Mueller recommends no jail time for Michael Flynn- Cites significant cooperation

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Smart move by Mueller as it neutralizes Trump’s pardon signaling.

I don’t have a problem with Flynn getting off. There is a huge industry around high ranking former public servants peddling their knowledge and relationships to those who seek to influence our government, sometimes against our best interests.

Would be ironic if the Mueller investigation ends up tracing the bread crumbs that will bring the whole thing down. I imagine Flynn is able to expose quite a bit.

Last edited:

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Dang, Mueller is rolling these guys up, no wonder Trump looks like he's been shitting himself in slow motion the last couple weeks.

I just heard there was a party planned for Rudy, to mark his time as Mayor, but it got cancelled as no one wants to show up. "Too toxic." Hahaha.

Jan 25, 2011
Smart move by Mueller as it neutralizes Trump’s pardon signaling.

I don’t have a problem with Flynn getting off. There is a huge industry around high ranking former public servants peddling their knowledge and relationsips to those who seek to influence our government, sometimes against our best interests.

Would be ironic if the Mueller investigation ends up tracing the bread crumbs that will bring the whole thing down. I imagine Flynn is able to expose quite a bit.
That charging document is incredibly intriguing. It references Russia specifically. But it also references two other investigations that we don't know about. No idea what they are.

What the document does tell us, even in its redacted form, is they aren't process crimes. They aren't lying to the FBI etc...

Jan 25, 2011
Curious what Trump will say about Flynn now. He had nothing but high praise for him when he first was charged and plead guilty. I'm wondering if that changes now.

And lets examine the list again of who has been charged/convicted/plead guilty. His National Security Adviser, campaign chairman, campaign vice chairman, campaign adviser and his personal lawyer/fixer.

Reactions: dank69

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Mike who? Never even met the guy.

Probably. That Manafort guy was hardly around after all.

Maybe he'll try to get creative again. "We suspected he was a spy for Turkey, staff monitoring him and preparing a case..." Oh please try to bullshit some more off the cuff Donny, you're just so tremendous at it.

Reactions: kitkat22
Feb 4, 2009
a “friend” recently posted on Facebook “Mike Flynn no charges so they have nothing against him” ...(bunch of words that make no sense)... MAGA

How can a MAGA Woman think the Mueller recommending no sentence because he provided useful information is a good thing?
How can she not realize Flynn is not innocent because he admitted guilt.
So frustrating

Reactions: kitkat22 and dank69

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Weird and brief interview I heard with 50 Cent.
He pretty much said:
None of these guys are from the hood, Manafort, Kelly and Cohen will all flip. You need (a word not to be spoken on P&N)’s from the hood to keep thier mouths shut.

wouldn't have guessed 50 to provide some political commentary, but his logic is sound :D

Jan 25, 2011
Heh. For kicks someone checked the Flynn document and compared a redacted entry to another entry that was Trumps name. They were an exact match.

DtnkKvuV4AA-uGZ.jpg:large

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Curious what Trump will say about Flynn now.

Honestly, who gives a fuck what his excuse will be. It's going to be BS as usual, and I'm not even sure that if he asserted that Flynn is a Lizard Man Spy from the planet Zeist whether his base's BS detector would be triggered.

I'm about as interested in Trump's latest excuse as I am Slow's.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Mike who? Never even met the guy.

Speaking of "Mike", there's the matter of Mike Pence and what he knew and when. Flynn says he informed Pence and that was denied. In all this, we haven't heard one word since then and I should think that Pence maintaining a genuine lack of knowledge is improbable.

Reactions: dank69

Stokely

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2017
They have Flynn. There is no doubt he has committed at least one serious felony. The National Security Advisor of the US has been caught working with foreign powers...just on its own, that is one of the biggest political stories in history.

For Mueller to let him go scot-free (not Scott Free!), it means either:
- Mueller and team are completely incompetant
- Mueller and team are playing a GOP game and have no intention to do anything that would really hurt the party
- Mueller and team have gotten much good info on someone further up the chain of command from Flynn (or at least of equal importance in quality or quantity), enough to let him go.

Which of these seems most realistic?

If the last one, who is important enough to let a traitorous NSA go?

I don't think I really believed Trump was in trouble until now. I believed he's guilty as the day is long, of money laundering for decades and for working with Russia, but I figured this was all going to net Flynn, Stone, Manafort and Trump would get off.

This is a really, really bad development for Trump, his family, possibly Pence, and possibly other members of Government.

I truly fear if the walls start closing in that Trump will start a war; he's just smart enough to see what launching an invasion did for GWB's approval ratings. Then he can say "for the security of the nation in this time of war" to justify just about anything. Dangerous times ahead.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Speaking of "Mike", there's the matter of Mike Pence and what he knew and when. Flynn says he informed Pence and that was denied. In all this, we haven't heard one word since then and I should think that Pence maintaining a genuine lack of knowledge is improbable.

Yeah, I always come back to the fact that Pence was in the room--as head of the Trump transition team--when the Obama transition team informed everyone about Flynn, what they knew about him (his foreign activities), and strongly recommended against him. Then, of course, Pence told the American people that he knew nothing about Flynn and that he seemed to be a good guy. All of these are real events that actually happened and are thoroughly documented by everyone involved.

Reactions: darkswordsman17

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
And to think, Trump could've gotten away with everything...if he'd just listened to Obama (or Yates.) Obama warned him in December '16 not to make Flynn NSA...and Trump ignored him. Then Sally Yates warns Trump 6 days after inauguration and...Trump waits 18 days for it to become a scandal before firing him.

Without Flynn, Trump wouldn't have asked Comey to "see his way past this". There would be no subpoenas of Flynn's associates leading up to May 9, 2017. There would be no firing of Comey. There would be no reason for Rosenstein to name a Special Counsel and there would be no Mueller.

Ultimately his ego will become his tombstone and that can’t come soon enough

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Meh. I don't think Flynn realized he was being compromised until he was. Arrogance does that.

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Mueller's been here before. Sammy Gravano confessed to 19 murders to help nail John Gotti, making a deal to serve only 5 years but at the time of sentencing having already been locked up more than 4.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Either Mueller is a fool for letting all these guys off with a slap on the wrist, or they're giving him substantial evidence about people higher up the food chain than they are. So far as I can tell, none of the indictments so far are likely to have relied on anything from Flynn. Meaning we have yet to see the indictments that he is providing evidence for.

It's too bad today's filing didn't give us more information, but the implication of the recommendation for no jail time when they caught him perjuring himself at least 4 times, failing to register as a foreign agent, and who knows what else, is not a good one for Trump.
It's pointed out that Flynn turning early, made it difficult for the other campaign and transition witnesses to lie, thus getting good info early on in the investigation. Not happy about the Turkey stuff, and not getting hit on any of that though.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
That charging document is incredibly intriguing. It references Russia specifically. But it also references two other investigations that we don't know about. No idea what they are.

What the document does tell us, even in its redacted form, is they aren't process crimes. They aren't lying to the FBI etc...
I bet that third completely unidentified investigation is a counter intelligence investigation.

Reactions: kitkat22

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
Yeah, I always come back to the fact that Pence was in the room--as head of the Trump transition team--when the Obama transition team informed everyone about Flynn, what they knew about him (his foreign activities), and strongly recommended against him. Then, of course, Pence told the American people that he knew nothing about Flynn and that he seemed to be a good guy. All of these are real events that actually happened and are thoroughly documented by everyone involved.
What poetic justice it would be for Pence to be caught up as well as Trump and then he realizes Pelosi would be appointed President and his hope for a pardon goes flying away...

Reactions: NL5 and hal2kilo

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
And to think, Trump could've gotten away with everything...if he'd just listened to Obama (or Yates.) Obama warned him in December '16 not to make Flynn NSA...and Trump ignored him. Then Sally Yates warns Trump 6 days after inauguration and...Trump waits 18 days for it to become a scandal before firing him.

Without Flynn, Trump wouldn't have asked Comey to "see his way past this". There would be no subpoenas of Flynn's associates leading up to May 9, 2017. There would be no firing of Comey. There would be no reason for Rosenstein to name a Special Counsel and there would be no Mueller.

Perhaps, but I doubt it. What I don't understand/hasn't been explained yet-is WHY Flynn (and others) lied about their Logan Act violations. Flynn certainly knew two things at the time of his lies: (1)the significance of lying to the FBI as a seperate and serious felony and (2) why didn't he just admit the Logan Act violations? The Logan Act is a relatively minor law and frankly I can't imagine a successful prosecution of an incoming President's upper level staff for talking to foreign governments after the election and a few weeks before inauguration. Without the Logan Act that would be considered due diligence.

The only rational reason I can think of why Flynn lied about the Logan Act violations is that he was instructed to conceal those contacts. I bet this subject (why he lied) was a topic in at least one interview and it would not surprise me in the least that he was instructed to do so-by His Donaldship.

Time will tell.

Reactions: hal2kilo

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
This is Mueller signaling to other people that it pays to cooperate. Anyone that isn't and is counting on a Trump pardon is a fool.

Unless he actually delivers one, which in the case of Manafort I rate at about 70% right now. Even if Trump is guilty of obstruction for issuing the pardon, I bet the pardon still stands.