MSI 694T - used to use Tualatin just fine, now only works with non-Tualatin

Parrotheader

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 1999
I've had a 1.3Gig Tualatin-based Celeron running just fine in this board for close to two years now. But recently my system kept spontaneously rebooting or locking up.

I troubleshot every single component in and around the sytem. I finally isolated the problem being with the processor and/or motherboard. I swapped out my 1.3 Celeron with an older 900Mhz Celeron I had in another system. The system runs just fine with the non-Tualatin 900Mhz Celeron. No problems at all. But I don't think the problem is entirely with the 1.3 Celeron. I have another 1.3 Celeron in another machine in the house (I like to keep all my systems on the same platform for trickle-down upgradability) that's working just fine. I put the second 1.3 Celeron in the MSI 694T and it too would experience the same freezing/reboot problems. I checked all the bios settings and even messed with the voltage just to make sure it wasn't that.

So it seems like the problem is with the mobo. For some reason it suddenly seems like it won't run with Tualatin based chips. Anybody have any theories on what might be wrong? (I realize it's an older system, but I was hoping to salvage it for just a bit longer so I could hold off on a major upgrade until the new Socket 775 systems come out in a couple months.)