MS is going to make things a LOT harder for PC techs with Win11, TPM 2.0 and SED SSDs, good for "security", bad for tech-support.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
can i get a windows 11 gaming edition...

i don't need the pro and home features.
i don't need it to be secure, i need it to be fully accessible.

give me a gaming version, where all the security minus a few critical things are turned off.
Hackers want to ransomware my browser history i can care less, but if a feature breaks my games, or makes things harder for my pc to run a game, pass.

I know a lot of people that did not eve upgrade past 7 until they were forced to because of some games they played.

Magic Carpet

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2011
This is the market (pictured below) MS doesn’t want to address.

The glory days, when you were in full control of your hardware at the expense of blue screens are long gone now. MS has not been the same dominant force ever since Gates left. Windows 11 as a whole is now half Linux (WSL), half Android (store), unthinkable back in 2001, lmao. They stopped caring about Windows a long time now. When Balmer had lost the multi-billion mobile business to Google.

If it weren’t for gaming and the specialty apps market, I don’t know what else Windows would be good for, today. Windows 11 Gaming SKU minus all the tablet/security/telemetry junk would certainly look good in my eyes, yet MS wants to sell you XBOX instead with that idea, with a monthly subscription (game pass) on top of that, they have been buying studios en masse (23 as of today) for a reason. The future is bright 😈

1629279299747.png

I know a lot of people that did not eve upgrade past 7 until they were forced to because of some games they played.
Hopefully Steam Deck will help to solve some of that, but it's likely to be another unobtainium product in the near term. Sucks to be a gamer these days. Sucks to have little choice.

Last edited:

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I wish game devs, hardware makers etc would get their heads out of their asses and start providing better Linux support. Windows is going downhill more and more and there is less and less reason to use it except for scenarios where you don't have a choice because some game or hardware you bought only works in it.

It seems windows has gone the full agenda 2030/great reset route. You don't really own it, it owns you. It's a matter of time until they require a MS account to simply log in to your own PC, and also make it subscription based. You will own nothing and be happy.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
There are some very good reasons why game devs aren't going the Linux route. But that's another topic for another time.

Meanwhile I'm on Win11 22000.176 through the Insider program, and none of my drives self-encrypted during install. They weren't bitlockered in Win10 either.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
including the 3-2-1 rule

AKA: "If your data doesn't exist in a minimum of 3 places, it doesn't exist at all"

Approach data-integrity/security this way and you'll never get caught flat-footed.... this is the way I was taught.

None of this will be an issue for me personally since exporting/backing up an encryption key is not very complicated, BUT considering the number of completely tech-illiterate folks walking among us its not a great idea to require it without also requiring that people can actually use it!

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
AKA: "If your data doesn't exist in a minimum of 3 places, it doesn't exist at all"

Approach data-integrity/security this way and you'll never get caught flat-footed.

None of this will be an issue for me personally since exporting/backing up an encryption key is not very complicated, BUT considering the number of completely tech-illiterate folks walking among us its not a great idea to require it without also requiring that people can actually use it!
Yeah, I should have an off-prem backup of my Documents and Pictures folders. Good reminder. Hmm, wonder if Dashlane give me any storage. Also, I need to automate it.

Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Yeah, I should have an off-prem backup of my Documents and Pictures folders. Good reminder. Hmm, wonder if Dashlane give me any storage. Also, I need to automate it.

A "cloud" backup would count as an "off premise" backup, only potential problem is that it can be a challenge making sure it stays fully current.

Thing is that if you allow it to run constantly in the background it can easily be corrupted by the same attacks that hit a local system/backup. (ie: ransomware)

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012

Approach data-integrity/security this way and you'll never get caught flat-footed.... this is the way I was taught.

No one can really argue with that. You had a good teacher.

Well, that's not happening anytime soon. How to even begin I have no idea.

Thing is that if you allow it to run constantly in the background it can easily be corrupted by the same attacks that hit a local system/backup. (ie: ransomware)

Always have an offline backup for exact reason. Optical discs are perfect for this, because once written, they cannot be changed by software. Unless you're using packet writing. Which you shouldn't.

Yes, I'm old fashion. But have also been around the block many times.

Reactions: Captante

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Hence the comment about automation. I would prefer to do weekly, versioned backups.
I was more worried about equipment failures than malware, etc. That is until I found out the NPM repositories have been poisoned (OSS).