MS-DOS Program that changed game values on RAM

b4u

Golden Member
Nov 8, 2002
Hi,

I'm feeling nostalgic today :) and I'm trying to remember the name of a software I used on the 90's, for gaming.

The software would run on MS-DOS, it was started as a demon and then I would start a game.

On some point in the game, I would press the keyboard shortcut and the application would pop in front, and I would insert a value, say for instance 100 ammo (the ammo I had on that moment in the game).

Then back into the game, I would make a few shots, in order to change the amount of ammo, and pressed the shortcut again to get into the program.

In the program, I would then insert the new updated ammo value, say 95 for instance.

On each input, the program would check the memory for this value changes, until at best it detects/filters the position where the value was being stored.

Then, I could use the program features to update that value to say 999, or set it to be automatically managed by the program to 999.

Back into the game, it would mean that I had unlimited ammo. The same could be done with life health, for instance.

I cannot remember the name of the software, does anyone remembers?

Thanks

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013
That's called a trainer. Generally they're game specific, although I can't say I have any experience with ones of an MS-DOS age.

b4u

Golden Member
Nov 8, 2002
That's called a trainer. Generally they're game specific, although I can't say I have any experience with ones of an MS-DOS age.

Exactly, it was used as a trainer but it was a generic one, since it would track down values on memory. I've been looking around, but still haven't found the one I'm referring to.

If any one around remembers what it is, it would be great. :)

b4u

Golden Member
Nov 8, 2002
I think I remember that program, but not the name. When you mentioned memory - remember QEMM?

Yes I remember that, it was a memory management software, I do believe it would allow software (in this case games) to use extended memory, or at least to use a better memory management api.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I had several DOS programs that let me hex edit files, and had profiles for popular games.
But I never saw one that worked on memory.

(I gave myself 99999 max ammo in Doom.)

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
There was plenty of them that would monitor memory changes and then let you change those values.

However if you are wanting one for today's games, they are much harder to do. As there are security features to prevent you from reading memory that does not belong to the trainer, and you can no longer easily decompile an executable to gather information on memory usage.

Plus they are blatant cheats, just play the game as it should be played ;)

mrblotto

Golden Member
Jul 7, 2007
lol I remember I had to run 'memmaker' quite a few times to get the amount of conventional memory needed to run Tie Fighter. It had some absurdly high required amount :/

edit autoexec.bat
reboot
not enough memory!

edit autoexec.bat
edit config.sys
reboot
still not enough memory!

edit autoexec.bat
edit config.sys
memmaker

omg FINALLY enough memory!

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Eventually I had to make boot disks for almost all my games. They always had different requirements and it was too much hassle to keep reconfiguring.

Plus my dad needed a certain configuration for his big Word documents (he sometimes worked from home).

kn51

Aug 16, 2012
memmaker.exe was a game itself. I saved another 1K!!! Felt like you should have gotten an achievement.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
there are now ones for windows 10 and 64 bit.

you can get cheat engine, its basically the same thing as your describing.
You alt tab or change windows imput a value and do a search.

BE WARNED THO USE OF CHEAT ENGINE IN MULTIPLAYER IS A QUICK WAY TO GET YOU BANED.

Also we will not promote the use of CHEAT ENGINE in multiplayer games on this forum.

For single player games however, your more then welcome to discuss to some degree but we will not promote the sharing of trainer tables.

You can download Cheat Engine here, its free:
http://www.cheatengine.org/

You can find Tables here:
http://fearlessrevolution.com/viewforum.php?f=4

Again i would make sure Cheat Engine is Turned off, or even a reboot of OS before you decide to hop onto a Multiplayer game.

I and this forum will not be held liable in anyway if you get yourself BANED from a multiplayer from the use of Cheat Engine.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
there are now ones for windows 10 and 64 bit.

you can get cheat engine, its basically the same thing as your describing.
You alt tab or change windows imput a value and do a search.

BE WARNED THO USE OF CHEAT ENGINE IN MULTIPLAYER IS A QUICK WAY TO GET YOU BANED.

Also we will not promote the use of CHEAT ENGINE in multiplayer games on this forum.

For single player games however, your more then welcome to discuss to some degree but we will not promote the sharing of trainer tables.

You can download Cheat Engine here, its free:
http://www.cheatengine.org/

You can find Tables here:
http://fearlessrevolution.com/viewforum.php?f=4

Again i would make sure Cheat Engine is Turned off, or even a reboot of OS before you decide to hop onto a Multiplayer game.

I and this forum will not be held liable in anyway if you get yourself BANED from a multiplayer from the use of Cheat Engine.

Cheat Engine is supposed to be an evolution of L Spiros Memory Hacking Software right? I have cracked so many binaries with help from that program that its just not funny, that and ollydbg in the other hand .., and few other in the belt, damn son, you be invincible.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Cheat Engine is supposed to be an evolution of L Spiros Memory Hacking Software right? I have cracked so many binaries with help from that program that its just not funny, that and ollydbg in the other hand .., and few other in the belt, damn son, you be invincible.

i think so...

i love cheat engine tho...
It supports LUA , and .DLL injection.
You can do scripts and all sorts of other bad boy stuff, to ruin your game or make u feel godlike.