Question MSI Armor Radeon RX 570 & AMD A4 6300 CPU performance

cyphercat

Feb 17, 2020
I've seen videos of people specifically playing the games Bioshock Remastered and Hard Reset at 100+ fps and 70+ fps, respectively. On my system the FPS drop below 40 at the same points in the games as the people playing on YouTube.
Given that they had the same hardware as I had (CPU, Ram, and Video Card wise), what could be the reason I'm getting such different results? The motherboards were probably different but I can't imagine how the motherboard could make that big a difference (pardon my ignorance).
Anyway, thanks for all the help!

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Is it a consistent 40fps, or is it only at certain points? BioShock dynamically loads levels, and if you have a slow drive, it can certainly drop frames during that time period.

What resolution are you running the game at? And have you gone through the settings to verify that is all ok? And this of course assumes you are running the latest drivers.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
To be brutally honest, under any reasonable measure, that is a pretty rough spot to be in CPU wise. It was basically at the entry level for that APU series more than a few years ago now. The good news is that upgrades are there for you that would give you a lift you could feel. Dual cores, especially ones with marginal single thread performance, are best left in the past or for light duty use cases.

The A4 6300 is a dual-core 3.7/3.9Ghz with 1MB (!!!!) of cache, on Richland core, FM2 socket. Has DDR3 1600 support, and is 32nm from 2013.

There are A10 8750B Pro available on eBay for under $50. That gives you double the cores and cache, DDR3-2133 memory controller (will still work with slower, but give you the option for OC or faster ram types), Godavari core from 2015, called "FM2+" platform.

You'd have to check if your Mobo and bios support such an option before going this route, but if it is confirmed compatible for you, it would be a true across the board upgrade you could feel. Not as good as going with a new build, but far easier and cheaper, and may give you what you want. If the FM2+ isn't supported by your board, going with FM2 quad core of slightly lower model will work, and those are mostly $25-$35 or so.

I really can not stress enough how limiting it is to be confined to just two cores, and have both of them with low cache, low ram interface, and low IPC. If I had one of these on hand I'd mail it to you for the price of shipping just to not see you suffer for no reason.

What's your Mobo model?

cyphercat

Feb 17, 2020
To be brutally honest, under any reasonable measure, that is a pretty rough spot to be in CPU wise. It was basically at the entry level for that APU series more than a few years ago now. The good news is that upgrades are there for you that would give you a lift you could feel. Dual cores, especially ones with marginal single thread performance, are best left in the past or for light duty use cases.

The A4 6300 is a dual-core 3.7/3.9Ghz with 1MB (!!!!) of cache, on Richland core, FM2 socket. Has DDR3 1600 support, and is 32nm from 2013.

There are A10 8750B Pro available on eBay for under $50. That gives you double the cores and cache, DDR3-2133 memory controller (will still work with slower, but give you the option for OC or faster ram types), Godavari core from 2015, called "FM2+" platform.

You'd have to check if your Mobo and bios support such an option before going this route, but if it is confirmed compatible for you, it would be a true across the board upgrade you could feel. Not as good as going with a new build, but far easier and cheaper, and may give you what you want. If the FM2+ isn't supported by your board, going with FM2 quad core of slightly lower model will work, and those are mostly $25-$35 or so.

I really can not stress enough how limiting it is to be confined to just two cores, and have both of them with low cache, low ram interface, and low IPC. If I had one of these on hand I'd mail it to you for the price of shipping just to not see you suffer for no reason.

What's your Mobo model?
Gigabyte Ga-f2a68hm-h

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
FX is just bad in games. I do like cheap cpu upgrades for that platform though. It can definitely tide you over until you can get an R5 3600 (R5 2600 is fantastic deal too) and all the required hardware to run it.

But treat your current motherboard as a dead platform. Don't spend more than $30 on it. Definitely time to build a new pc.

Reactions: ao_ika_red

cyphercat

Feb 17, 2020
Thanks for the advice everyone. Im not going to try and solve the mystery of how people on Youtube were getting crazy results with only the mobo being different. Upgrading a couple of things just seems the easiest and headache free option.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Thanks for the advice everyone. Im not going to try and solve the mystery of how people on Youtube were getting crazy results with only the mobo being different. Upgrading a couple of things just seems the easiest and headache free option.
can you link to these youtube videos?

cyphercat

Feb 17, 2020
can you link to these youtube videos?
I'm really sorry to say this but I checked and the processors are different.
I'm also sorry for wasting everyone's time. I honestly thought that I read the processors they were using were FX 6300's.

But it's nice to know that I'm getting the kind of performance you would expect, even if it's low. There's a lot of good insight into why my system performs the way it does in the first place and I'm glad to have gotten that out of posting.

Shivansps

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2013
A4-6300 is petty much a glorified single core and a slow one at that. You are going to have a very large CPU bottleneck on FM2 even with dual module APU/CPUs. Trust me, even a Athlon 200GE/3000GE is a huge upgrade to use with a dgpu compared to everything on FM2.

Reactions: cyphercat