Mueller is playing pokemon : gotta catch them all

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Breaking... Trump is ignoring advice of counsel and speaking with Mueller's witnesses about the investigation and their testimony. Witness tampering much?

link? i mean jesus, i thought trump was stupid, but not THAT stupid. the trump rule strikes again. At this point Mueller must think this is the easiest investigation in the world with all the stuff piling up in his lap.

edit: damn, ninja'd!

skull

Platinum Member
Jun 5, 2000
link? i mean jesus, i thought trump was stupid, but not THAT stupid. the trump rule strikes again. At this point Mueller must think this is the easiest investigation in the world with all the stuff piling up in his lap.

edit: damn, ninja'd!

Thirded I searched but only found this from yesterday which makes it sound like it didn't reach the level of witness tampering.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/07/us/politics/trump-witnesses-special-counsel-priebus-mcgahn.html

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
I’m sure trump was only concerned whether Mueller was nice to them, give me a break.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I'm starting to think that "Stupid Watergate" doesn't quite capture the truly deplorable and utter incompetence of the way Trump is stumbling through this mess.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
This shit has so much potential for highest level of treason of all time. Do we still have the death penalty for treason?

It actually isn't illegal for them to set up a diplomatic back channel, per se. Depends on what was being said. Of course, there's also the fact that they lied about it. They always lie about their contacts with Russians.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
It actually isn't illegal for them to set up a diplomatic back channel, per se. Depends on what was being said. Of course, there's also the fact that they lied about it. They always lie about their contacts with Russians.
I wonder why.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Because it perfectly legit for a transition team to set up a back channel with an adversary to avoid our own intelligence agencies. /s
Does the reason matter, or is it definitely illegal either way to talk to an adversary without using the usual channels?

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Reactions: ch33zw1z

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Does the reason matter, or is it definitely illegal either way to talk to an adversary without using the usual channels?
Like woolfe said. Would you trust someone who built a meth kitchen but claimed "I won't cook meth". Building it alone probably isn't illegal.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Like woolfe said. Would you trust someone who built a meth kitchen but claimed "I won't cook meth". Building it alone probably isn't illegal.
Lol, of course I wouldn't put my trust into any of those people.
However, I am genuinely asking if what they did is illegal. If it isn't, this is another of the many unethical, but unactionable events.

deathBOB

Dec 2, 2007
However, I am genuinely asking if what they did is illegal. If it isn't, this is another of the many unethical, but unactionable events.

The act itself may or may not be, but it could be illegal in the sense that its part of a conspiracy charge.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Setting it up no. However, Jared did meet with a Russian banker who was on the sanction list. Jared also left meeting off his disclosure forms (upteenth time).

I would characterize it like this, it isn't illegal for POTUS to give away top secret intel to the Russians like Trump did in the Oval Office. However that action can be found to be treasonous.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

If the back channel was established to undermine the official policy of the US, which at the time comes through the Obama admin and is pro-sanctions, then yes, it is certainly illegal. The president-elect has no authority to act on behalf of the US, and I do believe that acting in counter to US policy is illegal. If the Trump transition team was specifically discussing ending sanctions during this time and through this back channel, then I believe that is illegal.

But I doubt anything will be done about it. Reagan tested those waters already when he went against Carter and negotiated with the Iranians when he had no authority to do so. GOP sure does love their treasonous rascals.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Thank you for the responses, so it may actually have been illegal. Well, I guess the ammunition is building up.