Multiple Display question....

Vega

Oct 9, 1999
I've been out of the PC scene for a while so maybe this is common knowledge nowadays but here is my question...

Sometime next year I plan on building a PC for use with my projector, I plan on using it for Blu-Ray, Gaming, Web browsing,...etc. Right next to my projector setup there will be my a computer desk which I plan to setup another system on.

So do I need a seperate PC entirely to run the LCD monitor at the computer desk or can I use the same PC connected to the projector to run both of the displays. I'd also like the 2 screens to be able to work independent of one another, for example....If I'm watching a movie of the projector I'd like to be able to browse the web on the desktop monitor. Also, is it possible to do a LAN type gaming session with the use of just one PC?

Thanks, I hope I explained myself clearly enough

nanaki333

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2002
if you're asking if you can have 2 completely different things on each display, then yes. with the right AMD card, you can have up to 6 displays all with something different.

or are you asking if you can run 2 sets of keyboard/mouse/monitor off the same tower and basically have 2 PCs with 1 tower?

nanaki333

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2002
i know there is software that will let you do it. i've never actually done what you're asking. i've done thinclients and dummy terminals, but that's most likely not the ideal solution for you. i did find this though.

http://international.ibik-soft.com/

so it's definitely possible.

Vega

Oct 9, 1999
with pc's getting so powerful now adays I figured this could be common thing by now, I guess not.

Mark R

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
This is a commonly used setup called "multiseat" configuration.

This is has been well supported on Linux for some time, and is now a supported configuration on Windows.

If you are using Windows, then you will need a server OS. MS do a special edition server OS called "Multipoint server 2011" specifically for multi-seat use. Multiseat usage is not supported on desktop OSs like XP/Vista/7. Mutipoint 2011 supports up to 20 users on a single PC (hardware permitting).

Last edited: