MS Flight Sim X

bigi

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2001
I've read this is very resource hungry simulation.
Those of you who have it, do you think that 8800GT 512 and Quad are good enough to play it well???

Thanks

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
I have a 6600 Core 2 Duo, 4GB ram, and a 8800GTS 640 and it runs fine in Vista. It was a big slower in XP. Yes, MS actually got the thing to look great and perform like a champ in Vista compared to XP.

effee

Golden Member
Sep 4, 2004
It should run fine...i actually find the game really boring after a few take offs and landings..

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
Originally posted by: bigi
I've read this is very resource hungry simulation.
Those of you who have it, do you think that 8800GT 512 and Quad are good enough to play it well???

Thanks

Hmm...the third fastest video card on the market, and a top of the line CPU.....honestly, what do you think? I'm still wondering if my 8800GT can handle Quake 2 myself.

Smilin

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2002
Originally posted by: effee
It should run fine...i actually find the game really boring after a few take offs and landings..

If you're playing it as a game, then yea I could see how it would get boring.
If you play it as a sim on the other hand...try ILS landing a commercial jet.

Regarding the OP:
Yeah. You're actually going to find going to that quad helps more than anything.

I believe Sim X spins up 3 threads.

TheSlamma

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
Originally posted by: Genx87
I have a 6600 Core 2 Duo, 4GB ram, and a 8800GTS 640 and it runs fine in Vista. It was a big slower in XP. Yes, MS actually got the thing to look great and perform like a champ in Vista compared to XP.
Thats odd. My free Games for Windows Mag this month said the DX10 was not worth Vista as it ran better on XP :confused:[

bigi

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2001
Hmm...the third fastest video card on the market, and a top of the line CPU.....honestly, what do you think? I'm still wondering if my 8800GT can handle Quake 2 myself.

People will never cease to amaze me with their ignorance.

"1st on the market, top of the line" - so what. If you had a little understanding how insignigicant this is...

Have you ever heard of chess or traveling salesman ???

Well, this is a rhetoric question in your case my friend.

No matter how many quads you have computers are still much too slow to calculate certain things.

MS Flight Simulator is not just a game. It has to calculate "few" things here and there. I just wanted to get an idea how current hardware deals with it. Do me a favor and stay with your Quake 2. Kapisch?

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
Originally posted by: bigi

People will never cease to amaze me with their ignorance.

"1st on the market, top of the line" - so what. If you had a little understanding how insignigicant this is...

Have you ever heard of chess or traveling salesman ???

Well, this is a rhetoric question in your case my friend.

No matter how many quads you have computers are still much too slow to calculate certain things.

MS Flight Simulator is not just a game. It has to calculate "few" things here and there. I just wanted to get an idea how current hardware deals with it. Do me a favor and stay with your Quake 2. Kapisch?

System req's from their website is....

Microsoft® Windows® XP SP2 / Vista
PC with 1 GHz equivalent or higher processor
256 MB of system RAM for Windows XP SP2 / 512 MB Vista
14 GB available hard disk space
DVD-ROM drive
32 MB DirectX 9 compatible video card required

I think your high end system can handle it. I somehow doubt they'll release a product that no pc can run.

Apr 29, 2007
i tried the demo with rig in sig. iirc, i got somewhere like 30-45fps on highest? im not too sure. it was playable and on max though. 1680 1050. yeah it is very resource hoggy....i think it was the laggiest game ive played before crysis was out.

And take my words with a grain of salt cos this was months ago on the DEMO that i played for maybe 20min before uninstalling.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Originally posted by: StinkyPinky
System req's from their website is....

Microsoft® Windows® XP SP2 / Vista
PC with 1 GHz equivalent or higher processor
256 MB of system RAM for Windows XP SP2 / 512 MB Vista
14 GB available hard disk space
DVD-ROM drive
32 MB DirectX 9 compatible video card required

I think your high end system can handle it. I somehow doubt they'll release a product that no pc can run.

Have you ever played it before? I was amazed at how big of a resource hog it is. I couldn't believe it when I loaded it up.

JasonSix78

Platinum Member
Mar 5, 2005
AMD X2 6000+, 2x1GB DDR2, 8800 GTS 320MB here and I can run everything on high with a few mediums no problem. I'm certain a Quad Core + 8800 GT would run it better. My 8800 GT step-up won't be here until after Christmas but if you're still interested I'll share some performance results with you. Just let me know. I'm running XP Pro by the way.

Here's a video I captured with FRAPS of me playing a chopper mission in FSX. When I load saved games my graphics settings get messed up, but it gives you some idea of how it performs.

Video Here