multimedia audio controller and other stuff

digory

Nov 14, 2003
After my power supply burned up, none of my periphreals worked, but I got those back up, no problems...except that my sound still won't work.
In my device mananger, I see the multimedia audio controller is listed under OTHER DEVICES as an unknown device.
I've reinstalled updated drivers for the sound card, but I can't figure out what the heck this thing is. Is it off an old modem , motherboard or something?

Also, I was getting an error that the hard drive was dying. After resetting the CMOS jumper, I quit getting the error, but this thing is slower than MO-LASSAS.
I know I probably need a new drive, but could there have been damage to the mobo?

Thanks
Dig

jackschmittusa

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2003
When you reset the CMOS, you went to all default settings, typically very safe settings (read: slow). You will need to go into the settings and adjust for some more performance. Does your rig have onboard sound that needs to be disabled (often enabled by default)?

What "other devices" do you have in the box? Does Device Manager show the sound card to be working now?

digory

Nov 14, 2003
Yeah, I've already disabled the onboard sound. According to the device manager the sound card is working great.

I imagine there is a box that's unchecked somewhere. Just a matter of finding it.

As far as the slowness goes, I'm finding that explorer.exe is using up 100% of my cpu resources. So that accounts for the slowness. But how to fix that is another ordeal. I found a couple malware viruses and contained them. I've done some reseach on it only to find a plethora explanations that it's a problem, with a handful of ideas on how to correct it. Everything from corrupt AVI files to bad RAID drives (neither of which I have).

Anyone run into this? It seems to be a fairly common problem.
How did you fix it?

digory

Nov 14, 2003
Well, I got the sound working. That was such a simple solution, I'm embarassed to say what it was.

I still can't account for the CPU usage though. I don't have any AVI files, don't have any graphic foo-foo on my desktop, no viruses and no RAID drives...yet explorer uses up 100% of the CPU.

I hate to reformat...again.

digory

Nov 14, 2003
OK, as for the CPU usage, I have found what seems to be the problem.
As this seems to be a common problem, I'm hoping someone will find this helpful.

After watching the start up process, I realized explorer.exe was making it's jump to taking up 95+% of my CPU when the software for my HP scanner was loading.

I uninstalled all of the software I could, restarted and voila!

Although two HP processes remained, (hptskmgr.exe and someting else) I can't account for why, because my scanner is the only HP product I own. You'd think I would have learned after that crappy HP printer I had.
Unfortunately, I HAVE to have the scanner software for the scanner to work.

All seems to be running well now, so if your CPU is maxing out, try uninstalling any HP software you have. That may be the problem.