MSI MB only boots OS if I save BIOS settings

rbk123

Aug 22, 2006
I have an MSI Bazooka B150M with a G4560 and something weird has recently started. When booting up, it hangs after the BIOS boot. The only way around this I've found is to go into the BIOS and save the settings - I don't have to make changes (but I can), I just have save the settings (whether changed or unchanged).

Here are all the things I've tried:
- loaded the latest BIOS version
- cleared CMOS by pulling the battery as well as shorting the jumper
- there are Win 8/10 and 7 options in the BIOS, and I've tried all the possible permutations between them with no luck
- used just 1 memory stick (tried each one by itself)
- reseated the graphics card
- reloaded the OS - the original was a Win7 upgrade to Win10, so I tried a full fresh Win10 install

I'm going to RMA the board as MSI have not heard of this issue from anyone else, but I thought I'd seek the wisdom here before packing it up. Any thoughts? It works fine in all other aspects including once it actually is in the OS.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
sounds like a dead CMOS battery

board isn't retaining settings, thus requiring you to enter BIOS and select boot order each time etc..

rbk123

Aug 22, 2006
The battery isn't dead as it does save the settings, I just don't need to change the settings and save in order to boot; I only need to make sure I do a save (whether with no changes or with changes).

i.e. I go into the BIOS and change nothing, but hit "save and exit" instead of "exit without saving" and it will boot. If I hit "exit without saving" it won't boot.

If I do make a change in the BIOS and save it, it will save the change. It's how I tried all the different Win 7/8/10 option setting permutations within the BIOS. But once I try a subsequent reboot, it will hang unless I go back into the BIOS and do another save.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
To my understanding, the CMOS battery is only in use when the system is powered off... because the board needs to have low voltage in order to retain the settings for when the PC is started again. If this wasn't the case, the motherboard would not function with a dead or removed CMOS battery at all, but they do.

I still feel like when you reboot, the settings are getting lost somehow (perhaps due to dying batt or super low voltage to the BIOS chip) and that's why you need enter the BIOS each time the computer starts or reboots. I see it happen all the time... just try another battery (CR2032). Any pharmacy will carry them.

Only other thing I can think of is maybe a jumper installed where it shouldn't be...

rbk123

Aug 22, 2006
Thanks, I'll give the battery swap a shot as I'm sure I have one lying around, but keep in mind no settings are being lost. I can always go into BIOS (that never gets stuck) and when I do the settings are always correct and what they last were.
Then, I don't even change the settings, I just save the already existing ones and it will boot.

Some chip flaking out seems logical based on lack of other responses this hasn't happened before to anyone else making me think hardware vs. software.

kirbyrj

Aug 5, 2017
I haven't had any issues like that with the 2 or 3 MSI LGA1151 boards I've used. If the battery doesn't work, it's likely a bad board.

rbk123

Aug 22, 2006
Sooo..... I have an update for this thread. I RMA'd the motherboard and installed the replacement yesterday.

Same thing.

Then I started disconnecting the other 2 SATA devices to have just the OS drive, and trying different SATA ports on the MB with it. Same thing.
I was going to pull the PCIe GPU (Radeon) and try the MB's GPU, but first I tried connecting to the MB's DVI port with the Radeon still installed. No display at all.

Well... I was using a VGA cable but with a VGA to DVI adapter, so before pulling the Radeon I thought I'd just try a pure DVI to DVI cable. And... we have bush. That worked and fixed the problem.

Apparently either the Win10 drivers or Win10 itself doesn't like the VGA to DVI adapter, but Win7 or the Win7 Radeon drivers are fine with it.

ASK THE COMMUNITY