Multiple monitors from a single DisplayPort?

jensbodal

Jun 15, 2010
How do I know if my Graphics cards can support this?

We just got a few new Dell Laptops/Desktops (Latitude Z/Optiplex 780) and we would like to run Dual monitors. The Optiplex's have DisplayPort and VGA outs, so I could just grab a converter for those and run VGA/DVI, but the Z's have only the DisplayPort.

Do the monitors need to be DisplayPort or is it possible to turn the 1 DisplayPort into two VGA/DVI?

aka1nas

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2001
I thought you need to daisychain them anyway, even if the devices properly support that capability. So, you would need to be able to run a displayport connection between the two monitors, not just try to split the output from the laptop's displayport.

jensbodal

Jun 15, 2010
Well that's kind of annoying, but also expected. We need to get some laptops in here that can support dual monitors, they need to be Dell and preferably need to be much smaller than the Z's. We are shipping the Z's back as soon as we get some replacements.

NoQuarter

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2001
How do I know if my Graphics cards can support this?

We just got a few new Dell Laptops/Desktops (Latitude Z/Optiplex 780) and we would like to run Dual monitors. The Optiplex's have DisplayPort and VGA outs, so I could just grab a converter for those and run VGA/DVI, but the Z's have only the DisplayPort.

Do the monitors need to be DisplayPort or is it possible to turn the 1 DisplayPort into two VGA/DVI?

You have to use a hub device to run 2 DVIs off 1 DisplayPort. http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...530&lid=627063

There's some limitations to the total resolution based on the bandwidth of DisplayPort though.

jensbodal

Jun 15, 2010
I was hoping the hub wasn't the only solution, but guess we will just have to wait. We are switching out to E6410's with E-Port Plus docking stations as soon as possible, they can run dual monitors using the port replicator and are easier to store and travel with.

Thanks for the replies.