*** MSI P6N SLI Platinum OVERCLOCK 650i ***

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ProsperoLT

Jan 24, 2005
*** disclaimer, this was done on air on SLI-FI version, not the platinum version ***

CPU : Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 (*1)
CPU PSN : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6600 @ 2.40GHz
Core : Conroe (65 nm) / Revision : B2
CPUID : 6.F.6 / Extended : 6.F
Freq : 3599.93 MHz (399.99 * 9) = 3.6Ghz = 66% OVERCLOCK
RAM Size : 2048 MB
RAM Freq : 400 MHz
RAM Type : DDR2-SDRAM Dual Channel
RAM Ratio : 1:1
RAM Timings : 5-5-5-15

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=192647

Temperatures:
idle - 40-43'C
load - was not stable for orthos, did boot to windows to verify cpu-z

CPU Feature:
# Execute Bit - Enabled
# C1E - Disabled (F4)

Chipset Feature:
# HPET - Enabled

Cell Menu:
# D.O.T Control - Disabled
# EIST - Disabled
# Spread Spectrum Settings - (all disabled)
# System Clock Mode - Manual
# FSB Clock: 1600mhz
# Mem Clock: 800mhz
# CPU multiplier: 9

# CPU voltage 1.45v (+.175)
# NB voltage 1.45v
# SB voltage 1.5v stock
# FSB VTT 4%
# memory voltage 2.3v

Antec P180B Black Advanced ATX Mid Tower Case (Model#: P180B)
Enermax Liberty 500 Watt Black (ELT500AWT) Power Supply (Model#: ELT500AWT-00)
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz 4M Cache LGA775 Processor (Model#: BX80557E6600)
Artic Cooling Freezer Pro 7
OCZ 2GB DDR2 PC2-8500 SLI-Ready Edition Dual Channel Memory (Model#: OCZ2N1066SR2GK)
MSI P6N SLI-FI nForce 650i SLI ATX LGA775 Motherboard (Model#: MS-7350-010) (stock cooling)
EVGA GeForce 8800GTS 320MB PCIe x16 w/ HDCP Video Card (stock cooling)

Image of boot into windows @ 3.6Ghz:
http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/9933/3600idleby5.th.jpg

Image of boot w/ orthos stable @ 3.4Ghz:
http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/6076/3400orthossv2.jpg

Currently running lax voltages @ 3.15Ghz: (40'C idle - 55'C load)
http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=192624
i think NB is down to 1.4v and CPU is down to 1.4 as well.

This was all done with STOCK cooling on the MSI P6N SLI-FI motherboard (not plat.) with only mod being Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro 7 cpu HSF

This is purely a CPU overclock, I didn't even get to the memory yet.

Basilisk

Sep 15, 2000
Originally posted by: yacoubI wish I knew more about the backmounted items that are preventing folks from mounting aftermarket HSFs on this board. I like everything else about the board but this could be a dealbreaker for me as I must be able to mount a good aftermarket hsf on it and I do not own a dremel or similar tool to mess around with making things fit...
My P6N-Platypus arrived today. Fetched the Dremel and laid the CNPS7700 backing plate alongside the back-side cap's to see what I should remove. @#$%^&* -- that was all it took to knock the cap loose, just a little side pressure from the Zalman backing plate! SNARL... after 30 minutes looking, 'found the light-weight soldering iron and reattached the cap'... and said THW the Dremel -- just melted-away the backing plate with the soldering iron so it fit. No big challenge... if the cap isn't knocked loose while examining it! No magic to it: a drill, a utility knife, or any of a number of tools can make room for the row of chips.

Alas, the system didn't POST or even spin the fans ('tho' the LED indicated power was supplied to the board): 'Presume the 6420 hadn't seated properly, but I'd run out of time to play. 'Never had a failure to POST on a new m/b before (unless VGA card wasn't properly inserted), but it's been a decade+ since I've bought Intel and maybe BGA sux.

Again, those back-side ships are no big deal but must be dealt with. G'luck!

Edit: Good grief... the Power-On switch isn't working on the case -- have to short the header with a screwdriver to POST. Could be worse...;

Elias824

Golden Member
Mar 13, 2007
There is a V1.2 bios out you can get from the live update. Has anyone else tried it?
seems like everyone with ninja coolers is running alot colder then I am. at 2.8ghz I was hitting 52c
ill probably remount my hsf. Another thing I think my cmos batter is dead because if I leave my motherboad unpluged for
more then 10-20min then all my bios options reset which makes it a pain for ocing

iluv2fly

Feb 15, 2005
I used the live update option and flashed my bios to version 1.2

It works good. It gave me more options in the bios. I have not tried to push my overclock any further yet so I don't know if it had an effect on performance.

iluv2fly

Feb 15, 2005
Originally posted by: Elias824
There is a V1.2 bios out you can get from the live update. Has anyone else tried it?
seems like everyone with ninja coolers is running alot colder then I am. at 2.8ghz I was hitting 52c
ill probably remount my hsf. Another thing I think my cmos batter is dead because if I leave my motherboad unpluged for
more then 10-20min then all my bios options reset which makes it a pain for ocing

Regarding the issue with you battery. I bought a MB last year and that one would draw power from the battery all the time and eventually drain it. So when I swapped out the battery it worked for about a month and then it was empty again. I RMAd the board and the new one was fine.

Unfortunately you might have the same problem, since your MB is new you should not run in to that problem for a few years at least.

iluv2fly

Feb 15, 2005
Originally posted by: Basilisk
Originally posted by: yacoubI wish I knew more about the backmounted items that are preventing folks from mounting aftermarket HSFs on this board. I like everything else about the board but this could be a dealbreaker for me as I must be able to mount a good aftermarket hsf on it and I do not own a dremel or similar tool to mess around with making things fit...
My P6N-Platypus arrived today. Fetched the Dremel and laid the CNPS7700 backing plate alongside the back-side cap's to see what I should remove. @#$%^&* -- that was all it took to knock the cap loose, just a little side pressure from the Zalman backing plate! SNARL... after 30 minutes looking, 'found the light-weight soldering iron and reattached the cap'... and said THW the Dremel -- just melted-away the backing plate with the soldering iron so it fit. No big challenge... if the cap isn't knocked loose while examining it! No magic to it: a drill, a utility knife, or any of a number of tools can make room for the row of chips.

Alas, the system didn't POST or even spin the fans ('tho' the LED indicated power was supplied to the board): 'Presume the 6420 hadn't seated properly, but I'd run out of time to play. 'Never had a failure to POST on a new m/b before (unless VGA card wasn't properly inserted), but it's been a decade+ since I've bought Intel and maybe BGA sux.

Again, those back-side ships are no big deal but must be dealt with. G'luck!

Edit: Good grief... the Power-On switch isn't working on the case -- have to short the header with a screwdriver to POST. Could be worse...;

That's funny I'm glad you solved the problem :)

zadeluca

May 15, 2007
hey guys, i was hoping someone can shed some light on my situation...

I have the MSI P6N SLI Platinum with BIOS version 1.2 and E4300 processor. I have the stock heatsink/fan, and my goal is a reasonable 3GHz (333x9).

I disabled all of those CPU, Chipset, and Spread Spectrum settings as outlined in this thread. I am able to get 1333FSB by dropping the multiplier to 6 and upping the Northbridge to 1.35v; Orthos stable for over 4 hours. Using that as a starting point, I CANNOT get the multiplier up any higher, even if I up the Vcore to 1.45v; 7,8,9 do not work.

This does not make sense to me. 333x7=2.33GHz does not post....BUT I currently have the system running at 266x9=2.4GHz with ALL voltages at stock.

I'm confused...any ideas?

Edge1

Feb 17, 2007
Man, that's interesting. I was under the impression that the E4300 had a locked multi that couldn't be adjusted. Here's a portion form X-Bit labs - don't know if it helps at all:

"Trying to find the top FSB frequency for the Core 2 Duo E4300 on the MSI P6N SLI Platinum we wanted to lower its frequency multiplier to 7x, for example. But we couldn?t! Although there is an option for changing the multiplier in BIOS Setup, and the value does change, nothing really happens. The CPU starts up with its default multiplier irrespective of that setting. So, it turns out the MSI P6N SLI Platinum cannot lower the frequency multiplier of CPUs other than the Core 2 Extreme X6800 which has an unlocked multiplier."

The whole article:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mainboards/display/msi-p6nsli-platinum_10.html

Good luck.

zadeluca

May 15, 2007
Yes... i know you need to disable EIST to adjust the multiplier because otherwise it will adjust it for you. With EIST disabled it boots with a 6 multiplier and even identifies that way in CPUZ.

I know you are supposed to OC in increments, but I just tried to jump from 1066 to 1333 given the nature of this board/cpu and thought it would handle it. That shouldnt be a problem right? I was able to POST and boot at 1200FSB on ALL stock voltages but it was not Orthos stable for more than 2 minutes. I think some minor voltage adjustments will fix that at 1200....and maybe it will go higher after I let it run at 1200 for a while idk

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
There is now a bios v1.32 floating around somewhere. I'm running 1.31 and so far so good however the new bios is supposed to address pci-e controller card issues like the one I had with my adaptec 4 port sata that wouldn't work.

Edge1

Feb 17, 2007
Originally posted by: zadeluca
Yes... i know you need to disable EIST to adjust the multiplier because otherwise it will adjust it for you. With EIST disabled it boots with a 6 multiplier and even identifies that way in CPUZ.

I know you are supposed to OC in increments, but I just tried to jump from 1066 to 1333 given the nature of this board/cpu and thought it would handle it. That shouldnt be a problem right? I was able to POST and boot at 1200FSB on ALL stock voltages but it was not Orthos stable for more than 2 minutes. I think some minor voltage adjustments will fix that at 1200....and maybe it will go higher after I let it run at 1200 for a while idk

So even when you hit F4 to unhide the C1E option, and disabled C1E, CPU-Z still sees a 6x multi? Wacky. Any E4300 owners care to chip in?

zadeluca

May 15, 2007
Originally posted by: Puffnstuff
There is now a bios v1.32 floating around somewhere. I'm running 1.31 and so far so good however the new bios is supposed to address pci-e controller card issues like the one I had with my adaptec 4 port sata that wouldn't work.

1.3x?? The MSI Global site only lists up to 1.2...is there another source to download from?

Using these settings: Vcore 1.4, Northbridge 1.4, FSB VTT 4%

I was able to achieve 1244 FSB (311x9=2.8GHz) what was stable in dual Orthos for 10 minutes when I shut it down. Speedfan reported the temp to be 57 degrees and I got nervous...should I be worried? I haven't tried any higher yet...but Im thinking of getting an after market heatsink, or at least some arctic silver...

zadeluca

May 15, 2007
question about Intel TAT vs. SpeedFan....SpeedFan reports my current idle temps to be 17/24 while TAT reports 33/40.

First, why is TAT reporting 16 degrees higher?

Second, should there be a 7 degree differential between cores?

Sorry for taking this thread way off-topic...but I was hoping someone here might know

raerae1616

May 16, 2007
Originally posted by: yacoub
thanks, bookmarking this thread as I'm looking closely at this board :)

This is what I'm considering currently:

Items

Any recommended changes regarding the RAM I have selected there? Any reason why it wouldn't run 1T timing? I would like to avoid 2T if at all possible. Are you all running 2T?

My goal is to hit 3.0GHz with the E4400, which with its 10x multiplier means a 300MHz fsb (or downing the multiplier to 9x and pushing 333MHz fsb for a bit more bus speed).
Will that RAM do those speeds without issue at fast timings?

Also for air cooling, will a Thermalright Ultra 120 clear fit on this board?

I searched for days and wasn't able to find any definitive info. on whether the Thermalright Ultra 120 series heatsinks will fit. However, I ordered one anyway and can now confirm that it does in fact fit with out any issues. Per AnandTechs review of the Ultra 120 extreme, I ordered one: Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme Heatsink with Scythe S-Flex 1600 RPM fan.

It fits fine and the re-desigend mounting mechanism posed no issues mouting to the MSI P6N Platinum Motherobard. Though it is a tight squeeze, it even fits with the MSI chipset fan (over the Northbridge); I highly recommend installing the chipset fan prior to mounting the Heatsink as it's a bit of a pain to do it after the motherboard is instalelled, though possible since it wasn't until after I had everything mounted that I even realized it came with a chipset fan.

So for anyone out there looking at a similar setup . . . the Thermalright Ultra 120 extreme (and I assume the Ultra 120 also) fits perfectly, just as described in the Anandtech reviews (ie. there is some rotational movement of the Heatsink once mounted).

I'll post some pictures when I get around to it . . .

WT

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2000
Anyone looking to buy this board, here ya go:

ZZf = $135

Figures .... a week after I buy it for $147 it drops at another vendor ..... *sigh*

Edge1

Feb 17, 2007
That is a great deal, WT - one that I wasn't expecting but took advantage of for my kids' box (and a backup for me). I'm generally a Newegg guy, but not today. Like the cooling/features of the Platinum, but the SLI-FI is certainly great as well. Just couldn't resist that price. Free shipping on all their products really put it over the top. Hope its a good one.

Figures .... a week after I buy it for $147 it drops at another vendor ..... *sigh*

I feel the same way about my RAM:p.

iluv2fly

Feb 15, 2005
raerae1616 ,,,,, What kind of temperatures are you getting with your Thermalright Ultra 120 extreme ?

Elias824

Golden Member
Mar 13, 2007
ok new stable overclock

fsb clock:1722
memory 800mhz 3-3-3-12 1t
cpu voltage: .125
mem voltage 2.2
NBv: 1.45
SBv: 1.6
fsb vtt v:8%

VoteQuimby

Jan 27, 2005
Hey everyone. I'm new to this overclocking stuff but I'm hoping to OC my E6300 on P6N SLI Platinum. I should also mention I'm using G.Skill 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2 800 4-4-4-12 @2.0v - 2.1v as my RAM. For now I'm planning on using the stock H/SFan with Artic Silver to cool the CPU. With this setup how high should I be able to push my OC?

I hope to have time to play around with my settings this weekend and I'll post back with my results.

Elias824

Golden Member
Mar 13, 2007
what kind of case do you have? how many fans? your bigest problem will probably be cooling, maybe 2.6-2.8 just depending on how much you care about your temps.

Samyo

Jun 28, 2000
ok new stable overclock

mem voltage 2.2

I have almost the same setup as yours. The result is almost the same too.

Edge1

Feb 17, 2007
ok new stable overclock

mem voltage 2.2

Yep, that works for me. My Vcore is a tad lower at +.1 (1.4) and 8 hrs Orthos stable there. Are you guys using the NB fan? How does your NB feel? Mine's uncomfortably hot to touch after several seconds.

Side note - my kids P6N Platinum "budget build" with an E4300 is doing 3.0GHz with stock voltages and cooling:roll::laugh: Argh.

kuda

Oct 23, 2004
can anyone give some info on why my CPU mulitplier won't change? below are the settings

MSI p6n SLI-FI 650i SLI board
c2d e6600

BIOS SETTINGS:
CPU Feature
- execute bit support "enabled"
- set limit cpuid maxval to 3 "disabled"
- C1E support "disabled" (f4 to pull out this menu)

Chipset Feature
- HPET "enabled"

Cell Menu
- DOT control "disabled"
- Intel EIST "disabled"
- System clock mode "manual"
- FSB clock "1400"
- Memory clock "700"
- Adjust CPU Ration "8"
- CPU voltage "+0.1000"
- Memory Voltage "2.0" (patriot extremes rated at 2.0v 5.5.5.12 800mhz)
- NB voltage "1.4"
- SB voltage "1.5"
- FSB VTT Voltage "2%"

Spread Spectrum Config
- PCIE spread spectrum "disabled"
- CPU/LDT Spread Spectrum "disabled"
- SATA Spread Spectrum "disabled"

now when i boot CPUZ showd me running at 3150mhz with a 9x multiplier (9x350). now i changed it in bios to be 8x becuase i wanted to run at 8x375 yielding a modest 3.0ghz OC. in the bios at the top of the Cell menu it also shows me running at 3150mhz.

why isn't my CPU muliplier changing down to 8x even though i disabled C1E and EIST??

thanks for the help