Muslim parents are complaining about flyers for Easter egg hunts

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

silicon

Nov 27, 2004
The parents are upset about this but don't have a problem when it's their own religion that is doing it, Gotta love the hypocrisy.

Yes the hypocrisy is lovable. my question is this to muslims....Why come to a christian/ judaic country if they do not like it when christians and jews do these activities? What not stay in the craphole from whence they came?

Apr 27, 2012
Talk about hypocrisy, if the parent 's religion was doing something similar you would be going batshit crazy like you always do.

The US is a Christian country. And just pay attention to what is going on in Europe to better understand the situation.

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
Yes the hypocrisy is lovable. my question is this to muslims....Why come to a christian/ judaic country if they do not like it when christians and jews do these activities? What not stay in the craphole from whence they came?

I see an American parent complaining about separation of church and state.
Doesn't that happen like thousands of times a year in America?

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
So why is there a defined separation of Church and State in the US Constitution?

There is no such thing. What is prohibited is the formation of the Church of the United States. Courts took writings from Jefferson and ran with that.

Oh, the US is not a Christian nation either.

TerryMathews

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
So why is there a defined separation of Church and State in the US Constitution?

Truthfully, so that we wouldn't have a President as the head of the national religion.

You have to keep in mind, a number of things in the Constitution are based on the founders trying to distance us from England.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Since when is an Easter Egg Hunt "church shit"??

Since quite literally when the practice was started by early European christians as a spooky way to find out who in the village still clung to the "the old gods." I consider that behavior quite shitty actually, very McCarthy-esque and certainly un American. Americans have forgotten about that for the most part, probably a little more noteworthy for muslim. You're essentially saying he's an idiot because he resents his kids being invited to another religion's tradition, one that started as a way to root out non-christians from the community.

Time for some of that empathy christians are always on about. Hypothetical: your christian son attends a public school where he is part of a christian minority, and is repeatedly given material concerning, and invited to, an event marking the triumph of non-christians by commemorating lions, as in the ones christians were thrown to.

Sure it happened a long time ago and no one has any fear of being thrown to the lions, but does anyone honestly expect there would be no uproar over that if it happened? Seems pretty insensitive and divisive to me, not what I would expect from people who advocate loving and respecting your neighbor.

Regarding this story in particular, I'd say it becomes so when it's organized by and held at a church. As others have said having it at the school would have be a more appropriate choice.

Yeah, what is that dad thinking. A muslim familiar with the separation of church and state and is wondering why his kids in public school are being invited to an event based on (accordingly to christians themselves) the most important christian holiday, involving religious symbols and traditions, held at and organized by a christian church. Right.

And btw you ignorant fucking hypocrite, do your own research before telling others to do the same. Save your predicable 'no clue lol living under a rock lol' for a time when you know what you are talking about.

TerryMathews

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Since quite literally when the practice was started by early European christians as a spooky way to find out who in the village still clung to the "the old gods." I consider that behavior quite shitty actually, very McCarthy-esque and certainly un American. Americans have forgotten about that for the most part, probably a little more noteworthy for muslim. You're essentially saying he's an idiot because he resents his kids being invited to another religion's tradition, one that started as a way to root out non-christians from the community.

Time for some of that empathy christians are always on about. Hypothetical: your christian son attends a public school where he is part of a christian minority, and is repeatedly given material concerning, and invited to, an event marking the triumph of non-christians by commemorating lions, as in the ones christians were thrown to.

Sure it happened a long time ago and no one has any fear of being thrown to the lions, but does anyone honestly expect there would be no uproar over that if it happened? Seems pretty insensitive and divisive to me, not what I would expect from people who advocate loving and respecting your neighbor.

Regarding this story in particular, I'd say it becomes so when it's organized by and held at a church. As others have said having it at the school would have be a more appropriate choice.

Yeah, what is that dad thinking. A muslim familiar with the separation of church and state and is wondering why his kids in public school are being invited to an event based on (accordingly to christians themselves) the most important christian holiday, involving religious symbols and traditions, held at and organized by a christian church. Right.

And btw you ignorant fucking hypocrite, do your own research before telling others to do the same. Save your predicable 'no clue lol living under a rock lol' for a time when you know what you are talking about.

Love the rant. Can really tell this story got you right in the feels.

None of this has to do with the issue at hand. Again, case law is specific and numerous. The standard is equal access.

This will probably really chap your ass: its perfectly legal for a religious organization to hold a spiritually driven after school program on school grounds as long as they are made to pay the same rates as any other group. They are also able to distribute flyers with the children as long as the school sends home any other third party material.

Its hilarious how often you all accuse the "conservatards" of arguing based on their feelings and not facts. Set an issue in front of a liberal that they care about like gun control or religion in school and you all behave exactly the same.

It's like I've been saying: stupid doesn't follow political allegiances.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Unfortunately for you, the law isn't what you want it to be.

You have to be a special kind of stupid to equate advertising an event with indoctrination.

You have to be a special kind of stupid to equate religious advertising to school libraries, PTO, and after school sports.

Let's trade helmets.

I'm not debating laws. I'm giving my opinions. I don't believe the school should be involved in this in any way. My response would be the same if my child came home with religious events invites.

In comparison: Our school sends home a harvest festival invite to everyone in the fall. The harvest festival is at a church in our town. It's not affiliated with any religious holiday, therefore I have no issue with it.

If our school sent home an invite to the same church's Easter egg hunt, then I would have a problem with it. I would voice that problem as well.

If our school sent home an invite to the same church for the candle light ceremony on Christmas eve, I would also have a problem with that.

If you choose not to see the difference, that's your choice.

If any other religious paperwork came home from any other religious source, I'd still have a problem with it. Unlike many Christians I'm around, I don't hold my own views above others.

Last edited:

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Love the rant. Can really tell this story got you right in the feels.

And I appreciate your personal arbitrary proclamations on the story, as well as ignoring I was answering specific questions by another poster. Sorry if being aware of history threatens your narrative.

None of this has to do with the issue at hand. Again, case law is specific and numerous. The standard is equal access.

On paper perhaps, but it doesn't pass the sniff test and you (should) know it. Don't worry, I'm not holding my breath expecting christians to live up to their sales speak, no sleep will be lost over this.

This will probably really chap your ass: its perfectly legal for a religious organization to hold a spiritually driven after school program on school grounds as long as they are made to pay the same rates as any other group. They are also able to distribute flyers with the children as long as the school sends home any other third party material.

It takes a lot more than something inappropriate to 'chap my ass', sorry. I actually don't have a problem with private, after school events that adhere to the same guidelines as all other after school activities by other groups. That makes it elective through and through. The policy on distribution doesn't satisfy any of my reservations though. Anything religious should not be distributed at a public school during normal school hours, period. With greater religious homogeneity, those '3rd party materials' sometimes just never seem to materialize, which is why I asked for examples of non christian faiths doing something similar in school. A request you unsurprisingly ignored.

Its hilarious how often you all accuse the "conservatards" of arguing based on their feelings and not facts. Set an issue in front of a liberal that they care about like gun control or religion in school and you all behave exactly the same.

And here your attention to detail again does you no favors. Please do substantiate ANY of that in regards to my posts. Hilarious indeed, you're so incensed you either are blatantly making shit up, or attributing the posts and sentiments of others to me.
Take your time, I'm eager to see these mentions of "conservatards" and my liberal views on gun control here.

It's like I've been saying: stupid doesn't follow political allegiances.

..and yet, you just couldn't help yourself from labeling me as the political boogeyman of your choice just now, even though you are clearly ignorant of what I believe. lol Yeah, keep telling us what constitutes "stupid" in your book. Fascinating!

Well like I've been saying, you guys are so predictable it's depressing.

TerryMathews

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Any what exactly about England were they trying to distance us from?

I thought my whole post made that crystal clear, but since you don't seem to follow: they were concerned about creating a new Church of England.

I don't see how this could possibly lead to that.

TerryMathews

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
If any other religious paperwork came home from any other religious source, I'd still have a problem with it. Unlike many Christians I'm around, I don't hold my own views above others.

I'm sure the Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts are active in that area...

TerryMathews

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
And I appreciate your personal arbitrary proclamations on the story, as well as ignoring I was answering specific questions by another poster. Sorry if being aware of history threatens your narrative.

On paper perhaps, but it doesn't pass the sniff test and you (should) know it. Don't worry, I'm not holding my breath expecting christians to live up to their sales speak, no sleep will be lost over this.

It takes a lot more than something inappropriate to 'chap my ass', sorry. I actually don't have a problem with private, after school events that adhere to the same guidelines as all other after school activities by other groups. That makes it elective through and through. The policy on distribution doesn't satisfy any of my reservations though. Anything religious should not be distributed at a public school during normal school hours, period. With greater religious homogeneity, those '3rd party materials' sometimes just never seem to materialize, which is why I asked for examples of non christian faiths doing something similar in school. A request you unsurprisingly ignored.

And here your attention to detail again does you no favors. Please do substantiate ANY of that in regards to my posts. Hilarious indeed, you're so incensed you either are blatantly making shit up, or attributing the posts and sentiments of others to me.
Take your time, I'm eager to see these mentions of "conservatards" and my liberal views on gun control here.

..and yet, you just couldn't help yourself from labeling me as the political boogeyman of your choice just now, even though you are clearly ignorant of what I believe. lol Yeah, keep telling us what constitutes "stupid" in your book. Fascinating!

Well like I've been saying, you guys are so predictable it's depressing.

Are you unable to recognize that "you all" is plural?

CitizenKain

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2000
They can go fuck off and get out of the US, and take their bullshit culture/religion with them. Tired of people coming here and wanting to change everything to be like their shithole they ran from.

According to rpanic, the US is for White Christians only, browns can get out.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Are you unable to recognize that "you all" is plural?

You applied it to me, in a response to me, so please - enough with the surprise. There are less embarrassing ways to backpeddle you know. You could always man up and simply say "oops, I misspoke," or even a "sorry, confused you with someone else." Trying to act like you weren't speaking about me just makes you look like a fool, and a cowardly one at that.

Seriously, we have enough trolls around here for that. Your assistance isn't required.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
The US is a Christian country. And just pay attention to what is going on in Europe to better understand the situation.

The US is a secular nation. Christian nations have state religions and monarchies.

TerryMathews

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
You applied it to me, in a response to me, so please - enough with the surprise. There are less embarrassing ways to backpeddle you know. You could always man up and simply say "oops, I misspoke," or even a "sorry, confused you with someone else." Trying to act like you weren't speaking about me just makes you look like a fool, and a cowardly one at that.

Seriously, we have enough trolls around here for that. Your assistance isn't required.

I can't research your posts now due to the staff here not being able to fix their Tapatalk plugin. You said to review your posts. I will.

That said, it wasn't a backpedal. Sorry if you took a different meaning from my post than was intended. I don't really know who you are. You certainly don't stick out in my mind like the retarded liberals do.

Last edited:

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Since quite literally when the practice was started by early European christians as a spooky way to find out who in the village still clung to the "the old gods."
-snip-

Other sources disagree with you:

There's no story in the Bible about a long-eared, cotton-tailed creature known as the Easter Bunny. Neither is there a passage about young children painting eggs or hunting for baskets overflowing with scrumptious Easter goodies.

And real rabbits certainly don't lay eggs.

Why are these traditions so ingrained in Easter Sunday? And what do they have to do with the resurrection of Jesus?

Well, to be frank, nothing.

Bunnies, eggs, Easter gifts and fluffy, yellow chicks in gardening hats all stem from pagan roots. These tropes were incorporated into the celebration of Easter separately from the Christian tradition of honoring the day Jesus Christ rose from the dead.

According to the University of Florida's Center for Children's Literature and Culture, the origin of the celebration — and the origin of the Easter Bunny — can be traced back to 13th-century, pre-Christian Germany, when people worshiped several gods and goddesses. The Teutonic deity Eostra was the goddess of spring and fertility, and feasts were held in her honor on the Vernal Equinox. Her symbol was the rabbit because of the animal’s high reproduction rate.
http://news.discovery.com/history/what-does-easter-bunny-come-have-to-do-easter-120406.htm

It's not the 'Resurrection Bunny' and has no more to do with the Christian 'holiday' than an overweight, unshaven, elderly guy who dresses badly and owns flying deer has to do with Christ's birthday.

There are religious people who dislike these characters (Bunny, Santa Claus) because they they divert and distort the meaning of the event.

In any case, the guy gives it away when he complains about Halloween which (also) has nothing to do with Christianity. I wonder if he'll raise h3ll again if he's assigned to a polling place that is a church.

Fern