Question msi pro z690-p ddr4 bios malfunction

psolord

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2009
Hey all.

I recently got a msi pro z690-p ddr4. Entering the bios, selecting advanced options and trying to do anything, after a few seconds, it changes the language to Chinese (i think) by itself. The mouse movement becomes jerky, there are graphics that are not refreshing properly and appear only when hovering the mouse over and ultimately, even if I go to lets say the boot menu and select it, the bios freezes and that's it! I have to power cycle.

This has been happening with the shipped A0 bios version but I have also tried the A4 and A51 versions and nothing changed. I also did a 10sec clearCMOS to no avail.

I have made a video to illustrate it better.

The fun part is that other than that, the system works fine. I mean I used my rescue usb stick to convert my old ssd to gpt, since I could not disable secure boot in the bios, I then cloned it to my brand new gen4 Gigabyte 7000 nvme and the old OS works fine. Games play fine, etc. I could even set the xmp profile of my ram, since thankfully this can be done without the advanced settings. However since I cannot change boot options, I had to remove the old ssd in order to force the system to boot from the nvme.

My question is, are all these just BIOS problems that will be fixed (it's been six months since this mobo launched ffs) or did I win the lottery again and got a mobo with super weird problems, that needs to be rmad?

thanks.

psolord

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2009
Got it from a local Greek store.

Well I downloaded the latest bios from MSI's global site. Shouldn't it be ok to work anywhere?

Jul 27, 2020
I don't know. Maybe they are skimping on the quality of some mobo components for mobos selling in their local market. Give the BIOS update a try. If that doesn't fix it, that weirdness in the video is a valid reason to return it.

Reactions: psolord

psolord

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2009
I posted the same thread on MSI forums and a good lad asked if I was using a TV! "What an idiot" I thought. What does the TV have anything to do with the FREAKING BIOS.

Still I got curious. Why did this guy was so instantly specific, asking me if I am using a TV? So one and two, I go upstairs to test on my other TV, being sure that the motherboard was broken. After all I am around PCs since the Amstrad 1512. PCs had batteries under the monitor back then lad. Don't tell me that a stupid TV can cause the bios to replace English strings with Chinese ones and then freeze! I was not born yesterday, OK?

And then I boot up the freakin system on the other TV and the bios is working fine! NO F WAY! NO, NO, nope, I mean wtf?

Oh man I thought I had seen everything, I swear to god. It's like that joke, where this guy visited the doctor and the doctor asked what wrong? And the patient says doc I hurt all over, see here....ouch and here....ouch and here....ouch and there....ouch. And the doctor says, yeah you have a broken finger! Aaaargghhh, I checked everything man, not the stupid TV, noooooo.

God bless that guys soul. May he cut minutes from me and give him good years (not tires). lol

Thanks Igor for your will to help.

Jul 27, 2020
Oh man! That's hilarious!!!!! :D

Seriously, thank the lad. He taught you something new. Better get his side of the story about how he knew the fix and maybe ask him about some other cool troubleshooting stuff/anecdotes. Maybe he owns a repair business or is a PC repair technician.

psolord

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2009
Ooh, the things we learn each day.

Which video card and which 2 models of TV?

The video card is a new proper and straight Gigabyte 3060ti Gaming OC model.

The TVs are of the same make, they are local TurboX branded from a local big retailer in Greece. I think they are made from Vestel like myriad other TVs, that are then branded locally from big retailers.

The old one, the one causing the problem, is now 12 years old. It has worked admirably all these years, having cooperated witn WD HD TV Live, three Android mini PCs, a refurbished Dell with on board graphics, a Radeon 7950, a GTX 970, a GTX 1070 and now with the 3060ti. Other than the stupid bios, I never had a *serious* problem with it. And still runs like a champ despite all its years of operation. But now THIS had to happen, lol!

I mean I can only imagine God watching me ten years ago, buying this TV for the summer house, and thinking "Lol look what will happen to this idiot after 12 years, lets see him figure this one out" xD. This explains perfectly however, what has happened with all the women in my life! *sigh*

Reactions: curryloti

psolord

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2009
Well, if you want a good laugh, I connected my Elgato HD60 between the TV and the PC and now the BIOS works fine, since the system is actually talking to the Elgato.

Here's a quick recording I did with it, that shows the bios working fine. Go figure.