MSI LIGHTING 5870 LISTED - are you sitting?

Hauk

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2001
Newegg's got em, and they're damn proud obviously..

lighting.jpg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-482-_-Product

WTF are you smokin Newegg? Sad. No need to mention that they're a retailer and can charge what they want. I get that. Still..

Dark4ng3l

Diamond Member
Sep 17, 2000
Well I have a Hawk and it was well worth the price. If I had money i'd consider one of those. It probably overclocks like a champ.

Hauk

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2001
It's a beautiful card, but I'd be hard pressed to find a vanilla 5870 I couldn't take to 950+ in five minutes..

Hauk

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2001
Not happy to read this stuff..

"After I removed the cooler to take the photos, I wanted to go back to some more overclocking using additional voltage. I was shocked to see my temperatures up by ~25°C. After reassembling the cooler several times, and getting largely the same result, I took a closer look (added a sheet of paper to better illustrate the problem).

fail_small.jpg

It seems that the mounting system of the cooler is not designed properly to apply enough pressure between GPU and heatsink. In the factory, a large chunk of thermal paste is applied, probably with some extra pressure, that hardens out and leaves good contact. With my own thermal paste I used a thin layer, probably too thin. Using more paste resulted in bad temperatures too, because the layer is too thick. Another sign that the contact is too weak is that you can rock the cooler back and forth by applying pressure to different sides of the cooler, which affects contact."

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/R5870_HD_5870_Lightning/32.html

alyarb

Platinum Member
Jan 25, 2009
too bad. this overpriced card would be soooooooo tempting if it weren't for the MSI craftmanship i've come to know. lol@ schmide

Last edited:

MarcVenice

Moderator Emeritus <br>
Apr 2, 2007
too bad. this overpriced card would be soooooooo tempting if it weren't for the MSI craftmanship i've come to know. lol@ schmide

Hrm, I've a Lightning in the office and I'll definately keep my eyes out for this.

The craftmanship you mention though, allows overclocks of 1100MHz and higher on air.

The Milkman

Dec 13, 2009
Hrm, I've a Lightning in the office and I'll definately keep my eyes out for this.

The craftmanship you mention though, allows overclocks of 1100MHz and higher on air.

I would say it's a good design that allows a good OC despite crappy craftmanship.

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
Last edited:

Daedalus685

Golden Member
Nov 12, 2009
This smells so much like the kind of card that may as well come with a "Packaged in protective heat sink during shipping, remove before water cooling" sticker...

Though they really should have gone the extra step (that is gotten to the start line) to tension the springs correctly...

But for a $100 price premium I'm really shocked it doesn't have 2gb on it..