multiple bionc issues! cant get anything to work right now :(

faxon

Platinum Member
May 23, 2008
So i managed to brick my win7 install that i JUST reinstalled 4 days ago while doing a bunch of software installs, and now my main system isnt synching with the milkyway@home servers. i tell it to update, and in messages it gives the usual update requested by user, fetching scheduler list, and then nothing, and it goes into communication deferred with a 24 hour check back clock again. my other system is still crunching away however, and i cant figure out what the hell is going on! detaching and reattaching to the project didnt help, and reinstalling boinc didnt help either.

now, i scrounged up a bunch of parts last night, turns out i have everything i need to set up another work horse. got a 4670, 8800GT, XFX 680i LT, 2GB of DDR2, and an e5200. went to install boinc, all went well, but when i go to advanced>options>http proxy everything is grayed out, and i cant enter our squid proxy info so i can connect the client to the internet. again, reinstall, same problem, wont go away at all! anyone have any idea how to fix either of these problems? i wanted to get my 8800GT running seti, and the 4670 running collatz, and while that particular system needs a better power supply before i actually let it run anything intensive, it would be nice if i can at least get it working

Last edited:

faxon

Platinum Member
May 23, 2008
wow so after a day of waiting, i finally lost it, and went into genius hacker mode in my brain. i have been searching through the file libraries, editing DLL and XML files, and thinking about other stuff just off the top of my head to try to fix this, what i did was just delete my BOINC folder in program data, and copied the ENTIRE FOLDER from one rig to another. since they're more or less identical (q9550 vs q9650, app figured it out easy enough), it just deleted all the invalid work units and now its working fine again.

on the flip side of things, this fix didnt work at all on the new system i just set up, even after uninstalling boinc, reinstalling it, and replacing the fresh folder with the new one. same problem, no proxy info, app wont even let me load the attach to project manager either. it's like it's missing something somehow, doesnt make any sense.

ed: i should add, that installing to a different partition on the same disk didnt help, and copying the program files and program data folders both, also didnt help. it simply refuses to do anything except sit there taunting me! grrr!

Last edited:

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
Sorry, I can not think of anything else to propose - except to clean the whole system from all matters BOINC (incl. the registry) and then install an older version of BOINC (e.g. the one which works on other computers). For that puropse I have 6.6.38 and 6.10.18 (?) in my repository. 6.6.38 you can download from BOINC in Berkeley. Very often these older versions work ...
Oh, I would try that after making sure that the latest version (6.10.56) does not work, which I assume is this case.

dajeepster

Golden Member
Apr 15, 2001
restart app.

I'm running 6.10.56 with no problems (all windows updates and latest drivers also)... I did have problem the other day when I lost internet access while i was at work... boinc stopped working on all my systems.. I only did 500K ppd that day.. sad sad day it was.. ... anyways, I restarted boinc on all my systems and everything came back up.

faxon

Platinum Member
May 23, 2008
i will try loading an older version on that 3rd system, i have been using 6.10.56 since i started back in may, this is the first time i have had any issues what so ever.

faxon

Platinum Member
May 23, 2008
kk, so i got that 3rd comp working with 6.6.38 client, but it wont let me use my 4670 for collatz at all for some reason. it isnt even detecting that its there to use, and the catalyst control center is also completely useless because the 8800GT is the primary display adapter right now, so its not letting me access it. i actually cannot swap them without having to do some modifications to the layout of the build, because of the aftermarket thermalright IFX heatsinks i have installed (stock ones literally fell off). would swaping the 4670 and the 8800GT so they're in opposite slots possibly fix my problem? i can move everything around but it would require taking that rig down for several hours, taking the mobo out, and getting another IFX cooler (using SLI-IFX from when i had a dual slot card there, single slot i can use standard) as it is, my 8800GT would run right into the heatsink when i put it in due to the angle its at, but the 4670 isnt long enough for this to be a problem. simply swapping the location of both heatsinks isnt an option, since the SLI-IFX cooler doesnt have anywhere to go due to the shape of its base

dajeepster

Golden Member
Apr 15, 2001
i wish i could help... but i don't mix ati and nvidia gpu's on the same system. D:

faxon

Platinum Member
May 23, 2008
looksl ike it doesnt matter now. that board was having problems before, but i think now its dead. stopped reporting on the 27th and i only just noticed lol. i swapped the monitor over to it, and it was completely hung. killed the power, wouldnt post. swapped the 8800GT for just the 4670, wouldnt post. both cards were good before, one wasnt even doing any work. board was having problems already, was hoping to get a bit more life out of it. guess i might look for a super cheap replacement if i can find one, its out of warranty now anyway. anyone have a dual PCI-e board capable of taking an e5200 that they're willing to part with for about $20-40? i dont have the money for a new board right now :(

ed: checked to make absolute sure it wasnt my brand spankin new PSU, definitely the board. guess it couldnt handle the heat. quite strange really, that board had better cooling on it than both my UD3P, those IFX coolers work really well and i had multiple 120mm fans blowing straight on em. wasnt sure if it was even gonna work, but then when it did i spent what little budget i had for a board on my girlfriend. i is sad panda :(

Last edited: