MS Office Update: Remove Swastikas

klah

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2002
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=7D2DB3C2-D91A-4015-A51D-9DE240FEB72A&displaylang=en

Microsoft to Cut Swastikas from Fonts

rolleye.gif

boran

Golden Member
Jun 17, 2001
idiot's a swastica might be associated with hitler etc, but he didnt invent it, and what if you actually need it, this is so much 1984 (george orwell)

wjsulliv

May 29, 2001
idiot's a swastica might be associated with hitler etc, but he didnt invent it, and what if you actually need it, this is so much 1984 (george orwell)

The only people who are idiots are Microsoft for including it in any language for any reason.

It doesn't matter who invented the symbol it matters what it currently means, etc.

Do you think Microsoft would have included any symbol that ment the unacceptable words for Hispanic or African American?

Codewiz

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2002
Originally posted by: wjsulliv

The only people who are idiots are Microsoft for including it in any language for any reason.

It doesn't matter who invented the symbol it matters what it currently means, etc.

Do you think Microsoft would have included any symbol that ment the unacceptable words for Hispanic or African American?

So we should burn any books that have unacceptable meanings? Yeah that is the ticket.

Sounds just Nazi Germany......

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Codewiz

So we should burn any books that have unacceptable meanings? Yeah that is the ticket.

That's ridiculous. I hope you are being sarcastic. It's like a company stopping production on a book it printed, burning its copies of the book, and offering to burn yours.

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
The PC police should just die. They can be beaten to death with piles of paper with thousands of little swastikas printed on them for all I care.

ZimZum

Golden Member
Aug 2, 2001
Its their software they can do what they want with it. There are far more worthy things in the world to be outraged about than a software company removing swastikas from fonts
rolleye.gif

rbV5

Lifer
Dec 10, 2000
and what if you actually need it, this is so much 1984

Thats just a load of crap. Do you have Bookshelf Symbol 7 installed on your rig? Make your own swastica font if you "need" it idiot:frown:

Technonut

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2000
Originally posted by: boran
I found This interesting:
"The Swastika" is the oldest cross and emblem in the world. It forms a combination of four "L's" standing for Luck, Light, Love and Life. It has been found in ancient Rome, excavations in Grecian cities, on Buddhist idols, on Chinese coins dated 315 B.C., and our own Southwest Indians use it as an amulet.

Nothinman

Elite Member
Sep 14, 2001
The swastica itself isn't the point, it's the precedent this could set. Imagine if every group offended by something asked microsoft to remove it? One of MS' XP logos looks like it has a guy jumping off, what if a suicide group decide that might be bad for suicidal people and wanted MS to remove it?

Microsoft removing a symbol from a font that most people didn't even know existed is stupid. And to add to the stupidity the swastica wasn't even created by Hitler, he stole it and changed it's meaning. They had better remove the letter K too because it's used in the KKK and that offends me and probably a lot of black people.

Now if there are any Buddhism docs done in Office they'll have to redo all the swasticas after getting this 'update'. heh

A form of the swastika has been used in the Buddhist religion to symbolize the feet or footprints of the Buddha. The symbol, which was also used widely in the ancient world including Mesopotamia, Scandinavia, India and the Americas, became common in China and Japan with the spread of Buddhism.

mundane

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2002
Originally posted by: ZimZum
Its their software they can do what they want with it. There are far more worthy things in the world to be outraged about than a software company removing swastikas from fonts
rolleye.gif

Well said. That should've been enough to end this discussion.

Frightcrawler

Oct 15, 2003
Originally posted by: Technonut
Originally posted by: boran
I found This interesting:
"The Swastika" is the oldest cross and emblem in the world. It forms a combination of four "L's" standing for Luck, Light, Love and Life. It has been found in ancient Rome, excavations in Grecian cities, on Buddhist idols, on Chinese coins dated 315 B.C., and our own Southwest Indians use it as an amulet.

its a shame that hitler had to use it in a way which scared people to death.

Codewiz

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2002
Originally posted by: n0cmonkey
Originally posted by: Codewiz

That's ridiculous. I hope you are being sarcastic. It's like a company stopping production on a book it printed, burning its copies of the book, and offering to burn yours.

I thought my post was pretty clear. Removing the swastika is STUPID. This PC bullsh*t has gone too far. We can't "burn" everything out there just because some people are offended.

Frightcrawler

Oct 15, 2003
sorry to interrupt this war, but i would just like to point out this reminds me of "Fahrenheit 451."
its surprisingly similiar to this.

oLLie

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2001
How can it possibly be related to four L's and how can it stand for Luck Light Love and Life if it was seen as early as 315BC in China? He didn't detect any discrepancy when he wrote that article?

Nevermind I should have actually read the link:
Thus the ascription of Luck, Light, Love, and Life to the amulet is simply an English mnemonic

boran

Golden Member
Jun 17, 2001
Originally posted by: rbV5
and what if you actually need it, this is so much 1984

Thats just a load of crap. Do you have Bookshelf Symbol 7 installed on your rig? Make your own swastica font if you "need" it idiot:frown:

super plus badspeak there matey :p

read all preceding posts about the real meaning of the swastika, what if I write a dissertation about it etc.

now go read 1984 from george orwell and get educated, good read.

Jeff7181

Lifer
Aug 21, 2002
Watch someone create a font package for Windows that replaces everything MS will take out :D

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
My old college's sign, the four winds, is a particular kind of swastika, though instead of right angles the arms are curved. It seems pretty stupid to omit the symbol since it can be used in a paper concerning either nazism or buddhism. Maybe a paper on the different cultural uses for the symbol and its eventual appropriation by the nazi party.

WobbleWobble

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001

But the "good" swastica is still widely used, especially in Asia. I don't have the font to check out, but if I remember correctly Hitler's swastica is backwards of the "good" swastica. Which one is the font's?