solidsnake1298

Aug 7, 2009
How discernable a difference is there between a delta-sigma DAC and a multibit DAC? I am currently using a Schiit Modi 3 and I've been eye humping the Schiit Bifrost 2 for a while.

I don't plan to replace my Asgard 3. I don't particularly care about balanced connections. I'm just wondering if any of you folks have A/B tested between a delta-sigma and multibit DAC, same amp and headphones, and been able to tell the difference. Even if it is only a small difference. How would you describe the difference?

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
My Gungnir is multibit. Don't get me wrong I love it, but I needed to do more research. I based my purchase on listening to a friends stack. His wasn't multibit though, so I figured going multibit would be better. It is better, but it's not by a lot. If your choice is based on dollars, save your bucks.

solidsnake1298

Aug 7, 2009
I'm not looking for pure value at this point. If I was I would stick with my Modi 3. My thinking is that I'm right about to reach that diminishing returns plateau where things start to get really expensive for exceptionally little gain. All my choices recently have been to get my setup to the point where going beyond it would result in no justifiable increase in performance.

I've got my fast, detailed planar magnetic headphones: Hifiman Sundaras upgraded from Sennheiser Game One's (based on HD 558?). I've got a slightly warm sounding (my preference), resolving, and controlled headphone amp: Schiit Asgard 3 upgraded from a Schiit Magni 3. Now the last piece is my DAC. As long as there is a definite, noticeable improvement, even if a relatively small improvement, I'm ok with that. The Bifrost 2 will be the last upgrade for the foreseeable future.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I have the original Bifrost Multibit but I can't say I have ever A/B'd it - tied to a Burson Soloist Mk II amp used primarily with Beyer T90's. I've had it for some years now and it's not going anywhere.

It was slightly above my budget but based upon reading a shit ton of reviews and head-fi posts it seemed like it was worth the extra bucks at the time. Obviously reviews usually just talk shit up, but it seemed users that had experience with more gear felt it was a worthwhile upgrade. Not a groundbreaking upgrade, but a worthy one.

Check the head-fi forums for way more interaction on this subject. You'll probably find a lot of people who have compared it to other amps by now.