Multiple Sata 6 setups

dragonbat13

Feb 18, 2013
Right now I am looking into a new motherboard.

One of the things I am doing with this computer is heavy media file storage. I will probably have a seperate drive for photos, music, videos and documents.

While I could use one drive and partition it, I would rather use seperate drives for the ability to move the drives to other computers. Such as when my video drive fills up I can move it over to the HTPC computer.

I just want to have the best sata 6Gb setup. I always seem to be moving hard drives around and want to futureproof my setup as best I can.

So my question is how I should go about getting the sata ports I need.

Should I try to find a motherboard that can support more than two ports, or should I find a mother with a PCIe slot that can support a stand alone sata controller?

THe computer is a i7 3770K, 8Gb Ram, one GTX 670 GPU with possible SLI later on, SSD for operating system and currently a 1T HDD for files. Eventually I will be getting at least a 3T for the movies, and another for the documents. That would leave the 1T for music. THe large drive for the music is due to multiple files (FLAC, MP3, WMA) of the same music.

If I do go with a stand alone controller, what PCIe type slot should I shoot for to maximize the SATA 6Gb? Any recommendations on the card?

BTW, there wont be any RAID going on, and if there were it would be a mirror type for backup (very doubtful, I backup regularly with a external drive right now).

Thanks.

Thanks.

Hellhammer

AnandTech Emeritus
Apr 25, 2011
If you're just going to use hard drives, then the native SATA 3Gbps ports will be just fine. Hard drives can barely saturate SATA 1.5Gbps so SATA 6Gbps wouldn't provide any benefit.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Yes. The only benefit to SATA6G currently, is SSDs (and multi-LUN expanders, but that's another subject). HDDs don't really benefit from SATA6G in any way that is noticeable for day-to-day operations.