muhahaha, Toyota said:

andylawcc

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
ripped from WSJ:

Tokyo - Toyota Motor Corp Chairman Hiroshi Okuda suggested the world's second-biggest auto maker is willing to raise the prices of the vehicles it sells in the US to give General Motors and Ford Motor "time and room to catch a breath," but the copmany later issued a statement backing off the remarks.

sounds like pimp slap :)

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Wow, thats gracious of them to even think. I'd be ramping up to move in for the kill.

91TTZ

Lifer
Jan 31, 2005
Originally posted by: andylawcc

Tokyo - Toyota Motor Corp Chairman Hiroshi Okuda suggested the world's second-biggest auto maker is willing to raise the prices of the vehicles it sells in the US to give General Motors and Ford Motor "time and room to catch a breath," but the copmany later issued a statement backing off the remarks.

I call shens. What kind of company doesn't capitalize on its position and allows its competitors to take back market share?

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: FoBoT
wouldn't they win either way since the slightly higher price would be unlikely to deter those who want to buy a quality vehicle?

Fixed. And that's exactly the point.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
WRONG
Toyota says it won't raise prices to aid U.S. car sector

Reuters / April 26, 2005

TOKYO -- Toyota Motor Corp. said on Tuesday it would not raise its car prices to help U.S. rivals, breaking with its chairman's comments a day earlier that voluntary price increases and other steps were in order to help restore health to the U.S. auto industry.

"Our basic stance is that prices are something for the market to determine," a spokesman at Japan's top automaker said. "We are not thinking about changing (vehicle) prices in order to help the U.S. auto industry."

Japanese brands collectively grabbed a record 30 percent share of the U.S. auto market last year, and some executives have become more sensitive about how their companies' success would play out at the political level.

At the Detroit auto show last January, Toyota President Fujio Cho and Honda Motor Co. Chief Executive Takeo Fukui said Japanese brands' expansion in the United States should not go unchecked, with Fukui volunteering that the combined share should be kept under 40 percent.

"I'm worried not only about GM but about the entire U.S. auto industry," Toyota Chairman Hiroshi Okuda told a news conference on Monday as the head of Japan's biggest business lobby, the Japan Business Federation. "Automobiles are the symbol of American industry, and if things go wrong there may be some kind of impact.

"As an automaker, we have to think about what countermeasures we can take," Okuda said, adding that technical alliances and voluntary price rises were possibilities.

A top Honda executive, however, mirrored Toyota's official stance that raising car prices to help the competition in North America was out of the question.

"I realize that GM, as well as Ford, are suffering financially," Executive Vice President Koichi Amemiya told a news conference at which Honda reported a fourth straight year of record earnings. "But that doesn't mean you ignore the customer and raise your prices," he said.

Hit by falling U.S. sales and growing costs for employee health care, General Motors last week recorded a first-quarter loss of $1.1 billion, its worst result since the world's biggest automaker nearly went bust in 1992.

Its automotive operations lost almost $2 billion, most of that in North America as it offered thousands of dollars in sales incentives per vehicle to lure customers back. Even then, GM surrendered more sales to Asian brands, especially in the light trucks segment, its main cash cow.

Ford Motor Co. had a 38-percent drop in quarterly earnings and cut its North American production to reduce bloated inventories of unsold vehicles.

In contrast, Toyota is expected to follow Honda and second-ranked Nissan Motor Co. in reporting its best-ever earnings for the year that ended last month.

GM Chairman and CEO Rick Wagoner has repeatedly complained that the yen is too weak against the dollar, giving Japanese automakers an unfair edge.

Toyota and Honda have argued that they are building more than half of their cars sold in the United States locally, creating jobs for Americans.

andylawcc

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
Originally posted by: 91TTZ
I call shens. What kind of company doesn't capitalize on its position and allows its competitors to take back market share?

read WSJ, its on Page 2.

well, it was just a comment from the Chairman; and not a official, public statement from the company. beside, didn't you read the last line?

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Originally posted by: 91TTZ
Originally posted by: andylawcc

they probably figured that the demand for their cars is pretty elastic - there will be only slight decrease in the numbers sold, which will be more than offset by the price increse so the revenue wil go up.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
GM Chairman and CEO Rick Wagoner has repeatedly complained that the yen is too weak against the dollar, giving Japanese automakers an unfair edge.

What unfair edge? Their cars are still more expensive aren't they?

thomsbrain

Lifer
Dec 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Skoorb
I say go for the throat. GM deserves no better.

agreed. if toyota made crappy cars, i might feel worse about the way they've been dominating, but this isn't some evil walmart take-over, it's just the company with the best products for the most people selling the most cars.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
It kinda makes sense to me... Japan's economy is partially tied to ours, and our automakers probably reflect some portion of our economic health, so it may be in their best interest to make sure they're still around. I'm just talking out of my ass here, though.

WolverineGator

Golden Member
Mar 20, 2001
Originally posted by: Pliablemoose
Waiting for Toyota to buy GM...

Why? To inherit the $1500 PER VEHICLE its costs to cover health care and pension of its UAW workers?
Source: www.detnews.com/2005/autosinsider/0504/19/A01-155271.htm

Why? GM stock is at 15 year lows. To devalue Toyota stock for its shareholders and increase volatility?
Source: MarketWatch April 14, 2005

Why? To inherit GM's 16.5 BILLION in debt?
Source: www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000103&sid=aQrlxkc5P.dc&refer=us

Why? To inherit overlapping vehicles and "GM?s stale product line, which does little for its bottom line."
Source: http://www.fortwayne.com/mld/journalgazette/business/11324401.htm

Please, Pliablemoose, tell me why?

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Originally posted by: WolverineGator
Originally posted by: Pliablemoose
Waiting for Toyota to buy GM...

Why? To inherit the $1500 PER VEHICLE its costs to cover health care and pension of its UAW workers?
Source: www.detnews.com/2005/autosinsider/0504/19/A01-155271.htm

Why? GM stock is at 15 year lows. To devalue Toyota stock for its shareholders and increase volatility?
Source: MarketWatch April 14, 2005

Why? To inherit GM's 16.5 BILLION in debt?
Source: www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000103&sid=aQrlxkc5P.dc&refer=us

Why? To inherit overlapping vehicles and "GM?s stale product line, which does little for its bottom line."
Source: http://www.fortwayne.com/mld/journalgazette/business/11324401.htm

Please, Pliablemoose, tell me why?

Yes, this would be a horrible idea. If I were toyota I would just crush them in the market place by undercutting all their key products. Then let them collapse from within.

GreenGhost

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999
Currency exchange rates do not determine consumer taste. Even if they have an advantage, that's secondary. People must choose and buy the cars first. Besides, with so many flooded dealers, you can always find an American car similarly equipped for less money. Finally, the sales champions are made in the US, with a good percentage of American-made parts.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
yea lol:)

toyota is opening more and more factories in the us while the american companies are fleeing. i think its like 60% american built now.