MS Word doesn't like my resume

IHAVEAQUESTION

Golden Member
Nov 30, 2005
Really no idea why these two phrases got underlined for fragments in MS Word, if someone can help, I would greatly appreciate it.

Example 1: Collaborated with sales and warehouse units to promote quality customer services.

Example 2: Performed general accounting duties, such as Account Receivable and Cash Flow Administration.

Ok so what's wrong with these two phrases?

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
If you click on Tools>>Options>>Spelling & Grammar you can turn off the $%^&%$# grammar checker. It is usually wrong anyway.

IHAVEAQUESTION

Golden Member
Nov 30, 2005
I really don't want employers to see the underlines, I can ignore them on my MS word but is it going to show up on others' computer?

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Nothing wrong with them in the context that you are using them but they dont have an active subject which is why Word is crying. Adding the word "I" to the start of each would make Word happy but you look stupid.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
Originally posted by: IHAVEAQUESTION
Really no idea why these two phrases got underlined for fragments in MS Word, if someone can help, I would greatly appreciate it.

Example 1: Collaborated with sales and warehouse units to promote quality customer services.

Example 2: Performed general accounting duties, such as Account Receivable and Cash Flow Administration.

Ok so what's wrong with these two phrases?

I really love reading resumes.

Example 1: I was the guy at the loading dock who answered the phone
Example 2: I counted the cash in the drawer at the end of the day .
:)

Seriously though, I see nothing wrong with those sentences.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
That is because you are lying too much. Dial back the baseless lies and it will work again.

biggestmuff

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2001
I really don't want employers to see the underlines, I can ignore them on my MS word but is it going to show up on others' computer?

Right click on the fragment and select 'ignore fragment'.

However, I think the markup setting is user based. Another PC with Word on it will flag the fragments or will do whatever setting that user has loaded.

Oct 20, 2005

Yes, if their computers have the grammar check on. But who cares.

Second, this isn't about grammar, but you should try to rewrite those sentences in more of a way that sells yourself. If at all possible, try to make your responsbilities show that you improved something.

For example, with your accounting one, show how you were able to obtain $xxxxxx from past due payments, or something like that. Don't just say "I did general accounting duties"