Multiple computer problems after cpu cooler install

menorton

Feb 10, 2004
I apologize for the wall of text, but it's needed. Cat/Corgi tax at the bottom.

So, my AMD FX-6300 (6 core, 3.5ghz) was getting kinda loud after I overclocked it to 4.2ghz via the overdrive utility. Beyond that, it has been working just fine for the past few years I've had it. The overdrive overclock is a recent decision, like last week. I decided that a third party cpu cooler was in order, so I bought an CoolerMaster 212 Evo based on reviews. This was the biggest pain in the ass to install, but eventually I did. I plug everything back in, it goes to bios, then says gives me a disk read error. I restart, go to bios, make sure that the harddrive with Win 10 is the first object to boot from. Still get the same error.

I turn off the machine and unplug everything. I see that the cooler is not perfectly over the cpu by the widths of a few millimeters. So I readjust everything and get it as square as I can, and thats where I discover that the coolermaster base is smaller than the cpu. I doublechecked, coolermaster says the cooler is quite compatible AM2,3,3+ sockets. After I plug everything back in, I can get past bios but the pc just sits there with a blackscreen, I dont even get the check disk error.

At this point, I'm seriously getting concerned about the perceived lack of CPU coverage. I go into bios and I decide to test my theory that the CPU is on purpose preventing win10 from loading due to heat concerns. I decide to underclock the hell out of my cpu. I change the 'Process Max Freq' from 'x31.5 4700mhz' to 'x4 800mhz'. I do the same thing for 'North bridge max freq' to the same 'x4 800mhz'. Then at 'Processor Max Voltage', i figure that too many volts is too much heat, i lower it from the '1.#' that it was to the lowest setting of '0.6'. I save and quit.

The cpu at this point gets super, super loud. It won't even post, or go to bios. It just sits there black screen. After like 10 seconds of this I get freaked out and I press the Off button, holding it, to turn it off. It does. I turn it back on and again it gets really really loud, no post, no bios. Shit.Time to reset the bios. I turn it off, unplug everything, unplug psu from mobo (both cables), remove gpu, reset CMOS via jumpers, remove battery, wait a few minutes, replace battery, reset CMOS again via jumpers, press the power switch in case that matters, and plug everything back in.

Now the computer wont even turn on. Yes i've doublechecked all connections.

Did I royally fuck up my CPU? Is a new one needed now?

Cat/Corgi Tax:
corgi-cat-sleep.jpg

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
I see that the cooler is not perfectly over the cpu by the widths of a few millimeters.
That's not a problem. The top of the CPU you see is not the top of the silicon, but a heat spreader designed to allow a heat sink to be practically anywhere on its surface, among other things.

I decide to underclock the hell out of my cpu. I change the 'Process Max Freq' from 'x31.5 4700mhz' to 'x4 800mhz'. I do the same thing for 'North bridge max freq' to the same 'x4 800mhz'.
That's OK.

Then at 'Processor Max Voltage', i figure that too many volts is too much heat, i lower it from the '1.#' that it was to the lowest setting of '0.6'. I save and quit.

0.6 probably isn't enough to run your CPU at all. 1.0 is probably safe. Going lower doesn't damage anything; you just need to reset your BIOS.

My guesses: Best case, you failed to reset your BIOS. Worst case, you cracked or scratched your mobo while installing the heat sink. :(

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Check your motherboard for signs of scratches, cracks, missing/damaged components . . . admittedly, this can be hard if parts of the board are obscured by mfg-installed heatsinks.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Double check everything you did when you changed coolers. Re-seat the CPU. Re-do the thermal paste. Check the CPU fan connection.

Maybe even go back to the old cooler temporarily.

menorton

Feb 10, 2004
UPDATE:

1. I didn't know that the pc had to be turned on with the CMOS jumper set to reset. I thought I just had to move the pin over and back and that would be that. So after correctly reseting the CMOS, the pc turned on, and I got into BIOS. CPU specs were the same etc. I save and quit, and see how it will handle booting up windows

2. To my surprise, the 'disk read error' wasnt there. It actually shows a windows prompt, and it asked me which OS i wanted to load. This was a wtf moment as i only have windows 10 (upgraded via win 8.1) on there. My 3 options? Win 7, Win 8.1, Win 8.1 Pro. Two of these 3 choices I never had, and the one OS i currently had on there isnt listed. Long story short, I selected Win 8.1 Pro, desktop came up, and its my Win 10 OS. I look around to make sure everything is fine, reboot, and win 10 desktop loads just fine.

How the hell can all of this happen via a cpu cooler change I'll never know. Thanks for the input gents

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Weird, all the BIOS reset jumpers I've ever dealt with specifically must not be in the reset position while the power is on or else possible board damage. That's a new one on me.

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
If the system clock was all messed up, I've seen odd behavior like this.