Mushkin Customer Support Opinion.

The-Noid

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2005
Note this is not my attempt for Mushkin to honor an RMA request. Just for others to get some insight. Note, even if my request was not to be honored for anyone who owns a business, you know you should always provide supportive evidence if the customer is wrong.

These modules were sitting on my book shelf (my secretary calls it where computers go to die) for the last 8 months or so after 2 modules died. Many people had problems with these Hyper modules. I am not sure if there was scienter involved here or if the modules really were damaged in shipping. The main thing I asked for 5 days ago from Mushkin was pictures or supportive documentation. I have been provided with none. Believe it or not this is only the second computer part I have ever RMAed, the first being an 8800gtx that bluescreened over *.

Mushkin Support
Greetings,

You recently returned parts to us via the RMA process. Due to the nature in which the modules were packed, they were physically damaged in route back to us. Unfortunately, this physical damage prevents us from honoring your RMA request as the modules were not shipped back in an appropriate manner. As such, we will be returning the modules to you as soon as possible.

Thank you. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

I should also note, should Mushkin see this I do not want an RMA, my guess is the modules were damaged, just that as support PROVIDE pictures and respond to your customers should something like this happen often.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Yoxxy I have had good experience with Mushkin support but that was a while back and maybe things have become more dire (and as such they are less generous nowadays).

At any rate I really just wanted to post and ask does Mushkin have a documented/detailed RMA packaging requirement protocol?

Did you ensure the shipping to Mushkin? This is exactly what shipping insurance is for.

And bummer on your ram getting mangled in shipping, never fun to have Murphy's law forced into your day.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Ram was insured, but PO of course wants to see the package.

Then I'd be apt to just let their fraud investigation division deal with Mushkin directly.

Not that fraud is afoot, but once you make it clear to the parties involved (Mushkin and PO) that resolving the "who damaged what when" issue is a matter of their records and not yours then it gets moved into a whole different file folder on the Mushkin side of the business equation.

Burden of proof moves onto Mushkin's shoulders to prove that shipping insurance fraud is not involved on their behalf as a means to deny your rma claims while enabling you to get compensation all the same (i.e. they don't lose, you don't lose, but the shipping insurer does), and Mushkin will be compelled to be a bit responsive about such inquiry by the shipping insurer.

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
Shippers can deny insurance if they deem items were insufficiently packed.

How did you pack the modules? They need anti-static protection, minor physical protection plus they shouldn't be packed together such that they are rubbing on each other.

Blain

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Mushkin Support
"Greetings,

You recently returned parts to us via the RMA process. Due to the nature in which the modules were packed, they were physically damaged in route back to us. Unfortunately, this physical damage prevents us from honoring your RMA request as the modules were not shipped back in an appropriate manner. As such, we will be returning the modules to you as soon as possible."

Thank you. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions."

How did you pack the modules?

That is the $64,000 question.

The-Noid

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2005
Static free bag and air pop. Same way I have packed things for years sending them all over this little earth.

The-Noid

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2005
Seems like it is another "lifetime warranty as long as you don't do anything with the product, packaging, resale, lose your original invoice, register your product within 5 hours of getting it, put little bows on the shipping ..."

I think as Idontcare put it, when memory margins were higher the companies could get away with a lot more, each is probably chincing a bit at this point.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Kinda like Insurance Rescission, only in this case it would be Warranty Rescission (or Shipper's Insurance Rescission) with all the same nasty business ethics that are associated with the former.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
I've heard of manufacturers denying RMAs due to ram not being returned in the plastic holders.

ya i have heard the same thing. i have a whole tub of those stupid original packages for the ram but i personally put two sticks in same bag and fold it so they dont touch each other (usually use fairly large bag) i bet its bs i had gigabyte mobo that had caps fall off they said ya sure send it in it had tiny scratch on the pcb and they denied the rma saying the mobo is damaged (who cares im sure it will still run fine thanks for wasting my money in shipping and buying your product that fell apart!) also had seagate not honor warranty not sure why but i figured it was because i didnt use the giant foam cut out box (since they also told me ya sure we will rma the drive send it in) then when it gets there they ship it back bad still. Frustrating since it cost more to ship then the WD drive that got shipped same way and rma'd fine.

I dont agree with them having to take pictures of it, they either do or dont rma no need for extra time taking pictures