MSI R9 290 showing wrong stats

bmadd89

Sep 22, 2010
Hello

I was having some problems with my system and stubbled upon an interesting situation. I originally purchased an R9 290 at launch and add another one late last year. The 2nd card I purchased was this.

The problem isn't why I'm bring this up but I do think they're related. The thing is that from all the information my system can tell me, I never got a R9 290 like the box says.

I did notice that AIDA has the MSI card having 3072 Shaders but GPU-Z has it has having 2816. According to TPU, 290 should have 2560 shaders and 160 TMU's and the 290x should have 2816 shaders and 176 TMU's

MSI's own Gaming App won't run on my system, saying "The platform does not support this application". I've tried a few different things but can't get it working.

My end goal is to possibly warranty the card and get one that is spec'ed like a R9 290 but want to be sure before I go through the process. I can get charged a $85 fee if it gets knocked back as a warranty claim.

Thanks folks.

Last edited:

MTDEW

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
Im surprised nobody has answered this yet.
Your GPUs are fine.
The R9 290 showing 2816 shaders is a known bug that occurs sometimes in GPU-z when using more than one GPU in x-fire with ULPS enabled. (ie: one of the GPUs specs are read incorrectly when it's in a lower power state)

If you want to test to be sure, disable ULPS ,then check to verify.
Of course I'd re-enable ULPS when done, no need to waste power when it's not needed.

Last edited:

bmadd89

Sep 22, 2010
Thanks MTDEW, that was right on the money. Disabled ULPS, refreshed GPUZ/AIDA and they are both accurate as R9 290.

I'm surprised i couldn't find that info when i was doing a search for it. Thanks again.