Question Multiple utilities only reporting one core from my FX8350

jamesdsimone

Dec 21, 2015
I'm was trying to tune up my now very old gaming rig. I have an FX8350 with crossfired 7970's. I don't play any newer stuff so it still does ok. I was using Speccy and it only reported 1 core and 1 thread. CPUID shows the same thing. AMD overdrive shows only one core. Windows 7 device manager does show the 8 cores. I went into BIOS and switched to manual control of the CPU and enabled all 8 cores. The utilities are still showing 1 core. Am I only using 1 core? And why is that happening? No wonder my gaming is sluggish.

SteinFG

Dec 29, 2021
I love how there is this widespread joke of people searching for a solution to their problem and finding random dude with the same problem, bull all they said is "got this resolved".
At least give the forum solution to the problem hahah.

In2Photos

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2007
Looks like it was a BIOS setting issue. Another thread from the OP about Windows 7 not booting.

jamesdsimone

Dec 21, 2015
I went into BIOS and disabled Cool n Quiet. I set CPU core control to auto. I saw in another forum that setting the core count in advanced boot options might fix it. When I first tried it, and don't ask me how, the limit ram option got checked and it was set to 256MB so I was trying to boot to Windows 7 with 256MB without knowing it. Not surprising it wouldn't boot. Why there would be an option to set your ram limit to a value that makes it unbootable is beyond me.

Reactions: Ranulf

Hotrod2go

Nov 17, 2021
OP, just leave the bios options for CPU core count on auto. I've always done that with my AM3+ rig (see signature) & never ever had a problem with core count in any OS (7 or 10) or with any 3rd party utility to measure hardware specs for cpu. Leave features like cool n' quiet on auto unless your into significant oc of the cpu. I can overclock my FX-8350 with cool n' quite on, no problems if its a mild OC.
It's amazing how end users complicate things unnecessarily.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER