Music match coming to Google Play

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
No discussion of this? And it's free. Sorry, Apple.

We're used to it in other areas, but it still boggles my mind when el Goog shows up to give away for free what a competitor is charging for.

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
Sounds pretty sweet to me, I was tempted to do it with Apple for a while but I'm glad I waited.

cronos

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
Wow I just read it again and it's definitely buried deep in the announcement. November 16th to European countries first, and then the US 'soon after'.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Hmmm.. Xbox Music will have such a feature, so I know almost all of my music will be available wherever Xbox Music is supported. But on Android, that's still "to be released in the future".

My question - will Google match WMA files? You cannot upload them, DRM'd or not (I don't think I even have any DRM-free WMAs though), so my Google Play music content is far less than I have on my desktop.

I cannot wait for Xbox Music on Android though. The old Zune Pass was awesome, and I still currently get to retain the Keep 10 aspect... I'll have to continue to use the Zune app though, even on Windows 8, since the Xbox Music app does not support the Keep 10 credit system. And my Zune HD does get to enjoy any Xbox Music features.
Holding out hopes that a Windows Phone 8 or Windows RT 3" or 4" PMP (wifi only) device will be brought to market by at least one manufacturer.

I just don't want to give up the Zune Pass. I can't ... not until Microsoft kills it off. And I actually prefer having a dedicated mp3 player, even if I also have a smartphone.
Perhaps I won't have to wait any longer than a year for Xbox Music to land on Android - as there are Android PMPs out there, though it's a fairly dry market. But any Android phone more than a year old can be had for good retail (no contract) prices. hmm

Yes, that was a massive segue. Deal with it. :D

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
Google Music makes it SO DAMN HARD to play your purchased music in other players. It wouldn't be so bad if their Play Music app wasn't such shit.

Feb 19, 2001
Sounds pretty sweet to me, I was tempted to do it with Apple for a while but I'm glad I waited.

yeah... i thought it was a cool feature but I somehow knew that while Apple can get away with charging for it, it was just a matter of time before Google came out with a free alternative.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
I use Winamp on my computer to play the music I've bought and downloaded.

I believe the question is focusing on playback within Android.

Which, to the best of my knowledge, does require the Play Music app. Even offline access is restricted. You either sync the music yourself and use your app of preference, or you are locked into Play Music if you desire the cloud syncing aspect.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
So I guess I don't get it.

I use Google Music a lot. I have over 10,000 mp3s in my Google Music cloud. How does this help me?

pm

Elite Member Mobile Devices
Jan 25, 2000
So I guess I don't get it.

I use Google Music a lot. I have over 10,000 mp3s in my Google Music cloud. How does this help me?

I'm glad you asked... because I'm confused what this means too but was too shy to admit that I don't understand how this affects me.

Ravynmagi

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2007
Google Music makes it SO DAMN HARD to play your purchased music in other players. It wouldn't be so bad if their Play Music app wasn't such shit.

Yeah, this is the reason I don't use Google Music. First, pinning individual songs seems to be impossible (why?). If I remember right, I have to pin an entire album or something (and finding the pin offline option is weird). And once I finally got the song I wanted pinned offline (and a dozen others I didn't) I can't even play it with my favorite music player (Player Pro).

Amazon MP3 is so much easier, I can download individual songs, it's intuitive, and I can play those songs with other apps too.

Come on Google, improve your stupid music player app. It sucks so bad.

Ravynmagi

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2007
is it even possible?

If you are rooted, yes. But it's a PITA. You have to pin it offline, then play a few seconds of it. Then go find the cache folder. In that cache folder are the MP3s, but they have random file names, so you have to look at the created date to figure out which you just pinned offline. Then you have to copy it to your music folder and rename it to something identifiable.

In short, it's so much work, it's not worth it. :)

basslover1

Golden Member
Aug 4, 2004
Yeah, this is the reason I don't use Google Music. First, pinning individual songs seems to be impossible (why?). If I remember right, I have to pin an entire album or something (and finding the pin offline option is weird). And once I finally got the song I wanted pinned offline (and a dozen others I didn't) I can't even play it with my favorite music player (Player Pro).

Amazon MP3 is so much easier, I can download individual songs, it's intuitive, and I can play those songs with other apps too.

Come on Google, improve your stupid music player app. It sucks so bad.

IIRC since 4.1.1 you can pin individual songs using the Play Music app, at least I can anyway.

As far as the match feature my understanding is that you don't have to upload your entire library anymore. You can just let the desktop play music app scan your library and go from there.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
No discussion of this? And it's free. Sorry, Apple.

We're used to it in other areas, but it still boggles my mind when el Goog shows up to give away for free what a competitor is charging for.

as already mentioned multiple times in this thread this'll require the Google Play app. Which SUCKS and is stupidly restrictively. Google also has no PC client, so for both of these reasons even if it costs money Apple's music match >>> Google's variation.

Last edited:

basslover1

Golden Member
Aug 4, 2004

BenSkywalker

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Google also has no PC client

That's good to know, can you tell me what the hell I'm using right this second then? It says Google Play Music, it has all my Google Play Music, it's running on my desktop..... Glad you are here to tell me it doesn't exist though :)