difference (quick explanation is fine) between these Mustangs, and any that are similar that I didn't mention?

BOSS
Saleen
Cobra
SVT
GT
Mach 1
(Did I miss any?)

I am confused as all hell. I think that the Mach 1 and Salene are the most badass, but I don't know for sure.

CRXican

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2004
This will likely get a lot of replies fast. I don't know much about mustangs but my friend loves them so I do know some differences.

BOSS is old school, no clue about that

Saleen, wacky body mods, no real perfomance add ons that I know of (could be wrong)

Cobra 99-01 were not Supercharged but had some variation that made them faster than the GT. 03-04 Cobra is Supercharged and are f*cking badass.

SVT = Cobra, they're made by the Special Vehicle Team at Ford

GT, the standard V8 that is the mustang

Mach 1, shaker hood, scoop that doesn't really do much, some variations which make more power than the GT

Bullit (you left this out), special wheels, colors, interior, engine stuff maybe

jspeicher

Golden Member
Apr 9, 2003
GT < Mach1 < SVT Cobra....I've seen SVT BOSS at around 800+bhp....saleen, depends on what stage.

LeiZaK

Diamond Member
May 25, 2005
Originally posted by: jspeicher
GT < Mach1 < SVT Cobra....I've seen SVT BOSS at around 800+bhp....saleen, depends on what stage.

I think you got that backwards...

DVad3r

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2005
Isent Bullit like an aftermarket performance tuner for mustangs? It's not really officially ford though.

GT= stock
SVT= supercharged
Mach 1 = 04 was last model I believe, stock with the exception of shaker hood = more HP

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Are you talking about late model Mustangs?

BOSS - slightly more performance oriented than regular Mustang GT
Saleen - Aftermarket tuner with Ford warranty support, all kinds - mild to wild.
Cobra - Built by SVT division of Ford (Special Vehicle Teams). High hp, excellent brakes and handling. Manual only.
SVT - See above
GT - V8 powered Mustang, better wheels, suspension and gearing than regular V6 model.
Mach 1 - See BOSS above.

Cobra is most badassed for stock Ford manufactured. Saleen could be comparable but it will be pricey.

Edit-The new Cobra will be a monster. I'd love to have that car.

MasterAndCommander

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2004
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus

Saleen - Aftermarket tuner with Ford warranty support, all kinds - mild to wild.
Cobra - Built by SVT division of Ford (Special Vehicle Teams). High hp, excellent brakes and handling. Manual only.
SVT - See above
GT - V8 powered Mustang, better wheels, suspension and gearing.
Mach 1 - See BOSS above.

Cobra is most badassed for stock Ford manufactured. Saleen could be comparable but it will be pricey.

There also ROUSH Mustangs - see Saleen description.
For old school - Shelby Mustangs are the most sought after.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: MasterAndCommander

SVT - See above
GT - V8 powered Mustang, better wheels, suspension and gearing.
Mach 1 - See BOSS above.

There also ROUSH Mustangs - see Saleen description.

True, those are sold at Ford dealerships and are covered by the Ford warranty also.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
IF I remember when it comes to mustangs you have 3 basic variations for most years, not all though.

LX suffix
no suffix
GT suffix

Those have all the same bodies (usually) but different engine sizes. LX is themost stripped down engine, usually a 4 banger when they used to make LX's. Normal mustangs are V6's. GT's are either V8's or HUGE V6's with a much larger compression capacity (ie more liters of gas is in the engine).

Then there are the "tweaked" mustangs. Cobra, Mach 1, Billit and Saleen. These have slightly different body styles and engine mods. Most use the base GT model for that year and tweak. Either adding super or turbo chargers onto the engine or a hood scoop for more air intank or a different suspension. They are all just different variations of the same GT base model for the year they are based off. Remember, year to year changes the base models which is LX, no suffix, and GT.

The only "different" mustang car is the Shelby. That is a completely different model all together, and technically doesn't have to be called a mustang but FORD calls it a Shelby mustang and not a Shelby since it uses many of the same mustang parts. Which is why the name Shelby is a prefix and not a suffix like anything I mentioned above. You would say a Mustang Mach 1 and Shelby Mustang. You don't say them the other way like Mach 1 Mustang and Mustang Shelby.

Least that's how I remember it all.

MasterAndCommander

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2004
Originally posted by: DVad3r
Isent Bullit like an aftermarket performance tuner for mustangs? It's not really officially ford though.

GT= stock
SVT= supercharged
Mach 1 = 04 was last model I believe, stock with the exception of shaker hood = more HP

Bullitt was a special editon GT released in comemoration of the Fastback GT 390 Steve McQueen drove in the movie "Bullit". It had a few mods to make it produce a bit more horsepower and torque than the standard GT, plus "Bullitt" badging.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: HumblePie
IF I remember when it comes to mustangs you have 3 basic variations for most years, not all though.

LX suffix
no suffix
GT suffix

Those have all the same bodies (usually) but different engine sizes. LX is themost stripped down engine, usually a 4 banger when they used to make LX's. Normal mustangs are V6's. GT's are either V8's or HUGE V6's with a much larger compression capacity (ie more liters of gas is in the engine).

Then there are the "tweaked" mustangs. Cobra, Mach 1, Billit and Saleen. These have slightly different body styles and engine mods. Most use the base GT model for that year and tweak. Either adding super or turbo chargers onto the engine or a hood scoop for more air intank.

The only "different" mustang car is the Shelby. That is a completely different model all together because it's based off a different designer, Shelby. Which is why the nameShelby is a prefix and not a suffix like anything I mentioned above. You would say a Mustang Mach 1 and Shelby Mustang. You don't say them the other way like Mach 1 Mustang and Mustang Shelby.

Least that's how I remember it all.

None of the Mustang tuners listed here use turbos.

See my post above for more in depth description.

CVSiN

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2004
Originally posted by: CRXican
This will likely get a lot of replies fast. I don't know much about mustangs but my friend loves them so I do know some differences.

BOSS is old school, no clue about that

Saleen, wacky body mods, no real perfomance add ons that I know of (could be wrong)

Cobra 99-01 were not Supercharged but had some variation that made them faster than the GT. 03-04 Cobra is Supercharged and are f*cking badass.

SVT = Cobra, they're made by the Special Vehicle Team at Ford

GT, the standard V8 that is the mustang

Mach 1, shaker hood, scoop that doesn't really do much, some variations which make more power than the GT

Bullit (you left this out), special wheels, colors, interior, engine stuff maybe

Saleen is not a Ford anymore... and they have extreme performance increase over stock..
these are all 350+ HP cars with aftermarket engine and suspension as well as brakes and wheels.. nothing except the block in most cases is left from Ford.
Saleen is a car manufacture when you buy a car from them it is NOT a Ford Mustang any longer.
it is a Saleen S281 S351 etc etc...
they are the top dog for stangs...
for example..
S351RR= 560+ hp 351 cleveland motor with blower able to pull close to 1 G on the skidpad while maintaining a near 200 mph top end.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Wasnt the BOSS just a regular mustang with a V10?

No, they all use the same 4.6l V8 engine. Some are DOHC (Cobra and Bullitt IIRC-I may be wrong on the Bullitt though) but most are SOHC engines.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Originally posted by: CRXican

You can't be serious, right? Saleen is the top dog mod for Mustang. Steve Saleen is well known by mod fans, even the imports crowd.

0-60 for less than 3 seconds is a REAL PERFORMANCE in anyone books.

Click me for Saleen performance specs

<<----- is a big import fan but likes Saleen stangs for sure.

MasterAndCommander

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2004

No, they all use the same 4.6l V8 engine. Some are DOHC (Cobra and Bullitt IIRC-I may be wrong on the Bullitt though) but most are SOHC engines.

AFAIK, only the Cobra and '03/'04 Mach 1 have the DOHC 4v engines.

There is rumor going around that a future Boss Mustang will have a 5.4L V10...but nothing official has come out.

gsellis

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2003
Another performance mod of the newer Cobras 2001-2004, IIRC, is independent rear end. All others have live axle. Reduces wheel hop on burnout and on acceleration out of a turn.

DVad3r

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2005

http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/concept/bossv10/7.jpg

^ thats a 10 BOSS mustang, search around you will find alot more info...the car apperently did not go into major production because it was wayy too light and had too much torque, it would spin out with the slightest touch.

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003

He's thinking of the Boss 429 concept from I believe 95/96. It had a 429 V10 in there.