Msi just drop the bomb! (dead)

raclimja

Jul 1, 2010
if you are using a z68/p67,etc.. MSI motherboard that use Sandy Bridge cpu, DO NOT

I REPEAT

DO NOT UPGRADE TO LATEST BIOS THAT SUPPORTS IVY BRIDGE

IT WOULD BRICK YOUR BOARD WITH NO HOPE OF RECOVERING!!!
(only way to plausibly fix is to put Ivy bridge CPU or rma it)

i along with other people are now fcked and msi is not doing anything to fix the issue!!!

http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=159249.0

http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=158670.0

http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=158629.0

the said BIOS are still up on MSI Download page and i advise anyone from upgrading to it

msi is also starting to delete threads and give warning/ban to people who raise those issues on their forum

this is unacceptable

bononos

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2011
'Recommend' is a very weak warning for a procedure that would brick the mb without an Ivy during the flash. And he said he didn't update his mb with ME7->ME8 which looks like some all-in-one update but with the bios only n70->p1.

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
yeah what if youre trying to flash before you upgrade your cpu- as everyone always has done before?

i dont see a problem with the bolded caps. this sounds serious, especially for people who dont have much money.

Binky

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
People who make accounts just to rant don't deserve the benefit of the doubt.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
'Recommend' is a very weak warning for a procedure that would brick the mb without an Ivy during the flash. And he said he didn't update his mb with ME7->ME8 which looks like some all-in-one update but with the bios only n70->p1.

Recommend may be weak to you, but when the rest of the statement plainly says only to use this BIOS flash ONLY if you're using an IB cpu, I'd like to think that's pretty darned explicit.

MSI recommend you to update BIOS with ME8 only if you are using IvyBridge 22nm CPU.

Rio Rebel

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Ridiculous. 80% of the time a warning like this is just a disclaimer. Should have been much more explicit.

XenIneX

Apr 21, 2012
Bricking the motherboard is never an acceptable failure mode. If that's what's going to happen, the update should not be available via the normal distribution channel; it should be on it's own page with a massive warning and disclaimer page at the very least. And if they can't figure out an update process which checks the hardware for compatibility, I'd argue that they probably shouldn't offer it at all.

jacktesterson

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
People who make accounts just to rant don't deserve the benefit of the doubt.

Why are you being so douchie?

I've read about this a lot today. Its not funny.

"Recommended" is a pretty weak ass word for the issues that are happening.

Is it that hard to say, "Do not upgrade if your using Sandy Bridge?"

Why people here defend the dumbest things sometimes puzzles me.

I'm running 2 MSI boards currently and this concerns me as I use MSI Live update to keep my bios always up to date. From the sounds of things, this bios was available in this tool for EVERYONE for a while by MSI... and Live update gives 0 warning.

Edit: I missed the `only` part, but still weak on MSI`s part.

Personal attacks (calling people names) and foul language are not permitted in the technical forums. -Admin DrPizza

Last edited by a moderator:

bononos

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2011
Bricking the motherboard is never an acceptable failure mode. If that's what's going to happen, the update should not be available via the normal distribution channel; it should be on it's own page with a massive warning and disclaimer page at the very least. And if they can't figure out an update process which checks the hardware for compatibility, I'd argue that they probably shouldn't offer it at all.

Exactly, as it is now the OP and others (if I have read the OP correctly) cannot even reflash the old bios using a DOS thumb drive and it needs to be reprogrammed by a technician or something.

Binky

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Why are you being so douchie?
The word is douche. And I'm being a douchie (your word) because I'm not fond of people making accounts on more than one forum to bitch about a product that failed, possibly because of their own stupid fault. Things die, especially if you're an idiot. No biggie. You don't need to cry about it on multiple forums, trying to ruin a company.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1264587/msi-just-drop-the-bomb-dead

http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=159249.0

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1038789859

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...77jcCw&usg=AFQjCNEJBLCzhXLayw8ePjaZdTbJzHmyhQ

I see a douche here, and it's not me, and it's not necessarily you.

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
I have an MSI motherboard. No Issues but their "applications" that come with it just plain suck. And menus and messages (english) are full of mistakes and at times barley understandable. If a guy with similar english "skills" wrote that sentence he probably mistranslated to "recommended" instead if something more specific.

Recommend for me is more like: If you do this, we won't support you. Out of warranty, etc...but not that it won't work.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
I have an MSI motherboard. No Issues but their "applications" that come with it just plain suck. And menus and messages (english) are full of mistakes and at times barley understandable. If a guy with similar english "skills" wrote that sentence he probably mistranslated to "recommended" instead if something more specific.

Recommend for me is more like: If you do this, we won't support you. Out of warranty, etc...but not that it won't work.

Well, it is MSI....what'd you expect?

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
"Recommended" is certainly a weak warning. Should have simply said "Do not install unless you have an IB..."

T_Yamamoto

Lifer
Jul 6, 2011
OP just mad

People don't read the whole instruction. Just like in school. (Teacher gives out extra credit if you do something special that's in the instructions like putting a star in the corner or whatever)

Rio Rebel

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
OP just mad

People don't read the whole instruction. Just like in school. (Teacher gives out extra credit if you do something special that's in the instructions like putting a star in the corner or whatever)

If you refrain from using anything other than what is "recommended", you probably don't own any software other than what came installed on your computer, you are afraid to leave the house, and you still have all the Do Not Remove tags on your mattresses.

mnguyen84

Nov 2, 2003
www.heatware.com
1. douchie
Variant of douche bag and douche. Douchie is used in an affectionate manner to describe a person who commits acts of douche baggery but is nevertheless forgiven and loved for who he or she is. A douchie is typically appreciated whereas a douche is not.

2. douchie
Like douche bag but to the next level, something completely and utterly retarded and pointless. Offen used as an insult or to say that you do not

urbandictionary.com

The word is douche. And I'm being a douchie (your word)

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
IMO:

1. BIOS updates that brick boards should not be classed as 'release' standard.

2. If the OP's intention was to inform the community, he picked a damn silly thread title.

Pneumothorax

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2002
IMO:

1. BIOS updates that brick boards should not be classed as 'release' standard.

2. If the OP's intention was to inform the community, he picked a damn silly thread title.

AFAIK only MSI's bios has been doing this. I've got several Asus/Gigabyte Z68 mobos all upgraded to their IB compatible bios updates still running fine with their SB chips. Piss poor programming MSI.

Gs dewd

Dec 22, 2011
My question is will the IB chip run in the board before the bios update? If not then how are you suppose to update the bios if it bricks during the update with a chip that will run in it?

I also have my issues with Msi boards that have yet to be resolved. As in and I will be very brief as to not wander from the topic to much. I have 3 Msi amd boards. All three will not allow Windows vista Ultimate to install. Blue screens right after the initial boot screen from disc. It is not a disc or other hardware issue besides the board. I have tried all the hardware and disc on my Gigabyte and Asus boards and it installs just fine. There is some problems with Msi here lately.

Diogenes2

Platinum Member
Jul 26, 2001
Someone borks a working MOBO, then blames someone else...

I would never flash a BIOS unless I'm having a problem, and the BIOS update actually addresses the problem I'm having.

If it's working, don't fix it..

Madmick

Apr 7, 2012
Man, and I had been considering MSI after hearing great things about their Z77 boards, especially considering their features in relation to their prices. Rank amateur moves like this are what steers me away from a brand altogether. Won't be purchasing an MSI board, now. Xenintex is right. If a freaking update can potentially brick your hardware, then it needs to have a unique channel and massive flashing disclaimers. It should be louder than the font in the OP.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Someone borks a working MOBO, then blames someone else...

This comment makes sense if the OP was hacking together their own BIOS update and it didn't work. Otherwise, absolutely not.

I would never flash a BIOS unless I'm having a problem, and the BIOS update actually addresses the problem I'm having.

If it's working, don't fix it..
I generally don't update the BIOS either unless I think it might help - BIOS update explanations can be very helpful sometimes, for example, "increases system reliability", so who knows what they're supposed to fix.

A lot of people go with the strategy of updating the BIOS immediately after building the PC to avoid teething issues as well.

I remember Acer having BIOS updates for laptops available to download on their website, with no explanation whatsoever of what they do and a disclaimer that they're not responsible if it bricks your hardware. That is a clear suggestion to me to find a different manufacturer. BIOS updates are designed to fix post-release issues and are designed for public consumption.

It would be like Microsoft releasing IE10, finds that it bricks some computers, and their response is "well, you didn't have to install it <shrugs>".

Last edited:

Diogenes2

Platinum Member
Jul 26, 2001
It would be like Microsoft releasing IE10, finds that it bricks some computers, and their response is "well, you didn't have to install it <shrugs>".
I agree it would be the same, and I would not be in any hurry, if ever, to install Ie10 If 9 or an earlier version was getting the job done for me...

nenforcer

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2008

Well the difference is typically software can be easily uinstalled and generally isn't going to cause data corruption and brick your hard drive or require you to reinstall windows, for instance.

A corrupted BIOS is a total PITA since it usually requires you to remove PLC chip and replace with a functioning one, a costly and timely expense in which you suffer downtime.

Having said that my sister is still running a decade old MSI K7N420 Pro so I can attest to the quality of MSI products.

I learned the hard way a long time ago, as the OP has just experienced, to don't try and fix something if it ain't broken.