MS really getting "Forceful" about Win11 installation for Win10 users.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Popped up a full-screen whatsit, gave me two options, "Got it", and "Schedule". Clicking the second option gets you to another screen, where you can decline, which brings you to another screen to confirm your declination ("Go to Win10").

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I can't say I'm surprised, during the Win10 free upgrade offer they decided that clicking on the X to cancel the notification constituted an agreement to the upgrade.

• Wow
Reactions: igor_kavinski

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
With the Win10 upgrade there was also a registry key to stop the offer. I haven't seen a good registry key change for the 11 update offer; some key suggestions disable WU altogether, others rely on changing the key to the current win10 feature update.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Forgot to mention two things:
1) This was not "the first time" that I had to decline the Win11 update. (on that particular PC)
2) I just noticed tonight, that that PC wasn't even activated.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Forgot to mention two things:
1) This was not "the first time" that I had to decline the Win11 update. (on that particular PC)
2) I just noticed tonight, that that PC wasn't even activated.

It would be funny if MS's hard-on for steering users into the upgrade was so great that an unactivated copy of Win10 upgraded to 11 resulted in an activation :D

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Microsoft has long been strangely aggressive about upgrades and OS features, including telemetry. It's ironic that people grouse about Apple being pushy when it's relatively unintrusive. MacOS may notify you that the next big release is available, but it doesn't try to trick you into installation.

Reactions: Pohemi

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
I am not justifing the Disgusting behavior but the reality is...

Microsoft Income comes mainly from Business/Commercial users.

Apple main income comes from consumers (relatively young ones).

So while they are both providing OS there approaches are Not similar.

:cool:

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Stuff like this makes me so glad I run Linux now. I hate how predatory MS is these days, it's like you don't even own your own computer.
I've been surprised at how much I've liked linux on my laptop recently. It helps that Rimworld runs on it and that's been eating up my spare time!

Jul 27, 2020
A customer's computer today gave me the usual Start menu choice of 'update and shutdown / restart'; I assumed it had some Win10 update to install. It installed Win11.
Yeah. Happened to me too. On a critical work PC. When I realized it was installing Win11, I felt slightly sick because an important intranet page officially required Internet Explorer. Though what surprised me was that everything worked fine and actually worked better in Microsoft Edge. That site feels really snappy now.

• Wow

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Yeah. Happened to me too. On a critical work PC. When I realized it was installing Win11, I felt slightly sick because an important intranet page officially required Internet Explorer. Though what surprised me was that everything worked fine and actually worked better in Microsoft Edge. That site feels really snappy now.

The (mission critical) computer I was working on has suspected stability issues, and I was kind of hoping to make a single change to its setup and test.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Not every Joe can do this, but as @Sick Willie mentioned, I just turn off TPM in the BIOS on my wife's and mom's computers. When they are ready to upgrade - I'll switch it back.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Have 2 systems, a Desktop and a Laptop. When nagged about Win11 on the Laptop I chose to do it. The first problem I ran into was that the Taskbar is on the bottom only. I don't want it there. My Desktop will stay on Win10. Removing features is not progress.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Not every Joe can do this, but as @Sick Willie mentioned, I just turn off TPM in the BIOS on my wife's and mom's computers. When they are ready to upgrade - I'll switch it back.

From this point onwards I'll be doing things like that, though there aren't many PCs I take care of where I'd consider it to be essential that they stay on Win10. I have a feeling the PC I just mentioned probably won't let the TPM be disabled though (Intel NUC).

Have 2 systems, a Desktop and a Laptop. When nagged about Win11 on the Laptop I chose to do it. The first problem I ran into was that the Taskbar is on the bottom only. I don't want it there. My Desktop will stay on Win10. Removing features is not progress.

Yup, what they've done with the taskbar on Win11 irritates me no end (e.g. no options wrt taskbar grouping / labels, the tray can't be set to 'all on', and 22H2's re-arrangement of File Explorer so that the money-spinning OneDrive is at the top of the navigation bar... it just screams "our priorities are more important than yours".

quartz01

Dec 31, 2022
Ive just bought a new comp with windows 10 and I'm almost horrified that it wont even let you into the operating system without registering an email

I know theyve been saying this for a while but it seems more and more you dont own your computer you rent it

newbie question but does anyone know how to get into the bios on an asus vivobook

also another newb question but I had to set the password to 1234a
does anyone know how to set this to 1234 or something
ms gave me an error about password security
ms seems more concerned about so called security than it being useable

Last edited:

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Ive just bought a new comp with windows 10 and I'm almost horrified that it wont even let you into the operating system without registering an email

Disconnect it from the network to begin with, then it will ask you to create a local account instead.

(yes, having to do that irritates me too, and win11 is even more obnoxious in this respect)

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
thanks, as in, wifi off?

Win10: Either don't connect ethernet, or when it asks about connecting to wifi 'skip for now'. It'll then say, "are you sure? there are huge amounts of benefits for us!", confirm that you want to skip.

quartz01

Dec 31, 2022
this might be worth a separate thread its just another irritation

I saved a txt file using win 7 to a USB stick
when I tried to open this txt file on the win10 comp it was corrupted

first time a text file has corrupted over 2 computers for me. win10 isnt good so far

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
this might be worth a separate thread its just another irritation

I saved a txt file using win 7 to a USB stick
when I tried to open this txt file on the win10 comp it was corrupted

first time a text file has corrupted over 2 computers for me. win10 isnt good so far

I doubt that this is Win 10 or any OS) .txt file is a TXT file regardless of the OS.

:cool:

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
It would be funny if MS's hard-on for steering users into the upgrade was so great that an unactivated copy of Win10 upgraded to 11 resulted in an activation :D
Didn't MS do that for the upgrade from 7/8/8.1 to 10 ? Or did I miss the sarcasm? lol

Last edited: