Mulholland Drive is the worst movie ever

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Platypus

Lifer
Apr 26, 2001
Originally posted by: ThePresence
Yeah ok, whoever thinks this movie sucked really bad didn't 'get' it.
rolleye.gif

I think someone would have to be braindead not to understand the points the movie is trying to make.

Rather, I think someone has to consider Lynch's entire career, including the television show this film is based off of, and Lynch's personal convictions for Hollywood and the craft of filmmaking itself to fully 'get' this film. So yeah, I can make that statement pretty easily since I doubt you've studied much in the craft of filmmaking.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: CorporateRecreation
rolleye.gif

I think someone would have to be braindead not to understand the points the movie is trying to make.

Rather, I think someone has to consider Lynch's entire career, including the television show this film is based off of, and Lynch's personal convictions for Hollywood and the craft of filmmaking itself to fully 'get' this film. So yeah, I can make that statement pretty easily since I doubt you've studied much in the craft of filmmaking.

Um, this film was to BE a television show. It was then lengthened and made into a movie.

And I see your elitism knows no bounds. We're to take culture insults from someone who slings fraps and lattes all day for a living?

Platypus

Lifer
Apr 26, 2001
Originally posted by: Amused
rolleye.gif

Um, this film was to BE a television show. It was then lengthened and made into a movie.

And I see your elitism knows no bounds. We're to take culture insults from someone who slings fraps and lattes all day for a living?

It was a television show that the networks refused to run, hence why the movie is so bitter towards the "scene." Also I haven't worked at Starbucks in quite some time now, usually during the summers. And even further, since my profession obviously has everything to do with my personal knowledge of film and my right to contribute an opinion, I suppose we should just all bow down to the great Amused for allowing us peasents to make such posts.
rolleye.gif

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
rolleye.gif

It was a television show that the networks refused to run, hence why the movie is so bitter towards the "scene." Also I haven't worked at Starbucks in quite some time now, usually during the summers. And even further, since my profession obviously has everything to do with my personal knowledge of film and my right to contribute an opinion, I suppose we should just all bow down to the great Amused for allowing us peasents to make such posts.
rolleye.gif

Listen up, coffee boy, I'm not the one telling people they're uncultured boobs if they don't like a movie. No, that was you. But when you get it thrown back in your face, you react as if you've been wounded? Give me a break. "Personal knowledge of film" is not a requirement to know a good movie when you see one. Next you're going to tell us someone who is not a musician cannot appreciate good music and someone who is not an artist cannot appreciate good art.

Claiming anything of the sort is elitist bullsh!t.

Platypus

Lifer
Apr 26, 2001
rolleye.gif

rolleye.gif

Listen up, coffee boy, I'm not the one telling people they're uncultured boobs if they don't like a movie. No, that was you. But when you get it thrown back in your face, you react as if you've been wounded? Give me a break. "Personal knowledge of film" is not a requirement to know a good movie when you see one. Next you're going to tell us someone who is not a musician cannot appreciate good music and someone who is not an artist cannot appreciate good art.

It's not very entertaining to reply to a child, but since that's how you always choose to act in encounters with me and other members of this board, we'll just move on like you actually have the capacity to understand. I already said I wasn't going to fight about a subjective medium, and even further all I said was that if you didn't have prior knowledge of the premise for the film, you wouldn't understand it... How is that elitist? That's like someone not seeing the prequel to a movie and then bitching about how the sequel didn't make sense. All I said was that you need the previous knowledge to understand it. I fail to see how I personally insulted anybody here with my comments but if that helps you sleep better at night, compouned with how every time you post against someone you turn it into a cock waving contest even resulting to personal insults over one's job. I think you need to mature a few years before you speak with me anymore (oh I'm sorry was that too elitist for you?).

I could say a lot about what I do for a living now, and the activities I'm doing but I refuse to drop myself to the sub-par level of human existance you seem to dwell in.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
rolleye.gif

rolleye.gif

Nice Rip Amused. You were hurting a little bit with the Frappe Slinging comment but you recovered well!

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
the emperor had no clothes. the director took tv pilot footage and shot some filled, cut together into a mess that people tried to justify as a movie.

only good part was hot lesbian action

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001

It's not very entertaining to reply to a child, but since that's how you always choose to act in encounters with me and other members of this board, we'll just move on like you actually have the capacity to understand. I already said I wasn't going to fight about a subjective medium, and even further all I said was that if you didn't have prior knowledge of the premise for the film, you wouldn't understand it... How is that elitist? That's like someone not seeing the prequel to a movie and then bitching about how the sequel didn't make sense. All I said was that you need the previous knowledge to understand it. I fail to see how I personally insulted anybody here with my comments but if that helps you sleep better at night, compouned with how every time you post against someone you turn it into a cock waving contest even resulting to personal insults over one's job. I think you need to mature a few years before you speak with me anymore (oh I'm sorry was that too elitist for you?).

I could say a lot about what I do for a living now, and the activities I'm doing but I refuse to drop myself to the sub-par level of human existance you seem to dwell in.
So this movie was made for all 10 people who actually saw the TV show or whatever and have the background knowledge? They make a major motion picture for such a small audience? I doubt it.

Gravity

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2003
Artsy? I just thought it was lousy. I agree with your disdain and also question why this flic got any oscar mention.

LethalWolfe

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2001
I liked Mulholland Drive, Adaptation, and Punch Drunk Love. I guess I just like weird, non-typical stories. Of course I went into those movies knowing they were "odd." If I was looking for something just to kick back to and I picked up Mulholland Drive I would definetly be disapointed. Not because it's a bad movie, but because it wasn't what I was in the mood for. Just because you don't like something, or don't get it doesn't mean it's bad. I'm not a fan of opera but that doesn't mean opera sux. I don't like Harry Potter but I can see why other people do. One man's floor is another man's ceiling. To each their own.

Lethal

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
rolleye.gif

rolleye.gif

Nice Rip Amused. You were hurting a little bit with the Frappe Slinging comment but you recovered well!

Cool. I get the mental image of Red holding up an Olympic score card. :D

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
rolleye.gif

rolleye.gif

I would respond, but I'm overcome by the kettle-pot/pot-kettle thing in your post.

Pepsi90919

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
rolleye.gif

rolleye.gif

0wn3d.

mflacy

Golden Member
Aug 8, 2001

It's not very entertaining to reply to a child, but since that's how you always choose to act in encounters with me and other members of this board, we'll just move on like you actually have the capacity to understand. I already said I wasn't going to fight about a subjective medium, and even further all I said was that if you didn't have prior knowledge of the premise for the film, you wouldn't understand it... How is that elitist? That's like someone not seeing the prequel to a movie and then bitching about how the sequel didn't make sense. All I said was that you need the previous knowledge to understand it. I fail to see how I personally insulted anybody here with my comments but if that helps you sleep better at night, compouned with how every time you post against someone you turn it into a cock waving contest even resulting to personal insults over one's job. I think you need to mature a few years before you speak with me anymore (oh I'm sorry was that too elitist for you?)[/b].

Lacing insults under the guise of defensive behavior doesn't elevate you from "the sub-par level of human existance" that you so proudly hold yourself above. It puts you smack dab in the middle of it.

The bigger person would have let all of this go a few replies ago, IMO.

johnjohn320

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2001
Originally posted by: johnjohn320
Come on! I want someone to tell me why is was a great moive!

In other words, you're looking to pick a fight? Nice...
Ha, not at all. :)
I just want to know why people rave about it. Seriously.

Uh-huh. Face it dude, you came in here looking for an argument. You said the movie sucked, and almost complained when nobody disagreed with you.
rolleye.gif

lowfatbaconboy

Golden Member
Oct 21, 2000
Couldn't agree more. David Lynch owes me 2 and half hours of my life back.

agreed

that movie was just crap.....first 3/4ths normal movie...ok last 1/4th was like the writer took acid and just started writing crap

i figured out an explination for the last 1/4th of the movie and it makes perfect sense but it doesn't make the movie any better (and it is the right explination after asking other people and looking at some websites on the movie....)

it may have made some points and all but it didn't make it good by any means

one man's trash is another man's.......