Multiple hard drive boot problems

iman00b

Dec 1, 2003
Got a Maxtor and Seagate HD on secondary ide master and slave. With both drives on they both fail to detect, windows gets a lil strange with really long shutdown times. Once in a while they work together but after shutting down they wont work again. If i only have one of the two drives on it seems to work perfectly. Anyone know how to fix this?

RebateMonger

Elite Member
Dec 24, 2005
Incompatibilities existed fifteen years ago, but I haven't heard of any recent issues. Maybe one of the drives is failing?

iman00b

Dec 1, 2003
the jumpers are correct for sure. i mentioned that it does work together sometimes but rarely. i have a nForce3 250GB board that should let me use Ultra DMA 6 - Ultra133 but this secondary channel is locked to only Ultra DMA 2 - Ultra33. i think my onboard IDE controller is bad.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Are they hooked up on the same cable? If one of them is FUBARed and talking trash it could potentially cause problems.

One workaround is to get a USB enclosure and mount it as an external. That would allow you to at least get the system booted before you try to mount the second drive...