MS is going to get owned...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

digitalsm

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2003
Originally posted by: Linflas
John Dvorak was right on target when he said back at the beginning of the Microsoft action against Lindows that it was one of the dumbest things Microsoft could do. The term "Windows" can be seen as very generic. The smart thing for Microsoft to have done in my opinion is take the Intel route and devise a new acronym to describe their OS families.

Then its time to start yanking trademarks, of everyone.

Sideswipe001

Golden Member
May 23, 2003
It's total BS that microsoft could force "Lindows" to change its name. I don't care if they do suck. They are different words. They are different OSes. Who cares if they sound similar when you say them?

It's a bull crap lawsuit that they might well win (for some unfathomable reason. I'd throw this out if I was a judge that had to hear it) that is just an example of the strongarm monopolist Microsoft tactics.

Spencer278

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 2002
Originally posted by: digitalsm
Originally posted by: notfred
So they're saying the trademark isn't valid since it's just a normal English word?

They(Lindows) dont have a chance. This is a last ditch effort.

Yes, in America, you cannot put a trademark, copyright, or claim ownership on any word in the English language. (or at least one in the Dictionary)

Yeah most trademarks are common words in the English language. Theres not a judge in the US that will rule in favor of Lindows on this case.

lindows.com does have a valid case be windows is a genric term in computers to discribe a window. If there isn't a judge in the US that would rule in favor of lindows why hasn't one ruled in favor of MS. I think it has been at least a year maybe 2.

for got to say the lindows sucks and it killed my network card.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
in other words, MS is driving down its own stock price the last couple of years with their own shenanigans...

25 ?! *shakes head in astonishment*

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Like Ive said in the countless threads here in the past few days about the EU fine and crap like this, if MS was smart they should just pull up stakes and close shop. The world woulds technology would crumble in heart beat. Ssadly I dont think MS can legal do this as its publicly owned etc, but THE WORLD has to realize that MS literally has them by the balls. So many things from large to small operations rely on MS OSes its stagging.

Spencer278

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 2002
Originally posted by: Homerboy
Like Ive said in the countless threads here in the past few days about the EU fine and crap like this, if MS was smart they should just pull up stakes and close shop. The world woulds technology would crumble in heart beat. Ssadly I dont think MS can legal do this as its publicly owned etc, but THE WORLD has to realize that MS literally has them by the balls. So many things from large to small operations rely on MS OSes its stagging.

And all the EU has to do is invalidaty MS copyright and then MS would be scrwed.

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
Originally posted by: digitalsm
Originally posted by: Linflas
John Dvorak was right on target when he said back at the beginning of the Microsoft action against Lindows that it was one of the dumbest things Microsoft could do. The term "Windows" can be seen as very generic. The smart thing for Microsoft to have done in my opinion is take the Intel route and devise a new acronym to describe their OS families.

Then its time to start yanking trademarks, of everyone.

Example please? There is a difference between "Windows" and "Microsoft Windows". I am not anti Microsoft I just think they are taking a risky legal road that could lead to them losing their trademark.

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
Originally posted by: Spencer278

And all the EU has to do is invalidaty MS copyright and then MS would be scrwed.

English please?

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Originally posted by: rh71
in other words, MS is driving down its own stock price the last couple of years with their own shenanigans...

Actually, that's a fair valuation of MS stock given the company's fundamentals. It's actually very slightly over-valued.

ZV

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
Originally posted by: Zenmervolt

Actually, that's a fair valuation of MS stock given the company's fundamentals. It's actually very slightly over-valued.

ZV

I think rh71 also didn't take into account the split last year back when it was $50ish - he just sees $25 and assumes it's low

Doubtful. Many government agencies Im sure have the source code to windows. If windows closes shop, they could simply release the source code to the public or sell it off to the highest bidder.

blakeatwork

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2001
Originally posted by: ThaGrandCow
Originally posted by: NuclearFusi0n
Originally posted by: Xiety
Windows > Lindows.

All MS haters can go to hell.
Gentoo > Windows > Lindows

For that 1% of the population that is trained on linux, yes.
For the rest of the population that was raised on Windows and it "just works" for them because that's what they know how to use, then no.

I'm all for Linux/OSS taking over, I'm even trying to convert myself over to it. Until I can install it on my computer and have my roomates and other people that use my computer even remotely know how to use it when sitting down at it, I will still always choose Windows. In most cases, it's worth the additional 1-2 crashes a month that Windows does over Linux in order to stay compatible and work for everyone that doesn't want to go to class again just to use a computer.

Seriously, how bad is your system configuration that you have "1 or 2 additional crashes a month"??

While I agree Windows has had more than it's share of problems and issues during the course of it's lifetime, I fail to understand how people can make XP crap out on such a regular basis.. shyte, even the most illiterate computer n00b, can usually go about 6 months from time of purchase of their machine/OS, before running into issues with spyware, or viruses (which wouldn;'t be MS related anyways), or having their first GPF..

A Windows OS install is portable as well, and can go from machine to machine, with a Repair installation. Yes, you ahve to reactivate it, but really, it only takes 5-10 minutes.. 20 tops if you have to talk to someone.

I also enjoy using *nix, and have puttered around in gentoo a little bit... but for simlistic ease of use from the ground up, there's really nothign better then Windows, currently.

Turkish

Lifer
May 26, 2003
Till the end of 1999, when Windows 2000 came out, I had 4-5 crashes total (maybe less?). Same with XP....

Windows > Linux.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Originally posted by: RagingBITCH
Originally posted by: Zenmervolt

ZV

I think rh71 also didn't take into account the split last year back when it was $50ish - he just sees $25 and assumes it's low
Ahh good point... didn't realize it had a cause for a split at $50. I'm not a financial guy, but I thought splits only happened around $100. I remember when MS was hovering near $45 and now I saw 25... took it at face value.