MSI Radeon R9 290X Lightning PCB pictured

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
No need to worry me thinks. Seems to be the norm.

The problem isn't one brand...it is aftermarket in general for Hawaii. When it was launched, a common recommendation was to wait for better cooling (for those who stay with air).

I just can't see buying a 28nm swansong flagship card in 2014 from either vendor......except possibly an X2 card.

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003
I agree we're a little late for the regular custom coolers but since the thread was about the Lightning I wasn't sure why OCGuy was up in arms looking for an investigation.

Because AMD, so it must be a scandal of some sort. 7970 Lightning took almost 4 months after 7970 release, 680 Lightning took almost 4 months, 780 Lightning took almost 4 months... where was the call for sites to dig in then?

Elfear

Diamond Member
May 30, 2004
The problem isn't one brand...it is aftermarket in general for Hawaii. When it was launched, a common recommendation was to wait for better cooling (for those who stay with air).

Hawaii is in need of a better cooler and I'm scratching my head trying to figure out why we haven't seen ANY non-reference SKUs. The uber coolers normally take awhile but we should have seen something before now.

I just can't see buying a 28nm swansong flagship card in 2014 from either vendor......except possibly an X2 card.
Not sure if I agree with you here. Flagship 20nm products are rumored to launch late in 2014. I'm not sure if enthusiasts will want to wait that long without buying something.

96Firebird

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 2010
Hawaii is in need of a better cooler and I'm scratching my head trying to figure out why we haven't seen ANY non-reference SKUs.

I got sick of waiting, but I was in the market for a 290 instead of the X. And by the looks of it I am glad I got my new card because I'd still be waiting, probably until next year.

I am also curious as to where the 780Ti aftermarket coolers (besides the ACX cooler) are... It looks like it has a similar reference PCB compared to the 780, so why the wait? This might be too off-topic though...

Z15CAM

Platinum Member
Nov 20, 2010
www.flickr.com
I've already experimented with the Arctic Accelero Xtreme III solution and it is a quiet solution for the every day user but for the anesthetists it a complete wipe out as the VRM Temps go through the roof with any descent clocking.

How ever XZXP has come up with what appears to be an excellent design for a Water Block for the R9 290/X - I've bit their Bullet and ordered one for a single closed loop XSXP R9 290-X Razor/Koolance RP-985 5.25in Reservoir & Pump Combo plus s Black Ice GTS Stealth 280 Gen Two Stealth Dual 280MM Fan Radiato.r to fit in the front of my Fractal ARC Midi. A Corsair H110 sit in the top of the case to cool an i7 2700k.

It's expensive, $431.25 in total for that XSPC Razor WB solution but hopefully I will be apple to run +156mV-1300-1600 Mhz for hours on end keeping the GPU and VRM within a respectable Temps and limit Throttling.

Last edited:

SolMiester

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2004
I've already experimented with the Arctic Accelero Xtreme III solution and it is a quiet solution for the every day user but for the anesthetists it a complete wipe out as the VRM Temps go through the roof with any descent clocking.

How ever XZXP has come up with what appears to be an excellent design for a Water Block for the R9 290/X - I've bit their Bullet and ordered one for a single closed loop XSXP R9 290-X Razor/Koolance RP-985 5.25in Reservoir & Pump Combo plus s Black Ice GTS Stealth 280 Gen Two Stealth Dual 280MM Fan Radiato.r to fit in the front of my Fractal ARC Midi. A Corsair H110 sit in the top of the case to cool an i7 2700k.

It's expensive, $431.25 in total for that XSPC Razor WB solution but hopefully I will be apple to run +156mV-1300-1600 Mhz for hours on end keeping the GPU and VRM within a respectable Temps and limit Throttling.

Was that $431 including the CPU block and loop?

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
I got sick of waiting, but I was in the market for a 290 instead of the X. And by the looks of it I am glad I got my new card because I'd still be waiting, probably until next year.

I am also curious as to where the 780Ti aftermarket coolers (besides the ACX cooler) are... It looks like it has a similar reference PCB compared to the 780, so why the wait? This might be too off-topic though...

They were launched, but basically hen's teeth for now.

http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-GTX78...ef=pd_sxp_f_pt

Last edited:

Elfear

Diamond Member
May 30, 2004

It does seem rather odd that we have no custom coolers from either camp's recent launches (except for the aforementioned hen's teeth). I got tired of waiting and grabbed a pair of reference 290s. I was going to hold out for the custom PCBs but the recent profitability of LTC mining got my attention.

Slomo4shO

Nov 17, 2008
I got sick of waiting

Same here. So I just picked up 4 Sapphire BF edition 290s and ordered a complete loop. Ironically, the water blocks are on back-order and won't be in stock until the end of the month. D:

357fe339_GPUz.jpeg

Last edited: