Question MS Outlook, Gmail and Calendars

TheThirdMan

Jul 5, 2011
Hi all,

We're thinking of getting some macs in our organisation but I wanted to clarify something around outlook and gmail and wondered if any of you had any experience with this. In Windows Outlook, you can't properly sync google calendars fully with office. To do so, you need an additional little app from google that runs in the background to sync up calendars. With that app, it works fine.

Does anyone have any experience with this on Mac? From what I've seen calendars don't synchronise with outlook and a gmail account, though some have mentioned using ical as an inbetween - sync ical with Gmail and then outlook with ical?

Chiefcrowe

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
Great question. I don't know the answer but a long time ago I tried to get Outlook to sync with the icloud calendar but the apple techs said it couldn't be done so I basically gave up. Instead started using the icloud calendar program exclusively and abandoned the calendar in Outlook.

I'm not sure but you may have to use a google app to sync google calendars with mac?
It would be interesting if what you mentioned was possible but it seems like a cumbersome workaround with potential for sync problems.

It's too bad it wouldn't work seamlessly but apple doesn't really have any incentive to make it easy to do that since they're competing with MS.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
It's not the greatest if you are supporting this for a business. A few of the companies that I work with that have gone to Google Workspace have stopped installing the MS Office products and forced everyone into using a browser. At minimum, they don't offer Outlook anymore as an option if they retain Word, Excel and Powerpoint.

MaceDocea

Nov 10, 2022
To synchronize the calendar on each device, you need to open the phone settings and find the section responsible for accounts. Click on the line with the Google account, then go to the synchronization settings. Activate the slider next to your calendar to sync it with your Google account. Otherwise, I can't help you because I prefer to print out my calendar more. The last time my wife and I printed out the march 2023 calendar was because there will be a lot of events and birthdays for our friends this month. It's a great idea not to forget to congratulate anyone.

Last edited: