Must Stop applications from changing file associations!

Discussion in 'Software for Windows' started by SoftwareEng, Apr 5, 2012.

1. SoftwareEng

SoftwareEng Senior member

I just realized how easy it is for things to go bad in Windows. I am deploying a PC for someone (Windows 7 Home Premium), and just about any application, including the user himself, can change/break file associations.

Is there a program to permanently lock down file associations? E.g. I don't want anything to steal my mp3/winamp and html/notepad associations.

If not a utility, Is there a registry key I can make read-only? This can't be that freaking' hard! Thanks.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Stop applications changing Forum Date
    Firefox randomly stopped drawing Software for Windows Apr 1, 2017
    How to stop videos from autoplaying in IE? Software for Windows Mar 24, 2017
    I stopped Microsoft Security Essentials mid scan Software for Windows Oct 17, 2016
    Microsoft: Please stop moving the start button!!! My rant Software for Windows Apr 2, 2016
    Stupid question: How do you stop MS applications from over-writing the next letter when typing? Software for Windows Mar 4, 2003

3. corkyg

corkyg Elite Member<br>Super Moderator <br>Peripherals
    Super Moderator

#2 corkyg, Apr 5, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  4. SoftwareEng

Hey Corkyg, thanks for that tip... However, I don't want to use Deepfreeze because I know I'll forget to disable it once or twice after applying important changes, and it will blow them away. I was looking for a program to watch for and restore any changes to file associations.

5. Nothinman

Nothinman Elite Member

I'm sure you could do it by setting permissions on the appropriate keys, under HKCR IIRC, but it's not just a single key so you'll have to do some reading on how Windows handles file type associations.

6. SoftwareEng

Cool, I can see how that would work. One could even write a program to unlock those keys (i.e. set appropriate permissions) before installing an app that's allowed to make a change, and then locking them again.

I'm adding this to my potential apps-to-write list :)

Thanks!!

7. bbacle

bbacle Junior Member